a few things i'mreally having issues with.

thatguy

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Jaimes (average recruit), Hixson (a walk-on), Jurgens (a tight end), Wilson (not 700 player), Farniok (good recruit but he's a guard). Is Raridon that bad? Is Benhart or Piper good enough to play as freshmen? Bando

Think Bando takes Hixsons spot for the rest of the season

Let me preface this by saying I don't like Frost.  Thought he was too inexperienced with head coaching problems and didn't have a handle on football style in the Midwest.  Thought he was more of a Turner Gill Mk II choice.  That being said...

This defense is too slow.  The D line is continually being pancaked on running plays.  The LBs over pursue every time.  Stunts are slow and bring no pressure.  The secondary blows coverage with surprising frequency.  Good backs beat Nebraska to the edge constantly.  The group, as a whole, is undisciplined and has regressed as the season has gone on.

There is a QB controversy at Nebraska...you don't have one.  Martinez is the best bet but he's gotten gun shy.  The O line is horrendous.  When your QB is laying on his back with two D linemen on top of him and there are four O linemen standing up looking at the sky, there is a problem.  D lines are blowing the Husker O line off their feet.  Actually pancaking THEM.  That's not how it's supposed to work.  Running game is Jekel Hyde...great one play, sucks the next...but then the RB gets crushed and injured and that's the end of the running threat.  Receivers...Stoll needs help since he's the only one who can consistently catch a ball but he needs to stay in to block... Other receivers can't get free, drop balls they should catch...but they are good at throwing their arms up and complaining about no pass interference flags.  

Finally...lots of comments on talent and recruiting.  "Look at all our 5 stars!  Look at our recruiting class rankings!"  Great...then how come the Huskers are getting thumped by 2 and 3 star filled teams?  Development maybe?  Coaching?  How come there are QBs out of Council Bluffs and DM starting for D1 teams with some success yet Nebraska failed to look at them.  How does Iowa State get 1000 yard rushers and starting receivers out of Iowa Western when Nebraska doesn't?  Not to mention O linemen.  But, keep on recruiting those studs out of Florida and Texas.  I'm sure they grew up always wanting to play for the Huskers...

This comment is for Frost.  During the ISU game yesterday, we started our hot shot speed back.  Everybody was real high on his talent.  First play, he dropped an easy pass.  Next play, he tipped an easy pass that WV intercepted for a TD.  Campbell replaced him with a freshmen RB the next series.  The freshman gained 120 yards.  Didn't see the hot shot back again.  Campbell will let you earn your chance but if you screw it up, he won't hesitate to replace you.  Scott Frost...you really need to consider that.

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

Big concern for me is the front seven. Secondary gave up some passes (what the heck, Cam?), but the DL and LBs were absolutely rag-dolled. No get-off, JH-level read steps, over-pursuing, getting hooked, watching each other trying to tackle the ball carrier. Just watching. Lunging with their heads down. No chopping the feet, coming to balance, especially needed on a wet field. Makes me wonder what they're being coached. 

These are the BASIC fundamentals of playing defense in football. I've coached long enough to know why this is showing up game after game - they aren't being addressed in practice. I almost guarantee we have some coaches that don't want to tip over the apple cart and let the boys know when they're giving a piss-poor effort and going through the motions. Coaches are worried about their little feelings rather than results. 

Saban gets results because he takes NO CRAP from anyone. He does not care about FEELINGS. If someone isn't performing, he's replaced. I'm not talking about Bo Pelini raging, but real accountability. 'You are getting beat, and your technique is terrible. This is how it should be done. Stand on the sideline while your teammate tries to take your job.' THIS is what should be happening, but it isn't. They let these kids off, bad play after bad play.

These are talented kids. Strong, fast, tough. Experienced. With good coaching and accountability, they COULD be one of the better defenses in the West, if not the B1G. Chinander better change things, and quickly, because it won't be long before we're REALLY calling for heads, and it won't be Frost. 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Finally...lots of comments on talent and recruiting.  "Look at all our 5 stars!  Look at our recruiting class rankings!"  Great...then how come the Huskers are getting thumped by 2 and 3 star filled teams?  Development maybe?  Coaching?  How come there are QBs out of Council Bluffs and DM starting for D1 teams with some success yet Nebraska failed to look at them.  How does Iowa State get 1000 yard rushers and starting receivers out of Iowa Western when Nebraska doesn't?  Not to mention O linemen.  But, keep on recruiting those studs out of Florida and Texas.  I'm sure they grew up always wanting to play for the Huskers..

They are recruiting Florida and Georgia because those are kids who play football as a means to end. No one is talking about our 5* because we don’t have any and of our 4*s, in spite of his struggles AM, and Wan’Dale are legit and we need more of them.

You’re right, development is crucial but you’re telling us that 1.5 years into his tenure that development and culture is going to already be established after 7 years of Pelini promising playing time and not having true competition? 3 years of no accountability under Riley? 17 of 22 starters with 1 year or less D1 experience heading into the season and no seniors on offense. Hate Frost all you wish, Campbell is a great coach and many wanted him if it wasn’t Frost, but people need to chill the heck out because this isn’t a quick 1-3 season pad your resume for 3-4 mediocre seasons before moving on to a bigger job or getting fired, instead he’s establishing a program for beyond his tenure. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

Maybe we should have accepted getting beat by Texas and not started this sorry series of coaching hires. Maybe for once give a coach time to work and understand we suck. Years of bad stuff does not go away overnight. Where is it written Nebraska is good  just because it is Nebraska?  We co-owned a confrence that sucked except for one sometimes two other teams. Sure some of the other teams had a run or two of some success, but nothing that caused concern. We built a pretty good record of wins over a bunch of nobodies. Then our confrence grows and there is more compitition. We no longer no. 1 or 2, and what do we do? Do we suck it up? Do we push on to prove to the others we are better? No we find reasons to complain and we leave. The reasons may or may not have been justified. Now we are in a confrence with what appears to be a tough division and weaker division. We complain about being in the weaker division. But we can't even hold our own in the weaker division. Now we have one of our own come back to coach after we previously showed him our questionable loyality. Now since we are not winning everything. Everyone knows better and says enough progress is not being made. Sorry, but we don't have a smart team. Anyone that is honest with themselves will admit the opposing players were on a higher level than ours were.

Yes it all sucks, I hate being a team we use to walk all over, but what have we done to be better. Nothing but spend money on facilities and coaches. We have the best facilities for a sub par team. It is disgusting. We have made ourselves into a place where an established coach would never think about coming to. We are where coaches come to build a resume and move on. We are a place where troubled NFL coaches will ocme to try to clean up their resume so they can get back to the NFL. We a the purgatory where a troubled college coach will come to do his penance before he can move in the college caching world. And it all started by hiring an individual that would have made a better used car salesman than an Athletic Director.

I no long watch hoping for wins. I watch hoping to see signs of improvment. Now flame away because that is what a forum does best.

I will be disappointed in you don't.

5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Jaimes (average recruit), Hixson (a walk-on), Jurgens (a tight end), Wilson (not 700 player), Farniok (good recruit but he's a guard). Is Raridon that bad? Is Benhart or Piper good enough to play as freshmen? Bando? 

or just realize that those younger guys have potential and be patient.  If good young guys get dinged up and play like that for 4 years they have terrible careers (case in point - TMagic).  Playing young lineman is not the answer.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Let me preface this by saying I don't like Frost.  Thought he was too inexperienced with head coaching problems and didn't have a handle on football style in the Midwest.  Thought he was more of a Turner Gill Mk II choice.  That being said...

This defense is too slow.  The D line is continually being pancaked on running plays.  The LBs over pursue every time.  Stunts are slow and bring no pressure.  The secondary blows coverage with surprising frequency.  Good backs beat Nebraska to the edge constantly.  The group, as a whole, is undisciplined and has regressed as the season has gone on.

There is a QB controversy at Nebraska...you don't have one.  Martinez is the best bet but he's gotten gun shy.  The O line is horrendous.  When your QB is laying on his back with two D linemen on top of him and there are four O linemen standing up looking at the sky, there is a problem.  D lines are blowing the Husker O line off their feet.  Actually pancaking THEM.  That's not how it's supposed to work.  Running game is Jekel Hyde...great one play, sucks the next...but then the RB gets crushed and injured and that's the end of the running threat.  Receivers...Stoll needs help since he's the only one who can consistently catch a ball but he needs to stay in to block... Other receivers can't get free, drop balls they should catch...but they are good at throwing their arms up and complaining about no pass interference flags.  

Finally...lots of comments on talent and recruiting.  "Look at all our 5 stars!  Look at our recruiting class rankings!"  Great...then how come the Huskers are getting thumped by 2 and 3 star filled teams?  Development maybe?  Coaching?  How come there are QBs out of Council Bluffs and DM starting for D1 teams with some success yet Nebraska failed to look at them.  How does Iowa State get 1000 yard rushers and starting receivers out of Iowa Western when Nebraska doesn't?  Not to mention O linemen.  But, keep on recruiting those studs out of Florida and Texas.  I'm sure they grew up always wanting to play for the Huskers...

This comment is for Frost.  During the ISU game yesterday, we started our hot shot speed back.  Everybody was real high on his talent.  First play, he dropped an easy pass.  Next play, he tipped an easy pass that WV intercepted for a TD.  Campbell replaced him with a freshmen RB the next series.  The freshman gained 120 yards.  Didn't see the hot shot back again.  Campbell will let you earn your chance but if you screw it up, he won't hesitate to replace you.  Scott Frost...you really need to consider that.

Let me preface this by saying I don't like Frost.  Thought he was too inexperienced with head coaching problems and didn't have a handle on football style in the Midwest.  Thought he was more of a Turner Gill Mk II choice.  That being said..

No freekn way you were watching Central Florida beat Auburn in the bowl game thinking.  Frost, yep, no way he is ready for big time football.  Lets wait five years and see if we can pull him from his 8 million dollar a year job from some SEC school.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

B67110B3-6AD8-48A1-986F-DB564C2BEC7B.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

1.  Someone brought up Bo.  I feel like he has nothing to do with this team at all.

2.  I get brining up Riley but most of the guys on the team didn't even really play for him, did they?

3.  To the Cyclone fan, thanks for the Cyclone update, I didn't even know they played yesterday.

In terms of building a program and being in year 2, I brought them up as historical references to what we witnessed and what I don’t think Frost is doing. There are things that baffle me about decisions made by this staff, but those are in-game decisions, not what they’re doing for the future because I think it’s too soon for that judgment. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

1.  Someone brought up Bo.  I feel like he has nothing to do with this team at all.

2.  I get brining up Riley but most of the guys on the team didn't even really play for him, did they?

3.  To the Cyclone fan, thanks for the Cyclone update, I didn't even know they played yesterday.

Cy is good people

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Stormandy said:

Maybe we should have accepted getting beat by Texas and not started this sorry series of coaching hires. Maybe for once give a coach time to work and understand we suck. Years of bad stuff does not go away overnight. Where is it written Nebraska is good  just because it is Nebraska?  We co-owned a confrence that sucked except for one sometimes two other teams. Sure some of the other teams had a run or two of some success, but nothing that caused concern. We built a pretty good record of wins over a bunch of nobodies. Then our confrence grows and there is more compitition. We no longer no. 1 or 2, and what do we do? Do we suck it up? Do we push on to prove to the others we are better? No we find reasons to complain and we leave. The reasons may or may not have been justified. Now we are in a confrence with what appears to be a tough division and weaker division. We complain about being in the weaker division. But we can't even hold our own in the weaker division. Now we have one of our own come back to coach after we previously showed him our questionable loyality. Now since we are not winning everything. Everyone knows better and says enough progress is not being made. Sorry, but we don't have a smart team. Anyone that is honest with themselves will admit the opposing players were on a higher level than ours were.

Yes it all sucks, I hate being a team we use to walk all over, but what have we done to be better. Nothing but spend money on facilities and coaches. We have the best facilities for a sub par team. It is disgusting. We have made ourselves into a place where an established coach would never think about coming to. We are where coaches come to build a resume and move on. We are a place where troubled NFL coaches will ocme to try to clean up their resume so they can get back to the NFL. We a the purgatory where a troubled college coach will come to do his penance before he can move in the college caching world. And it all started by hiring an individual that would have made a better used car salesman than an Athletic Director.

I no long watch hoping for wins. I watch hoping to see signs of improvment. Now flame away because that is what a forum does best.

I will be disappointed in you don't.

Beat by Texas? It’s was the Colorado loss that started this. Our last conference title was when Solich was the coach. 

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Beat by Texas? It’s was the Colorado loss that started this. Our last conference title was when Solich was the coach. 

I consider the beginning of then end when the used car salesman from North Platte made his speech about not surrendering the Big 12 to Texas and Texas after getting beat by Kansas State. I

If you want to go the real beginning. That would be Harvey Pearlman being in position to hire Pederson.

• Plus1 1