a few things i'mreally having issues with.

thatguy

On 10/12/2019 at 11:44 PM, thatguy said:

let me start by saying I LIKE FROST. i want him to win here, and i think he will. but in my opinion, i think the issues with this team boil down to one thing: just being intentional about exactly what it is you want to see as a coach. that's what separates good/great coaches from the rest. i'm not sure we are being intentional about the simple things, and its showing.

- correction in practice. if practice is as high tempo as it supposedly is, how much time do they actually spend teaching and correcting? i'm pretty sure someone said last year that they actively do not spend time correcting, but rather, they focus on reps, and address corrections in the film room. maybe we need to adjust that a bit.

- player management. i don't think it's right for anyone to say they have no talent on this team. there is talent. but inexplicably, you only have wandale, spielman, and martinez, with a regressing washington and a limited mills. i find it hard to believe that those are the only guys we've been able to get ready, in spite of injuries. it's not right that you can't play other guys until someone gets hurt. that's just not going to work. there's no way in heck that guys will be ready when their number is called. 

- coaches keep talking about waiting for playmakers to make play. that just doesn't sound right to me. i submit that if you are "waiting" for these playmakers, then that means you are not actively preparing them mentally and physically to perform when the lights are brightest. that needs to change. i know players play, coaches coach, but ultimately, there is something to be said for making sure players are ready to be fundamentally football players. these players haven't looked ready to play in any game this season, except maybe south alabama.

- coaching leadership. every week this season, the head coach has mentioned one player, and in most cases, mentioned a specific point of emphasis, and then another coach has come out and said something opposite, or the things the head coach mentions just shown up on gameday. the staff can be as close knit and familial as they want, but ultimately, i still contend that they aren't all on the same page. something is going on that we won't hear about. i can cite examples, but my post is too long already.

- being too cute, outhinking yourself, making adjustments in game. nothing more needs to be said. sometimes you have to move away from part of your gameplan in game or in season, really. you have to be humble enough to do so sometimes.

- you can't always coach effort, but you definitely don't have to allow poor effort either. this head coach said last year that there was no difference between "you can't" and "you won't". well, time to field only players who are willing. at least, that means we will have one of those two.

That is what film time is for, to correct the mistakes and be able to show the player(s) then without wasting practice time. If you spent practice time correcting every little mistake done, you would never get any reps in or very limited. Not every mistake is seen during practice either. That is why they are filmed from different angles in the first place. Coaches break down the practice film after practice and make the cut-ups accordingly. The coaches are 100% doing it the right way.

17 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Jaimes (average recruit), Hixson (a walk-on), Jurgens (a tight end), Wilson (not 700 player), Farniok (good recruit but he's a guard). Is Raridon that bad? Is Benhart or Piper good enough to play as freshmen? Bando? 

Before the season Austin was saying he had 12 guys ready to go.  I'm  still not seeing 5 guys ready to go.

• Plus1 5
18 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Gotta accept we just suck this year, just get to 6 wins, and reshape the team for 2020. 

Question is, how much reshaping will there actually be? Barring transfers, almost the entire offense will be back for 2020. The only senior starters on offense are Noa and Williams, who are 'ORs' for the same WR position, neither of whom have made much noise this year. Those two plus Wyatt Mazour and Jaron Woodyard are the only seniors on the entire offensive depth chart.

So the question on that side of the ball is how much the existing players can develop in the next year, and how much impact can next year's crop of (redshirt) freshmen make? I've mentioned several times now that O-lines take the longest to develop, so in the long-term there's still at least some hope for those players, but I don't know if that will be enough...

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Toe said:

Question is, how much reshaping will there actually be? Barring transfers, almost the entire offense will be back for 2020. The only senior starters on offense are Noa and Williams, who are 'ORs' for the same WR position, neither of whom have made much noise this year. Those two plus Wyatt Mazour and Jaron Woodyard are the only seniors on the entire offensive depth chart.

So the question on that side of the ball is how much the existing players can develop in the next year, and how much impact can next year's crop of (redshirt) freshmen make? I've mentioned several times now that O-lines take the longest to develop, so in the long-term there's still at least some hope for those players, but I don't know if that will be enough...

Yup and those are things I believe, or hope, Frost has a plan of attack already to roll out or willing to look in the mirror and make necessary changes in the offseason. 

4 hours ago, Toe said:

The million dollar question will be on that offensive line. They're all back, but they aren't good. Benhart and Corcoran need to be ready to go. Piper as well. We would have to hope the others develop or we can rely on rFR and FR. Not sure how that will work out. 

• Fire 1

7 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

That is what film time is for, to correct the mistakes and be able to show the player(s) then without wasting practice time. If you spent practice time correcting every little mistake done, you would never get any reps in or very limited. Not every mistake is seen during practice either. That is why they are filmed from different angles in the first place. Coaches break down the practice film after practice and make the cut-ups accordingly. The coaches are 100% doing it the right way.

Now I’m admittedly old school in my coaching philosophy, but in my opinion, that is a load of crap. You fix mistakes by physically doing things the correct way. Not by watching it being done wrong and then talking about it. 

We’d be much better off practicing doing things the correct way as opposed to getting in tons of reps the incorrect way. 

• Plus1 3
On 10/12/2019 at 11:53 PM, Stone Cold said:

I will say this, im used to seeing up tempo football ran like 70% of the time for the better teams and we just dont run it alot it seems.  I though high tempo was intended to be used most of the time.

I think this goes with a stat from another thread, over a quarter of our runs are getting stuffed. They don't (and never really have) run tempo when we're off schedule - if it's a 4-5 yard run on first down, we go fast. Not as fast as I expected either for sure, but they do it. But when we're consistently getting stuffed or getting false starts, they slow it down again.

8 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

i honestly hope so, because on the surface, it makes a ton of sense. but when you look deeper, and you see execution issues only getting worse, to the point where we can't get lined up right on offense, we keep overrunning plays on defense, we keep having execution errors, and worst of all, we keep getting destroyed against teams that go up-tempo. all the while, with all the plays they run in practice, they keep telling us the MAJORITY of players that have been here for almost 2 years just aren't ready yet. clearly something is getting lost in translation.

in my opinion, i think you can only do things that way when you  have established a culture and program foundation where the basics are not a concern, and you have your accountability perfected, where you just can't get away with poor execution. that's not the case here.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 3rd and long said:

Now I’m admittedly old school in my coaching philosophy, but in my opinion, that is a load of crap. You fix mistakes by physically doing things the correct way. Not by watching it being done wrong and then talking about it. 

We’d be much better off practicing doing things the correct way as opposed to getting in tons of reps the incorrect way. 

Nope, in the old days when you practiced more hours that made sense but nobody practices as long anymore. You correct what you see quickly but you can’t spend all day wasting reps. That is what film time is for. 

I have coached both high school and college ball, times change. So don’t give me the that is a load of crap line. This isn’t 1985 anymore! 

What is the difference if the mistakes are being shown immediately on the field and in film room? It is being corrected regardless.  You can still physically demonstrate errors in the film room if need be and the kid can visually see what he did wrong. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Before the season Austin was saying he had 12 guys ready to go.  I'm  still not seeing 5 guys ready to go.

I think this kind of thing is what worries me the most. I don't feel like the coaches were lying, but maybe they're not very good at assessing the players, because they talked all fall about how much better the team had gotten, in every position.

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Nope, in the old days when you practiced more hours that made sense but nobody practices as long anymore. You correct what you see quickly but you can’t spend all day wasting reps. That is what film time is for. 

I have coached both high school and college ball, times change. So don’t give me the that is a load of crap line. This isn’t 1985 anymore! 

What is the difference if the mistakes are being shown immediately on the field and in film room? It is being corrected regardless.  You can still physically demonstrate errors in the film room if need be and the kid can visually see what he did wrong. 

Bull. I guaranTEE you that Wisconsin reps their hat-for-hat dives, counters, jet sweeps, and ISO's over, over, and over. Then they work on their play action, and guess what? They go back to the dives, counters, jet sweeps, and ISOs. Repetition. Osborned focused INTENSELY on repetition, every practice. 

You can't tell a kid what he's done wrong with film cut-ups, and expect it to be magically fixed for the next game. These are 18-22 year old kids. They're thinking about the next party or what it'll take to get with the cute cheerleader. A young man has one of three things on his mind at any given time, and until the lights are shining Saturday, it ain't football. You have to practice the bad habits out of them, rep by rep. Pavlovian conditioning. Turner Gill could probably still run reverse option as well as anyone in the country - because Osborne drilled it into his teams relentlessly. Rep after rep after rep. Frost was running option on the scout team at UCF to get them ready for Navy, and looked like he hadn't missed a beat from the '98 Orange Bowl.

I'd MUCH rather be a team that's REALLY good at a few things, than a team that's okay (in our case, hardly mediocre) at a lot of things.

If we took our linemen today and said okay, we're going to focus on Dart. We're going to run dart a hundred times today in practice. We're going to run Dart better than any team's ever ran it. We're going to run Dart in our sleep. And then focus on Dart for these two weeks, critiquing every tiny detail, footwork, hand placement, pad level - everything. Get it right, or do it again. And again.

In the next game I'd bet my left big toe that we could run Dart all over Indiana and everyone except Wisconsin.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Bull. I guaranTEE you that Wisconsin reps their hat-for-hat dives, counters, jet sweeps, and ISO's over, over, and over. Then they work on their play action, and guess what? They go back to the dives, counters, jet sweeps, and ISOs. Repetition. Osborned focused INTENSELY on repetition, every practice. 

Wait....you don't think Nebraska practices plays over and over again repetitiously? 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait....you don't think Nebraska practices plays over and over again repetitiously? 

I don't know. It's been said that they are trying to fix mistakes by giving the kids film cut-ups to watch instead of repping the mistakes out in practice if/when they aren't getting it. 

IMHO, it seems as though we're trying to do too much, with too many different looks and it's hard for the kids to keep up with it all. We show several formations one game with various motions, and haven't seen it since. Why?

There's no way we're getting strong, cohesive reps building true muscle memory if we're trying to run 25 different formations and 20 different concepts.