a few things i'mreally having issues with.

thatguy

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait....you don't think Nebraska practices plays over and over again repetitiously? 

that cannot possibly be the case, if they're not focusing on corrections during the practice. at the very least, they aren't repeating plays enough times to get proficient.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I don't know. It's been said that they are trying to fix mistakes by giving the kids film cut-ups to watch instead of repping the mistakes out in practice if/when they aren't getting it. 

IMHO, it seems as though we're trying to do too much, with too many different looks and it's hard for the kids to keep up with it all. We show several formations one game with various motions, and haven't seen it since. Why?

There's no way we're getting strong, cohesive reps building true muscle memory if we're trying to run 25 different formations and 20 different concepts.

Where does it say they aren’t repping plays?

31 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

don't know. It's been said that they are trying to fix mistakes by giving the kids film cut-ups to watch instead of repping the mistakes out in practice if/when they aren't getting it. 

No....they said they do more correcting in the film room by showing them what they are doing wrong. 

This is not saying they don’t “rep” plays in practice. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No....they said they do more correcting in the film room by showing them what they are doing wrong. 

This is not saying they don’t “rep” plays in practice. 

i can appreciate that... but if you are repping and not correcting players who seem to have always had issues with the culture of proper execution, that's a massive waste of time. that would explain the issues we are having with execution on gameday.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What????

I would love for someone to describe what they think they are doing in practice?

I don't know - never been to one. But, if they're being described as 'clean' and 'the best all year,' whatever they're doing either isn't effective, or isn't translating to the field - because we just got pushed around the field by a Minnesota team that trailed South Dakota State with 5 minutes left in the game and needed a miraculous drive to beat Georgia Southern with 13 seconds left. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, thatguy said:

i can appreciate that... but if you are repping and not correcting players who seem to have always had issues with the culture of proper execution, that's a massive waste of time. that would explain the issues we are having with execution on gameday.

I would be absolutely shocked that there is NO correction being done on the practice field.  

I honestly think this is being blown way out of proportion.  People are acting like these coaches have never worked within or ran a successful program before.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

Nope, in the old days when you practiced more hours that made sense but nobody practices as long anymore. You correct what you see quickly but you can’t spend all day wasting reps. That is what film time is for. 

I have coached both high school and college ball, times change. So don’t give me the that is a load of crap line. This isn’t 1985 anymore! 

What is the difference if the mistakes are being shown immediately on the field and in film room? It is being corrected regardless.  You can still physically demonstrate errors in the film room if need be and the kid can visually see what he did wrong. 

Guess we’ll just have to do the old agree to disagree here. 

Because the way(obviously in my opinion) you fix fix things is by physically doing them correctly. Over and over if necessary. Watching it and talking about it in the film room doesnt always translate to correcting it on the field. And it’s obviously not being corrected. 

I’d much rather them spend a week of practice refining correct techniques and fundamentals as opposed to getting boatloads of reps in. Because watching the

finished product, the reps (if they are being done correctly in practice) aren’t translating to the field on Saturday. 

But you’re correct, I’m still back in that 1985 and earlier mindset. Quite possibly it’s all changed now so I do apologize about the load of crap statement. 

My guess is Saban corrects things on the practice field. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I don't know. It's been said that they are trying to fix mistakes by giving the kids film cut-ups to watch instead of repping the mistakes out in practice if/when they aren't getting it. 

IMHO, it seems as though we're trying to do too much, with too many different looks and it's hard for the kids to keep up with it all. We show several formations one game with various motions, and haven't seen it since. Why?

There's no way we're getting strong, cohesive reps building true muscle memory if we're trying to run 25 different formations and 20 different concepts.

lol you do both!

What I’m trying to say is stopping to correct every single mistake during practice time doesn’t have to happen during practice time anymore.

You can correct the obvious quickly but the film room is where you can get in-depth on fixing the mistake and they get to see the mistake. By doing it in the film room, it ALLOWS for them to go over every play over and over again at a much higher volume. Then next practice the kid is suppose to know what he did wrong before. If he or another player makes the same mistake, you can just quickly restate what was just gone over in the meeting room. You can run the same play over again in a short period of time. 

It is how pretty much everyone does it at the varying college levels and many high schools that have the resources and time. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BartonHusker said:

lol you do both!

What I’m trying to say is stopping to correct every single mistake during practice time doesn’t have to happen during practice time anymore.

You can correct the obvious quickly but the film room is where you can get in-depth on fixing the mistake and they get to see the mistake. By doing it in the film room, it ALLOWS for them to go over every play over and over again at a much higher volume. Then next practice the kid is suppose to know what he did wrong before. If he or another player makes the same mistake, you can just quickly restate what was just gone over in the meeting room. You can run the same play over again in a short period of time. 

It is how pretty much everyone does it at the varying college levels and many high schools that have the resources and time. 

Gotcha. I think where we're getting stuck at is the 'obvious.' There are glaring, obvious lackluster fundamentals going on every snap. We need to focus on that. I've never seen an offensive guard pancaked like that. Well, maybe Suh did it a few times, but we weren't blocking anyone like Suh.