Frost Check

After getting blown out by eventual National Champion Georgia Tech in the Citrus Bowl that we had no business being in, Osborne advised his staff and assistant coaches to update their resumes, because he thought they were going to get the ax. It was a horrible end to a season that started with so much hope, a roster filled with big-time talent, and a running back in Calvin Jones that was actually thought of as a Heisman contender at the beginning of the season. We also lost to Colorado that year. 

Luckily, cooler heads prevailed and Tom got to recruiting - one of his best classes ever. Seniors in 94 and red-shirt seniors in 95 that would lead some of the best Husker teams ever. 

We have some kids coming in. We're pulling kids from Atlanta and Miami, kids that could've chosen any Florida school or SEC school. WanDale had offers from at least 2 of the teams in the playoff last year. But we got him. I have faith they will pan out. We will break the cycle of SO MANY busts and transfers, we have HAVE to. 

Patience. Better days ahead.

• Plus1 2

So, it's going to take take time to get better players to beat......Minnesota? Is that where we're at right now? Nebraska has had better recruiting classes than Minnesota, so I don't really get that argument. At worst, the talent is similar. I can confidently say that Minnesota doesn't have 34-7 better talent. 

One team was well coached; the other team was Nebraska. I'm not out on Scott Frost, but he made a mistake bringing his whole staff from UCF. The Big Ten is not the AAC. The Big Ten is full of good coaching, good defense, and toughness.

I honestly don't know what the best answer is now. Fire all assistants and hire the best available? Fire some of them, and hire better replacements? Keep the current assistants for continuity's sake, and hope that they can get better? I think it's going to take more than better recruiting classes. There is talent here, but the coaching isn't there. This is clear from the undisciplined play, inconsistency from week-to-week, and penalties. Hopefully Frost can figure it out. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

So, it's going to take take time to get better players to beat......Minnesota? Is that where we're at right now? Nebraska has had better recruiting classes than Minnesota, so I don't really get that argument. At worst, the talent is similar. I can confidently say that Minnesota doesn't have 34-7 better talent. 

One team was well coached; the other team was Nebraska. I'm not out on Scott Frost, but he made a mistake bringing his whole staff from UCF. The Big Ten is not the AAC. The Big Ten is full of good coaching, good defense, and toughness.

I honestly don't know what the best answer is now. Fire all assistants and hire the best available? Fire some of them, and hire better replacements? Keep the current assistants for continuity's sake, and hope that they can get better? I think it's going to take more than better recruiting classes. There is talent here, but the coaching isn't there. This is clear from the undisciplined play, inconsistency from week-to-week, and penalties. Hopefully Frost can figure it out. 

No one takes into account attrition that has decimated Riley classes. The best upperclassmen from those classes have left for the most part. We don't have the talent, our depth chart is chalked full of walkons and 1 or 2 year players. Also prepare to be disappointed because no one is getting fired this offseason.

• Plus1 1

For what it’s worth, last year in year 2 for PJ Fleck (coming from a great season at a G5 school) they went 6-6, (3-6 in the B1G), with a bowl win, and we stomped them last year. Now in year 3 it’s looking likely that they will start the year 8-0. Not saying that will happen for us, and i hate to see Minnesota as the standard we want to follow, but maybe SF will get it going like them, and then eventually push it much further. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, cornheadnation said:

For what it’s worth, last year in year 2 for PJ Fleck (coming from a great season at a G5 school) they went 6-6, (3-6 in the B1G), with a bowl win, and we stomped them last year. Now in year 3 it’s looking likely that they will start the year 8-0. Not saying that will happen for us, and i hate to see Minnesota as the standard we want to follow, but maybe SF will get it going like them, and then eventually push it much further. 

It's a very apt comparison given our youth across the board

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

But how many of those kids are left.  Don’t forget there was some serious roster turnover

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, cornheadnation said:

Also of note, Minnesota changed defensive coordinators mid season before turning things around...

Not saying we need to do that, but we need to change something.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

After getting blown out by eventual National Champion Georgia Tech in the Citrus Bowl that we had no business being in, Osborne advised his staff and assistant coaches to update their resumes, because he thought they were going to get the ax. It was a horrible end to a season that started with so much hope, a roster filled with big-time talent, and a running back in Calvin Jones that was actually thought of as a Heisman contender at the beginning of the season. We also lost to Colorado that year. 

Luckily, cooler heads prevailed and Tom got to recruiting - one of his best classes ever. Seniors in 94 and red-shirt seniors in 95 that would lead some of the best Husker teams ever. 

We have some kids coming in. We're pulling kids from Atlanta and Miami, kids that could've chosen any Florida school or SEC school. WanDale had offers from at least 2 of the teams in the playoff last year. But we got him. I have faith they will pan out. We will break the cycle of SO MANY busts and transfers, we have HAVE to. 

Patience. Better days ahead.

Man I still remember watching that game, I was 10 or 11 and we watched the game at a family friends house.  Nebraska got their doors blown off.  Little did we know that we were watching the best team GT ever had.  While I don't remember the specifics, I remember GT had a really good QB who was pretty elusive and had a great arm and I remember Nebraska not being able to run, at all.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Man I still remember watching that game, I was 10 or 11 and we watched the game at a family friends house.  Nebraska got their doors blown off.  Little did we know that we were watching the best team GT ever had.  While I don't remember the specifics, I remember GT had a really good QB who was pretty elusive and had a great arm and I remember Nebraska not being able to run, at all.

I suppose we're about the same age. I didn't watch, but listened to Pavelka as my dad drove a clunky '79 Olds through the snow to my grandparents' house. If memory serves, we couldn't do anything in the first half, then Leodis Flowers found room for some nice runs in the 4th quarter, but it was too little too late by that point.

Here's the problem: Everyone was drinking the kool aid.  All the predictions were pretty illogical.  We lost oz, Stanley, farmer and foster.  We had no proven second wr and spielman, while a good wr, isn't a game breaker.  We moved a freshman to center and that kid never played center before. our defense was horrible last year but their progress would be canceled out by our offense not being as good.  We have no depth and not much talent.  Anyone who uses rational thinking knew this would be 4 to 5 year rebuild.  The only people that are whining now are the people who drink way too much kool aid or they just don't use rational thinking when it comes to Nebraska football.

To sum this up: im.a cool 1, not even close to being concerned and frost is the right guy for the job.  

• Plus1 1