Frost Check

2 hours ago, cornheadnation said:

For what it’s worth, last year in year 2 for PJ Fleck (coming from a great season at a G5 school) they went 6-6, (3-6 in the B1G), with a bowl win, and we stomped them last year. Now in year 3 it’s looking likely that they will start the year 8-0. Not saying that will happen for us, and i hate to see Minnesota as the standard we want to follow, but maybe SF will get it going like them, and then eventually push it much further. 

Minnesota could just as easily go 7-5. Just because we made them look like Super Bowl contenders doesn't mean anyone else will. They've played a very soft schedule.

Just now, Hayseed said:

Minnesota could just as easily go 7-5. Just because we made them look like Super Bowl contenders doesn't mean anyone else will. They've played a very soft schedule.

I think they are clearly improved.  At this point that's all i care about.   We arent going to be contending for anything anytime soon so i just want to see improvement and hope for the future.  Right now outside of wandale i see little of either.

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

So???  They’re not. They are 6-0 and it’s possible they have improved greatly over the last couple weeks from the team that had to come back against southern Georgia. 

I don’t think they will beat Wisconsin. But the game will be interesting. 

Frost is the only guy. They only guy we wanted. The only guy for the job. He proved himself at UCF and has all of college football watching him.

We need to see him with all his guys and at least five years of program rebuild.

But c'mon. This is not a team of toxic incompetents that only a Mike Riley would have recruited. The same people who say this year's defense is a clear sign of progress can't suddenly blame Mike Riley when the defense sh!ts the bed like yesterday. The offense that looks good enough to get 700 yards a game, and looks brilliant for stretches -- but never four quarters -- is an offense with talent but not consistency.  An entire team that falls apart in big games against better teams didn't simply inherit that quality from Riley,. That sad, familiar feeling goes back through Bo Pelini and Bill Callahan. Was in unreasonable to expect Frost to do better than his predecessor with the same talent? Including the two new quarterbacks hand--picked for his system? No. That's why you hire new head coaches. Bumps along the way? Sure. But the one thing that makes coaches special and famous is getting young men focused, motivated, disciplined, and playing their best, regardless of their talent. That's why losses like yesterday, and wins like University of South Alabama, go to coaching. How could they not? This team has become famous for not making second half adjustments. 

Blaming the players is pretty chickensh!t. The coaches are big boys, and right now they're being out-coached. 

Will it get better?  It has to. I'll say 4 for now, and insist that something get better every week. And that's the bare minimum for expectations.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 4
11 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

I think they are clearly improved.  At this point that's all i care about.   We arent going to be contending for anything anytime soon so i just want to see improvement and hope for the future.  Right now outside of wandale i see little of either.

OK....just pointing out that their frozen tundra BIG style doesn't scare most BIG teams who stock similar players. I looked at their remaining schedule and think they might only win 7 or 8...but yeah, they're improved and we're in the same place.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So???  They’re not. They are 6-0 and it’s possible they have improved greatly over the last couple weeks from the team that had to come back against southern Georgia. 

I don’t think they will beat Wisconsin. But the game will be interesting. 

OK....just pointing out that their frozen tundra BIG style doesn't scare most BIG teams who stock similar players. I looked at their remaining schedule and think they might only win 7 or 8...but yeah, they're improved and we're in the same place.

Clearly, I don't know how the double quote thing works and need to up my game.

Until the offensive line gets more big talent in and the youngsters who are  freshman/sophomores further develop, I’ll be very patient. I think we will see a drastic difference once the offensive line is dominate again. Still might be two years away to be honest when many of those kids are upperclassmen. 

Still will always be in the camp that believes we need to go back under center and to our old Osborne offense. Get back our physical identity. 

Frost is going no where for a long time imo.

• Plus1 2

We're in year two.  He's bringing in talent.  Upgraded several positions already.  But it's gonna take a while to upgrade enough to compete in the Big Ten.  People need to remember that we're not in the American conference playing Temple, Tulane and East Carolina.  

• Plus1 3

If 10 is all in and 0 is all out I'm about 9.9 just because I don't like the way we've looked this year and we may be a little behind schedule.  But in all fairness, the preseason expectations were pretty out of control.  We lost 3/5 starters on the O line, a 1000 yard rusher, and a 1000 yard receiver and the offense sure looks like we're missing them.  The roster is young, we just need to learn to be patient.  As others have pointed out, Osbourne inherited a Ferrari and kept it a Ferrari.  Frost inherited a rusted out '74 Chevy Vega  that burns a quart of oil every couple hundred miles and is trying to turn it into a Ferrari.  It's going to take a little time.

• Fire 1
5 hours ago, NUance said:

We're in year two.  He's bringing in talent.  Upgraded several positions already.  But it's gonna take a while to upgrade enough to compete in the Big Ten.  People need to remember that we're not in the American conference playing Temple, Tulane and East Carolina.  

This. It's year two, and the talent along the lines is not even close to where it needs to be to compete in the Big Ten. It's painfully obvious. Frost can only bring in so many new players each year, and unfortunately it takes more time to develop talent and depth on the lines. Most kids aren't physically ready to start on the offensive or defensive line right out of high school. 

It's going to take some time. It's just going to be really frustrating in the mean time. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, 7071949597 said:

If 10 is all in and 0 is all out I'm about 9.9 just because I don't like the way we've looked this year and we may be a little behind schedule.  But in all fairness, the preseason expectations were pretty out of control.  We lost 3/5 starters on the O line, a 1000 yard rusher, and a 1000 yard receiver and the offense sure looks like we're missing them.  The roster is young, we just need to learn to be patient.  As others have pointed out, Osbourne inherited a Ferrari and kept it a Ferrari.  Frost inherited a rusted out '74 Chevy Vega  that burns a quart of oil every couple hundred miles and is trying to turn it into a Ferrari.  It's going to take a little time.

Yes, and those three we lost on the o-line is why we are where we are with the offense. Were they amazing? No, but they were better than what we currently have. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1