Huskerboard Members

10 minutes ago, Frostberg said:

This deserves a thumbs down.

The analogy that I use is do you take your bacon and eggs into the restaurant and ask them to cook it for free? Tolerating ads is all this restaurant is asking for in exchange for being the restaurant where you can have your bacon and eggs for free since the ads are paying for your meal. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, BigRedMax said:

There is not and there will not be a subscription model to post or read on this site. 

2 hours ago, BigRedMax said:

If you want to view the sites without ads I am considering an OPTIONAL subscription model for those that want to post and view without ads.

That sounds an awful lot like a subscription 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Redux said:

It's more like I went to my Mom's for brunch every Sunday for years.  Then one day she was like "You can still have the brunch, but you gotta listen to Uncle Barry tell his colonoscopy story while you eat it.  Or I can charge you for it."

+1

This is the perfect analogy.

• Plus1 1

In my opinion the board is better off with a donation page. A value for value model.

The problem with having advertisers is that they then run the show. Can't say anything bad about the advertisers or they will pull the funding. Members will start being banned if they piss off an advertiser, etc.

Watch, it will happen sooner or later.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Frostberg said:

The problem with having advertisers is that they then run the show. Can't say anything bad about the advertisers or they will pull the funding. Members will start being banned if they piss off an advertiser, etc.

Watch, it will happen sooner or later.

That never happens. It works the other way like getting the Colorado ad removed. 

I'd be interested to know when you have an ad free subscription model. I can guarantee that I will NEVER buy anything from an ad on an internet page. Best case they might plant an idea subliminally but just on principle it will never be a click through purchase.

On the off chance, I would highly prefer a donation model.

2 hours ago, Frostberg said:

+1

This is the perfect analogy.

Not quite. 

Uncle Barry will also pace back and forth between you and your plate of food as he tells his colonoscopy story.

You are only able to take bites when he moves far enough to the side, and sometimes he walks very slowly, and your food is cold by the time you are able to take another bite.

And every once in a while, Uncle Barry will stop dead in his tracks and prevent you from eating any more as he goes off on some tangent about how you are the 1000th person to hear his story that day, and he wants to give an Amazon/Walmart/etc. gift certificate and he refuses to move out of the way until you do. But the catch is you must give Uncle Barry your personal info before you can claim it.

So your only option is to kill Uncle Barry and reset the day (like in the movie 'Edge of Tomorrow'), and hope that when you start the day over, Uncle Barry won't go off on a tangent again.

For what it's worth

I understand the concept of how ads work and why they're needed for business models. I also understand that when something is free, I'm the product, not the free thing I'm getting.

That being said, whenever news organization websites or sport sites or whatever these days pop up telling me to disable my adblocker, I generally just close that and figure out somewhere else to get what I want without having to deal with it. And I don't think I'm alone in that.

So good luck with the not at all subtle shift in approach with this board and the way it's attempting to be profitable. 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Red Dead Redemption said:

Not quite. 

Uncle Barry will also pace back and forth between you and your plate of food as he tells his colonoscopy story.

You are only able to take bites when he moves far enough to the side, and sometimes he walks very slowly, and your food is cold by the time you are able to take another bite.

And every once in a while, Uncle Barry will stop dead in his tracks and prevent you from eating any more as he goes off on some tangent about how you are the 1000th person to hear his story that day, and he wants to give an Amazon/Walmart/etc. gift certificate and he refuses to move out of the way until you do. But the catch is you must give Uncle Barry your personal info before you can claim it.

So your only option is to kill Uncle Barry and reset the day (like in the movie 'Edge of Tomorrow'), and hope that when you start the day over, Uncle Barry won't go off on a tangent again.

Who TF hurt you?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1