Hail Varsity's take on the game and other thoughts

4 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

I'd also be willing to tank this season in the name of having a starting LT for one more year in BB.

Do you think the plan is to move him to LT down the road? Just curious, I feel like you see more 6'9 RTs than LTs. I also figured they have him at RT now for a reason since he could backup either spot, but that reason could be because they were hoping he could win a job and Farniok's would be easier to take than Jaimes'.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Do you think the plan is to move him to LT down the road? Just curious, I feel like you see more 6'9 RTs than LTs. I also figured they have him at RT now for a reason since he could backup either spot, but that reason could be because they were hoping he could win a job and Farniok's would be easier to take than Jaimes'.

You're probably right here. That's my bad. I think Turner C. is likely our LT of the future. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

You're probably right here. That's my bad. I think Turner C. is likely our LT of the future. 

Either way, like you said let's make sure we have an extra year of a legitimate lineman! I'm curious if Gaylord would be getting a look if his season hadn't ended.

I generally like Jaimes and am not quite as low on Farniok as some, but that showing was terrible across the board. We just don't even have the guys to try behind them. Bando appears to be the 6th lineman everywhere except Center, he came in for Jaimes the one game and then Hixson this week. Kinda surprised it wasn't Raridon, not a great sign for him.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Either way, like you said let's make sure we have an extra year of a legitimate lineman! I'm curious if Gaylord would be getting a look if his season hadn't ended.

I generally like Jaimes and am not quite as low on Farniok as some, but that showing was terrible across the board. We just don't even have the guys to try behind them. Bando appears to be the 6th lineman everywhere except Center, he came in for Jaimes the one game and then Hixson this week. Kinda surprised it wasn't Raridon, not a great sign for him.

I'm not great at evaluating line play, so this is more of me synthesizing what I read and combining that with the eye test. My understanding is that ideally M. Farniok would move to a guard position. I'm with you though, there doesn't seem to be depth and the guys that I remember being excited about when Riley was around don't seem to have panned out. 

1 hour ago, Huskerzoo said:

I'm not great at evaluating line play, so this is more of me synthesizing what I read and combining that with the eye test. My understanding is that ideally M. Farniok would move to a guard position. I'm with you though, there doesn't seem to be depth and the guys that I remember being excited about when Riley was around don't seem to have panned out. 

Farniok has said he's not good at blocking edge rushers and the tape backs that up. Ideally, he'd be a better inside blocker because he doesn't have to reach for guys on the edge. Not sure I've been impressed with him regardless, but he was fairly highly rated and had a good list of offers. So maybe he is just really out of position.

23 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Farniok has said he's not good at blocking edge rushers and the tape backs that up. Ideally, he'd be a better inside blocker because he doesn't have to reach for guys on the edge. Not sure I've been impressed with him regardless, but he was fairly highly rated and had a good list of offers. So maybe he is just really out of position.

I am also not great at evaluating line play, but it seems like a lot of his issues have come from overcompensating against edge rushers. He was scared of Young and got way too far upfield, so Young would just cut back inside. Some of these it feels like he's just barely getting to his spot, so once he's there he's a little off balance and can be bull rushed.I would be at least curious to see him at Guard, but not if it means someone worse at Tackle.