"Offensive" issues

10 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I thought that game was Cam's best. He cleaned up his snaps and he held his own in blocking. I feel like I remember on more than one occasion defenders crashing on Vedral and Cam holding his own against their DT at the original line of scrimmage.

It was, now we just need consistency. And things should get better.

• Plus1 1

Just a theory here. I'm betting that in practices that the delayed RB screen plays to Wan'Dale look pretty awesome because our front seven is just plain bad. Then in game situations when we face a smart defense where each player is maintaining his space and reading the play intelligently, our offense just can't block.

Watching that play fail over and over this season has been miserable.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just a theory here. I'm betting that in practices that the delayed RB screen plays to Wan'Dale look pretty awesome because our front seven is just plain bad. Then in game situations when we face a smart defense where each player is maintaining his space and reading the play intelligently, our offense just can't block.

Watching that play fail over and over this season has been miserable.

The scary thing is we heard the defense was winning the matchups in fall camp. So we know our defense sucks- maybe it all makes sense why our offense is so horrible. Because even South Alabama has a better defense than us. So we were not prepared to play anyone.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The scary thing is we heard the defense was winning the matchups in fall camp. So we know our defense sucks- maybe it all makes sense why our offense is so horrible. Because even South Alabama has a better defense than us. So we were not prepared to play anyone.

Yeah, that was my basic line of thinking.

The thing about those RB screen plays is that you don't need the biggest, strongest Wisconsin-style linemen to execute that play. You just need five guys and a tight end that are well prepared and look for a chip block after a certain 'count' after the snap.

It's just so infuriating because both Wan'Dale & Washington are the perfect kind of players to run that play with...but a safety comes in and just crushes our RB unblocked.

Another thing that's a bit confusing is why Frost calls so many inside zones when Washington is in there. I can understand the idea that the opponent will think you're running outside the tackles when he's in, so then you do the opposite...but man, he just isn't built for that kind of running and it takes a pretty quick toll on his body.

When we come back from our bye week, I'd love to try something different and start Mills. Give him some outside power tosses in our two tight end sets. 

• Plus1 5

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm a little concerned with Allen's comments about the time away from each other during the bye week being good. I get it, it's a grind and a break is nice, but you don't often hear guys on a team talking like that. Am I reading too much into that?

maybe, but i dont think so.  Something has seemed 'off' with this team and i frequently find myself wondering if something is going on in the locker room between players or with coaches.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

maybe, but i dont think so.  Something has seemed 'off' with this team and i frequently find myself wondering if something is going on in the locker room between players or with coaches.

One issue that I think plays into it is the selected captains have not been proving their leadership on the field.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2