"Offensive" issues

18 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I thought that game was Cam's best. He cleaned up his snaps and he held his own in blocking. I feel like I remember on more than one occasion defenders crashing on Vedral and Cam holding his own against their DT at the original line of scrimmage.

They said on RSS last week that Cam got some outside help on his snapping issues. Looks like it's working. Now if we can only fix all the other issues with our offense.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Danimal said:

They said on RSS last week that Cam got some outside help on his snapping issues. Looks like it's working. Now if we can only fix all the other issues with our offense.

That's interesting. It does seem like it was working, but what did that outside help offer that our coaches couldn't? Seems weird, but something changed pretty drastically this week.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
22 hours ago, lo country said:

And run blocking.  Per Hail Varsity 26% of our runs were TFL or at the LOS........Our OL is a crap show....Seeing the stats come out and Noah being in against Minnie, I can see why AM looks off.......I'm sure he has no time for reads or adjustments as he's worried how bad his protection is going to be....I'm guessing he saw this in the spring and fall and new the season would be rough.

My pre season worries about our lack of depth and quality at RB have come to fruition as well. Let's just hope that Martinez and Robinson are ok, or a so-so season may turn into another disaster

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

My pre season worries about our lack of depth and quality at RB have come to fruition as well. Let's just hope that Martinez and Robinson are ok, or a so-so season may turn into another disaster

I had big concerns about both depth and quality, but then those concerns largely went away when:

1. Mills starting reading his blocks better.

2. We started seeing how well Wan'Dale can fill in at RB in a pinch.

Mills is a really durable back that's suited for B1G play. The real, underlying problem is that our line just doesn't execute blocks very well. If they did, the addition of Mills would have us in a pretty good situation IMO with our RBs.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

:snacks:

Oklahoma OL as prospects

LT .89 - 4*

LG .90 - 4*

C .89 - 4*

RG .95 - 4*

RT .89 - 4*

Nebraska OL as prospects

LT .87 - 3*

LG .76 -2* (walk on)

C .92 - 4* (tight end)

RG .85 - 3*

RT .89 - 4* (widely regarded as G prospect)

The two players we're replacing as prospects.

Jerald Foster .89 - 4*

Tanner Farmer .90 - 4*

If only there was some deference between these two scenarios...

Also of note, only one of these players was recruited by Frost in his transition class.

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Oklahoma OL as prospects

LT .89 - 4*

LG .90 - 4*

C .89 - 4*

RG .95 - 4*

RT .89 - 4*

Nebraska OL as prospects

LT .87 - 3*

LG .76 -2* (walk on)

C .92 - 4* (tight end)

RG .85 - 3*

RT .89 - 4* (widely regarded as G prospect)

The two players we're replacing as prospects.

Jerald Foster .89 - 4*

Tanner Farmer .90 - 4*

If only there was some deference between these two scenarios...

Also of note, only one of these players was recruited by Frost in his transition class.

That's kinda part of the point, look who Frost is recruiting to fill the lines

• Michael LynnCherry Creek (Englewood, CO) 
    6-6 / 291
    851 67 5

Enrolled

OT

• Brant Banks
    Brant BanksWestbury Christian School (Houston, TX) 
    6-7 / 265
    854 68 113

Enrolled

OT

• Matthew Anderson
    Matthew AndersonLeesville (Leesville, LA) 
    6-6 / 260
    935 77 30

Enrolled

OT
  • Jimmy Fritzsche
    Jimmy FritzscheGreenville (Greenville, SC) 
    6-7 / 240

other than Benhart the others aren't up to par when you look at better schools. 
  • Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

6-6 / 291
    851 67 5

Enrolled

OT

• Brant Banks
    6-7 / 265
    854 68 113

Enrolled

OT

• Matthew Anderson
    6-6 / 260
    935 77 30

Enrolled

OT
  • Jimmy Fritzsche
    6-7 / 240

Do you mean they aren't up to par when compared to Oklahoma?

1 minute ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

6-6 / 291
    851 67 5

Enrolled

OT

• Brant Banks
    6-7 / 265
    854 68 113

Enrolled

OT

• Matthew Anderson
    6-6 / 260
    935 77 30

Enrolled

OT
  • Jimmy Fritzsche
    6-7 / 240

Ha convenient you mention Benhart at the bottom there. Benhart is higher rated than any of OU's current players. Corcoran who is coming in this year is even higher than that and one of the top OT in the country. So in back to back classes Frost will have brought in two players that are rated even higher than OU's. Nebraska is not going to land more than 1 or 2 four star lineman in most classes regardless. The fact we already have two high four stars coming in will be huge. Plus a lot of those other guys are rated lower in part because of the need to gain size and strength in college not because they can't play. Fritzsche picked us over Clemson.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Ha convenient you mention Benhart at the bottom there. Benhart is higher rated than any of OU's current players. Corcoran who is coming in this year is even higher than that and one of the top OT in the country. So in back to back classes Frost will have brought in two players that are rated even higher than OU's. Nebraska is not going to land more than 1 or 2 four star lineman in most classes regardless. The fact we already have two high four stars coming in will be huge. Plus a lot of those other guys are rated lower in part because of the need to gain size and strength in college not because they can't play. Fritzsche picked us over Clemson.

Slightly inaccurate seeing as oklahoma has a .98 5* from 2018, in the last two classes Oklahoma signed a 5*, 4 4*s and 3 3*s. Frost signing those type of numbers is what is needed. I knew you'd bring up the lower guys, atm they are underrated gems but if they don't work in a couple years then you'll say well they were just low 3*s what did you expect. 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Do you mean they aren't up to par when compared to Oklahoma?

And other contenders.

Moos knows it, he just mentioned it after Minnesota.

"Plus, we need to be in those high schools where the Ohio States, Alabamas and Clemsons are recruiting," Moos told the Journal Star last week. "If we're expected to get back into that kind of race, we have to have those kind of players."

Moos makes no bones about it: Nebraska obviously needs an injection of talent.

"It's a big part of the plan," he said of the fleet. "You're not going to win a national championship with all walk-ons. They're going to help. They're key in what we're trying to do. The heart and soul of Nebraska football is from the state of Nebraska.

"But the arms and legs are from California, Texas and Florida. If we're going to get back to where we want to get, we have to be challenging other championship-caliber programs for players."

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

Slightly inaccurate seeing as oklahoma has a .98 5* from 2018, in the last two classes Oklahoma signed a 5*, 4 4*s and 3 3*s. Frost signing those type of numbers is what is needed. I knew you'd bring up the lower guys, atm they are underrated gems but if they don't work in a couple years then you'll say well they were just low 3*s what did you expect. 

That's great for Oklahoma, but pretend you're an 18 year old and Nebraska offers you and so does Nebraska and you want to play for NC are you really going to pick NU regardless of what they say and offer? Nebraska in the next few years is not going to sign a 5* four 4* and three 3* regardless of what we want. You don't think Frost is trying to sign classes like that? Of course he is, but those kids aren't coming so he has to get kids he has the opportunity to develop.

I don't know why people on this board seem to think that the staff is just ignoring higher talent. They're not. Those kids are not coming to a 4-8 team plain and simple whether you're the best freaking recruiter in the country. They have better options. So, in the meantime we have to get the high rated kids we can and fill out a class with kids to develop to win games and prove to those high rated kids that Nebraska is worth attending to win.

I point out the lack of talent on the OL now because that's what Riley left. If 4 years from now our OL is still total garbage I can look back and say it's Frost's fault for not getting better kids here. The OL talent issue is not because of Frost it is still plain and simple a Riley problem. A kid like Benhart is rarely going to come in and be able to play against two, three or four year starts in the B1G. The line will take more time to fix. Meanwhile the one Frost recruit on the OL has progressed this season into probably our best OL at the moment.

• Plus1 5
12 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

That's great for Oklahoma, but pretend you're an 18 year old and Nebraska offers you and so does Nebraska and you want to play for NC are you really going to pick NU regardless of what they say and offer? Nebraska in the next few years is not going to sign a 5* four 4* and three 3* regardless of what we want. You don't think Frost is trying to sign classes like that? Of course he is, but those kids aren't coming so he has to get kids he has the opportunity to develop.

I mean, Corcoran is a borderline 5*. Benhart was a 4*, Prochazka is probably a high 4*. There's progress being made there - I don't think we sign five 4* and up guys the next two years like they did but 3-4 seems like a lock. I agree last year they would've signed more higher rated kids if they could have.

22 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

The problem isn't that we're signing guys like this, it's that right now we have to use too many of them. I'm sure you can find a really good line with some lower rated players. Wisconsin's RT was a 3* .86. Their All-American center was a 3* .84. But their other guys were 4*s, and they consistently pull 4* talent and supplement with guys who outperform their rankings. Right now our line would only be good if everyone was significantly outperforming their ranking.

Funnily enough there are some parallels between Wisconsin's center (Biadasz) and Jurgens. Neither were considered olineman by the recruiting services, and they had similar size at 6'3 ~260.

• Plus1 1