"Offensive" issues

19 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I mean, Corcoran is a borderline 5*. Benhart was a 4*, Prochazka is probably a high 4*. There's progress being made there - I don't think we sign five 4* and up guys the next two years like they did but 3-4 seems like a lock. I agree last year they would've signed more higher rated kids if they could have.

The problem isn't that we're signing guys like this, it's that right now we have to use too many of them. I'm sure you can find a really good line with some lower rated players. Wisconsin's RT was a 3* .86. Their All-American center was a 3* .84. But their other guys were 4*s, and they consistently pull 4* talent and supplement with guys who outperform their rankings. Right now our line would only be good if everyone was significantly outperforming their ranking.

Funnily enough there are some parallels between Wisconsin's center (Biadasz) and Jurgens. Neither were considered olineman by the recruiting services, and they had similar size at 6'3 ~260.

I read it wrong and didn't realize those signings were the last two years should have dawned on me that was a huge OL haul for one class, ha. I agree 3-4 4* and up guys is possible.

Agree with your thoughts on pulling in 3* to supplement 4* and filling them in if they develop as well. Some parts of recruiting are getting depth guys as well. Your class of 20 guys are not all going to be starters some will fill in on special teams or as depth as well.

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I point out the lack of talent on the OL now because that's what Riley left. If 4 years from now our OL is still total garbage I can look back and say it's Frost's fault for not getting better kids here. The OL talent issue is not because of Frost it is still plain and simple a Riley problem. A kid like Benhart is rarely going to come in and be able to play against two, three or four year starts in the B1G. The line will take more time to fix. Meanwhile the one Frost recruit on the OL has progressed this season into probably our best OL at the moment.

This is well put.

As much roster flipping as Frost has done, there are some position groups that simply take longer.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

And other contenders.

Moos knows it, he just mentioned it after Minnesota.

"Plus, we need to be in those high schools where the Ohio States, Alabamas and Clemsons are recruiting," Moos told the Journal Star last week. "If we're expected to get back into that kind of race, we have to have those kind of players."

Moos makes no bones about it: Nebraska obviously needs an injection of talent.

"It's a big part of the plan," he said of the fleet. "You're not going to win a national championship with all walk-ons. They're going to help. They're key in what we're trying to do. The heart and soul of Nebraska football is from the state of Nebraska.

"But the arms and legs are from California, Texas and Florida. If we're going to get back to where we want to get, we have to be challenging other championship-caliber programs for players."

Yes, I'm well aware.

Frost is also looking for height and bigger frames than what Riley sought.

On 10/14/2019 at 12:07 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

The scary thing is we heard the defense was winning the matchups in fall camp. So we know our defense sucks- maybe it all makes sense why our offense is so horrible. Because even South Alabama has a better defense than us. So we were not prepared to play anyone.

How though? Frost has been around great teams. If I spend five years around 7 foot people, I don’t go to The Shire and believe I remain amongst giants. 

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

How though? Frost has been around great teams. If I spend five years around 7 foot people, I don’t go to The Shire and believe I remain amongst giants. 

I think his basic premise does make sense, though.

And it's been discussed on here too with the opposite: Our defense this year isn't going up against particularly strong/good linemen in practice that are good at executing the power run.

It seems to me that most posters don't really like entertaining this theory for some reason. But in my opinion, it's pretty obvious that at some point - regardless of personnel/talent choices we have on the team - our staff has to figure out how to play good football in this conference.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

And it's been discussed on here too with the opposite: Our defense this year isn't going up against particularly strong/good linemen in practice that are good at executing the power run.

Very rarely do the "1's" on offense go up against the "1's" on defense during practice.  So, for all of us hoping that the younger guys down the pike are the saviors we want/hope/need them to be, then this is not saying much.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:23 AM, Danimal said:

They said on RSS last week that Cam got some outside help on his snapping issues. Looks like it's working. Now if we can only fix all the other issues with our offense.

If that's true, any idea who he talked to? I know they have to be careful with guys who have previously been a part of the program (like Osborne) teaching guys stuff due to potentially violating NCAA rules on things like the number of coaches you can have.

On 10/16/2019 at 8:40 AM, PoloWearingBeaver said:

:snacks:

OU loses players to the NFL, Nebraska loses entire classes to Mike Riley...

On 10/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, WyoHusker56 said:

That's great for Oklahoma, but pretend you're an 18 year old and Nebraska offers you and so does Nebraska and you want to play for NC are you really going to pick NU regardless of what they say and offer?

Well I mean... If their choice is Nebraska or Nebraska, I feel pretty good about it :wasted

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Moos is right about needing a lot more talent if we're going to compete with the Clemsons of the world.

This is what everyone says to justify getting curbstomped by teams we have have a talent advantage over.

Logically it just doesn't follow.

Any bets on whether more Huskers or Gophers get drafted to the NFL after this season?

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Moos is right about needing a lot more talent if we're going to compete with the Clemsons of the world.

This is what everyone says to justify getting curbstomped by teams we have have a talent advantage over.

Logically it just doesn't follow.

Isn't this just crazy.  I'm not a doom and gloom kind of guy, and I understand that 3 stars can be developed, but how do you compete with this?  Sorry, I know you were focusing on us not getting rolled, but I just wanted to talk to someone.  :)

image.png