"Offensive" issues

2 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Screen Play on 4th down

Yeah that was ugly, but if it works nobody is questioning it. Not sure how that was supposed to go, seems like Stoll and Jaimes were blocking it like a middle screen but Washington drifted out wide. Or it was supposed to be wide, in which case Stoll just can't let the S/LB waltz past him. And Washington has to catch it, but it wasn't going anywhere if he did.

Not knowing much about the defense and what they expect out of certain looks, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. If it turns out they hadn't run this since fall camp and that's why it was a mess, it's a bad play call. But honestly if Stoll blocks the guy he ran right past or Washington stays inside, it's there. What would you have run instead?

Just now, Husker in WI said:

Yeah that was ugly, but if it works nobody is questioning it. Not sure how that was supposed to go, seems like Stoll and Jaimes were blocking it like a middle screen but Washington drifted out wide. Or it was supposed to be wide, in which case Stoll just can't let the S/LB waltz past him. And Washington has to catch it, but it wasn't going anywhere if he did.

Not knowing much about the defense and what they expect out of certain looks, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. If it turns out they hadn't run this since fall camp and that's why it was a mess, it's a bad play call. But honestly if Stoll blocks the guy he ran right past or Washington stays inside, it's there. What would you have run instead?

You're right, if plays work, the play caller will get a lot of credit, and if they don't, ppl will say that the play call sucked.

The reason I'd consider it questionable is because screens have been really poor all year, and we ran another screen earlier in that drive that also didn't work.

But at the same time, who knows what play would work - this offense has been wildly inconsistent all year.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Stoll has this guy dead to rights:

image.thumb.png.2e3731f39877c1e1aa9cfdf6a1902945.png

Runs right by him instead. This guy shouldn't be there if Stoll blocks him:

image.thumb.png.347583b55f03c758a84eb69adcf13a9d.png

Hixson does get to #18, so if that guy is blocked it's Washington 1 on 1 with #25, which is great. Although looking again, #25 makes a mockery of Woodyard's block attempt (probably why he hasn't been on the field), so maybe #6 is supposed to be the one guy for Washington to beat. And there is a ton of room in the middle.

But to your point, screens have not been good all year. Maybe Frost was thinking Minnesota wouldn't expect it because of that, but seeing the ones in the game it is a call that leaves room for criticism. I just don't know if the 4th down call is a drive blown by bad playcalling. We're in 4th and 2 because of bad blocking on 1st down, a receiver tripping on 2nd, and a a lack of power from Washington on 3rd. Those are also factors in the failed drive.

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Stoll has this guy dead to rights:

image.thumb.png.2e3731f39877c1e1aa9cfdf6a1902945.png

Runs right by him instead. This guy shouldn't be there if Stoll blocks him:

image.thumb.png.347583b55f03c758a84eb69adcf13a9d.png

Hixson does get to #18, so if that guy is blocked it's Washington 1 on 1 with #25, which is great. Although looking again, #25 makes a mockery of Woodyard's block attempt (probably why he hasn't been on the field), so maybe #6 is supposed to be the one guy for Washington to beat. And there is a ton of room in the middle.

But to your point, screens have not been good all year. Maybe Frost was thinking Minnesota wouldn't expect it because of that, but seeing the ones in the game it is a call that leaves room for criticism. I just don't know if the 4th down call is a drive blown by bad playcalling. We're in 4th and 2 because of bad blocking on 1st down, a receiver tripping on 2nd, and a a lack of power from Washington on 3rd. Those are also factors in the failed drive.

I mentioned earlier this year that on crucial downs we run a lot of 1 option plays. Meaning there is really only one place we are looking to go. I am not a fan of these plays in these situations. 3rd n 8 we also ran an inside run with Mo

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I mentioned earlier this year that on crucial downs we run a lot of 1 option plays. Meaning there is really only one place we are looking to go. I am not a fan of these plays in these situations. 3rd n 8 we also ran an inside run with Mo

Yeah, that's fair. Like I said it's definitely a playcall that is open to criticism, even though I don't have a huge problem with it.

It was 3rd and 6 and I'm sure he was planning on going for it on 4th. So that's another one I don't really have an issue with, but I understand some will. If you don't have a 3rd and 6 playcall you're very confident in I'm fine with getting a few and setting up a 4th and 2.

18 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, that's fair. Like I said it's definitely a playcall that is open to criticism, even though I don't have a huge problem with it.

It was 3rd and 6 and I'm sure he was planning on going for it on 4th. So that's another one I don't really have an issue with, but I understand some will. If you don't have a 3rd and 6 playcall you're very confident in I'm fine with getting a few and setting up a 4th and 2.

Ya I get that. I also feel our spacing on passing plays has been under par all season. MN lined up a ton of times begging us to get 5 yards per pass play. 

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Ya I get that. I also feel our spacing on passing plays has been under par all season. MN lined up a ton of times begging us to get 5 yards per pass play. 

For sure. You want a playcall I was pissed at, that fake punt was straight out of coaching 101. We were down, needed a spark, 4th and short between the 40s. Everything about the situation screamed fake, so you might as well line up and go for it instead. Frost said he thinks Minnesota might have seen it coming - that's an understatement, everyone in the stands saw it coming. And even with that, if Allen went left there was a huge lane - I don't know if the blockers were wrong or if he was, but it still could've worked.

• Fire 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

For sure. You want a playcall I was pissed at, that fake punt was straight out of coaching 101. We were down, needed a spark, 4th and short between the 40s. Everything about the situation screamed fake, so you might as well line up and go for it instead. Frost said he thinks Minnesota might have seen it coming - that's an understatement, everyone in the stands saw it coming. And even with that, if Allen went left there was a huge lane - I don't know if the blockers were wrong or if he was, but it still could've worked.

If Miller wouldn't have whiffed, he would have picked it up.

2 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

If Miller wouldn't have whiffed, he would have picked it up.

You're right, so Allen probably is just supposed to go straight ahead. A more experienced ball carrier might have made this work, but if Miller gets his block it's a moot point. Kind of why I just would've gone for it though - they know to expect a fake, and you're asking a TE to run and LBs to block. Let the backs run and the linemen/tight ends block - not that they did that particularly well.

image.png.316d9aeaba536df2af794aff2ea08253.png

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

You're right, so Allen probably is just supposed to go straight ahead. A more experienced ball carrier might have made this work, but if Miller gets his block it's a moot point. Kind of why I just would've gone for it though - they know to expect a fake, and you're asking a TE to run and LBs to block. Let the backs run and the linemen/tight ends block - not that they did that particularly well.

image.png.316d9aeaba536df2af794aff2ea08253.png

Watch it again.. 71 stands around like a fat kid at baskin robbins who can't pick out a flavor.  Not Allen's fault 

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Rewatching the MN game and wow does Frost make some real questionable play calls. Also runs way too many QB runs. We had two good drives initially. One blown by bad play calling and the other by penalties. 

There are certainly ways Frost is more handcuffed this season but there are still too many calls that are stupid or overly conservative. Bad screens and trying to force Mo to be physical running him up the gut behind a struggling line come immediately to mind. We need to find ways to get him the ball in space. Not just  sneaking the ba!l inside the 1 against a gassed D at the end against Illinois was utterly ridiculous, could have cost us the game if our D doesn't step up.