"Offensive" issues

There has been quite a bit of discussion about "chunk" plays and whether they should or shouldn't be relied upon.

I saw some interesting stats yesterday about those plays.  It was pointed out that Nebraska is actually doing pretty well in getting the big plays - 40+ yards.  But we are pretty low in 10+ yard plays.

National Rank in Plays of X yards:

10+: 92nd

20+: 30th

30+: 52nd

40+: 8th

50+: 23rd

60+: 17th

70+: 41st

So we're missing a lot of the intermediate plays that keep drives moving.  We're decent in 20+ yard plays and not too bad on getting the really long plays.  Just probably not turning the 4-5 yard plays into 12-15 yard plays to move the chains.

I just thought that was kind of interesting.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

In my opinion Jack Stoll has been an excellent blocker this season. Austin Allen has been pretty good, too. Our tight end room seems like a group of motivated guys that are giving their all.

Obviously we debate here all the time about whether our issues are talent, coaching, or lack of motivation. Hard to say why our receivers haven't blocked well this year. Maybe guys like Mike Williams & Kanawai just haven't been as motivated because they weren't seeing that many targets in the first 4 or 5 games? Impossible to know, really.

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It was pointed out that Nebraska is actually doing pretty well in getting the big plays - 40+ yards.  But we are pretty low in 10+ yard plays.

I get it… when we’re busting one loose for 40+, we need to stop after 10 and save some for later! We’ll be unstoppable!:woo
But seriously, I see your point about not turning those shorter yardage plays into enough to move the chains.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Need some more Quincy Enunwa types: "If I lay somebody out, that guy’s going to feel terrible if it’s a linebacker, you know? He’s gonna get up and be like, ‘That’s a receiver that knocked me on my a$$.'"

On 10/14/2019 at 10:00 AM, TheSker said:

With how poorly the OL is performing, there will be some issues like that.  If I was in Allen's shoes, I'd be frustrated too.

The OL issues hurt the production of the TEs.

What I found interesting was Kade Warner's comment that seems to indicate that it is the TEs and WRs that are also affecting the running game: 

3 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

What I found interesting was Kade Warner's comment that seems to indicate that it is the TEs and WRs that are also affecting the running game: 

I agree, but I think Kade is primarily calling out the receiving corps.

It's good to see Warner stepping up and being vocal.  He's got credibility because his play is backing it up.

Some of our other leaders don't have the credibility with their play.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Undone said:

In my opinion Jack Stoll has been an excellent blocker this season. Austin Allen has been pretty good, too. Our tight end room seems like a group of motivated guys that are giving their all.

Obviously we debate here all the time about whether our issues are talent, coaching, or lack of motivation. Hard to say why our receivers haven't blocked well this year. Maybe guys like Mike Williams & Kanawai just haven't been as motivated because they weren't seeing that many targets in the first 4 or 5 games? Impossible to know, really.

What game were you watching, when our tackles pull, the TE is suppose to hold the block and they have been terrible.

Ryan Held made a generic "coach speak" comment that was by itself completely benign but it sparked a couple thoughts for me. Held said that "you have to run the ball in this league."

Ohio State is showing that this isn't actually correct. In fact in my opinion, when you can throw the ball well you actually really excel in the B1G because so many defenses are built to stop the run. 

Possibly our biggest problem on the team right now is that we can't pass block for $h!t. On top of that, teams have been blitzing on us pretty hard also. Terrible combination. I honestly don't know what Frost can reasonably do with this hodgepodge, injured, and depleted offensive roster to win 3 out of the next 5 here. I'm just being honest: I really think we're the underdog in this game.

• Plus1 2