"Offensive" issues

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Ryan Held made a generic "coach speak" comment that was by itself completely benign but it sparked a couple thoughts for me. Held said that "you have to run the ball in this league."

Ohio State is showing that this isn't actually correct. In fact in my opinion, when you can throw the ball well you actually really excel in the B1G because so many defenses are built to stop the run. 

Possibly our biggest problem on the team right now is that we can't pass block for $h!t. On top of that, teams have been blitzing on us pretty hard also. Terrible combination. I honestly don't know what Frost can reasonably do with this hodgepodge, injured, and depleted offensive roster to win 3 out of the next 5 here. I'm just being honest: I really think we're the underdog in this game.

Ohio State is averaging more rushing yards per game than passing yards. You can argue they are passing to set up the run, but I don't know that they disprove the notion that you have to run the ball in the B1G.

I do agree our terrible pass blocking is causing a lot of our problems, but I think you can argue it either way. If we could run better that would open up more passing opportunities, but we probably need to hit some passes so teams can't sell out on the runs. I think it's more the latter that we need to do, but if our running game was where we want it to be we could still churn out some yards against stacked boxes.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

Ryan Held made a generic "coach speak" comment that was by itself completely benign but it sparked a couple thoughts for me. Held said that "you have to run the ball in this league."

Ohio State is showing that this isn't actually correct. In fact in my opinion, when you can throw the ball well you actually really excel in the B1G because so many defenses are built to stop the run. 

Possibly our biggest problem on the team right now is that we can't pass block for $h!t. On top of that, teams have been blitzing on us pretty hard also. Terrible combination. I honestly don't know what Frost can reasonably do with this hodgepodge, injured, and depleted offensive roster to win 3 out of the next 5 here. I'm just being honest: I really think we're the underdog in this game.

Are talking about the Ohio State offense that is 3rd nationally in rushing yards per game and runs the ball 61% of plays?

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2
9 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

Are talking about the Ohio State offense that is 3rd nationally in rushing yards per game and runs the ball 61% of plays?

I know Ohio State is great at running the ball, but their running percentage is skewed by the large 4th quarter leads they are protecting.  I would like to see that percentage when the game isn't in garbage time.

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't think there is only one way to win depending on the conference you play in. If you have the personel and coaches to execute your style of play you'll be successful. This offense is crap because the offensive line is horrible. Nebraska couldn't execute any kind of offense with this oline. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Undone said:

20 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

Not to mention Dobbins is one of the best backs in America 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Ohio State is averaging more rushing yards per game than passing yards. You can argue they are passing to set up the run, but I don't know that they disprove the notion that you have to run the ball in the B1G.

And I wasn't unaware of their running success. I think coming into our game with them, Dobbins was averaging something like 7.1 yards per carry. Their offensive line allows them to basically beat anybody on their schedule however they want.

Looking at their box scores for their B1G games I do see they've had more running yards than passing yards in their games. But the offense they're running seems a bit more "Big 12-ish" than what they were doing under the first part of Meyer's tenure at OSU and also different than what, say, Penn State is doing.

1 hour ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

Yes, that Ohio State.

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Well, for one the 3 teams you are probably talking about beating are not as good as OSU or Minnesota for that matter.  So we do have that going for us.  Indiana is decent, but their non conference wins are against teams that are not very good and in conference they have beat Rutgers the worst team in the league and Maryland the biggest bipolar team I have ever seen.  

Lets play the games and see what happens. 

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I say that to myself, too. But Indiana is 5-2 with a similar mix of blowout losses and expected wins.

Why should Nebraska be expected to win? Oddsmakers actually give Indiana the edge on the road. 

And PJ Fleck announced after the Minnesota game exactly how he game planned to beat Nebraska.

He said he didn't believe our LB would be disciplined in their fits.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the coaches on our schedule wrote that down.

37 minutes ago, TheSker said:

And PJ Fleck announced after the Minnesota game exactly how he game planned to beat Nebraska.

I'm pretty sure that is evident to anyone who watched any game this year

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

This^.  He stated to paraphrase "If I can get them going sideline to sideline, the cut backs will be open"....And they were.  I just don't think that's something that gets fixed in 2 weeks. I'd also try Nelson and JoJo at OLB as well this game. Gotta set that edge and not get sucked in standing flat footed watching the ball carrier go by..

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

This^.  He stated to paraphrase "If I can get them going sideline to sideline, the cut backs will be open"....And they were.  I just don't think that's something that gets fixed in 2 weeks. I'd also try Nelson and JoJo at OLB as well this game. Gotta set that edge and not get sucked in standing flat footed watching the ball carrier go by..

I don't think it gets fixed this season.

According the the coaches, Nelson will see more snaps this week, but that won't help the ILB situation.