"Offensive" issues

4 hours ago, Undone said:

As will I. And I'll also take the 514 yards of total offense we put up.

But that wasn't the point.

If your point is that this perfectly executed short screen by our third string quarterback and same offensive line should have been executed earlier and more often --- especially because it's an effective weapon against aggressive defensive lines -- I agree. 

47 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If your point is that this perfectly executed short screen by our third string quarterback and same offensive line should have been executed earlier and more often --- especially because it's an effective weapon against aggressive defensive lines -- I agree. 

Right you are!

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

You lamented that the screen pass to Robinson 'only' went for 21 yards.  I responded to that comment.  Pretty simple really.

I lamented that it took eight games for us to run a screen pass that went for 21 yards. We've ran that play and failed miserably at it almost too many times to count before that play this season.

27 minutes ago, Undone said:

I lamented that it took eight games for us to run a screen pass that went for 21 yards. We've ran that play and failed miserably at it almost too many times to count before that play this season.

We've run a lot more screens that go all the way to the sideline, take longer to develop, and allow the defense to be there waiting for the tackle, often behind the line of scrimmage.

This one was better. 

On 11/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, Undone said:

Honestly, if I never saw us try another screen I'd be happy.  Like you, until last night I never saw one work as designed....I watched SMU/Memphis last night. Those 2 teams know how to play the screen game....and get quick passes to speedsters in space...

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Honestly, if I never saw us try another screen I'd be happy.  Like you, until last night I never saw one work as designed....I watched SMU/Memphis last night. Those 2 teams know how to play the screen game....and get quick passes to speedsters in space...

Yeah, but it's the AAC.....right?

Right?

• Plus1 1
On 11/1/2019 at 5:51 PM, Toe said:

Remington? Is that the guy that played with Peters and Winstrom?

haha

Couldn't watch the game had KS state HS vb tourn yesterday, but I did catch the shutout on the goal line. was that 1st and goal and we threw 3 incomplete passes and had to settle for a field goal? 

To me, the first litmus test for my offense is easy. Can you line up in the red zone and pound the ball in. I despise passing in the red zone. I'm sure there are some stats that say I'm stupid , but to me that's where you line up and men prove themselves decisively. You set the tone with little left to the imagination. To me,  Purdue wouldn't be the team we shouldn't be able to do that. IF you CANT line up in Rhino or whatever your team calls it and own the moment, go get a new hobby. 

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

Yeah, but it's the AAC.....right?

Right?

I'll own that.  I have made multiple comments about the B1G being much more physical than the AAC.  But both of those teams would hang 50 on NU.  No doubt in my mind.  That's also why I say I like Frost's scheme, but not in it's entirety.  I'd like some Husker Power to go with the speed. When you can't get the chunk plays, you've gpt tp be able to get the tough yards.  Yesterday we started with the ball on their side 4 times and got 3 points...Chunk plays are great, but you've got to move the chains.   Both those teams can do that as well.....Not to mention great play calling by both teams...

As to the eye ball test, both those teams have significantly better football players than NU does.  not more stars, but better players.  

As I mentioned in another thread showing our current B1G rankings, the O has done enough to go bowling, but the D is abysmal.....If the D could be average this year, we go bowling.  In spite of an offense that has regressed.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I'll own that.  I have made multiple comments about the B1G being much more physical than the AAC.  But both of those teams would hang 50 on NU.  No doubt in my mind.  That's also why I say I like Frost's scheme, but not in it's entirety.  I'd like some Husker Power to go with the speed. When you can't get the chunk plays, you've gpt tp be able to get the tough yards.  Yesterday we started with the ball on their side 4 times and got 3 points...Chunk plays are great, but you've got to move the chains.   Both those teams can do that as well.....Not to mention great play calling by both teams...

As to the eye ball test, both those teams have significantly better football players than NU does.  not more stars, but better players.  

As I mentioned in another thread showing our current B1G rankings, the O has done enough to go bowling, but the D is abysmal.....If the D could be average this year, we go bowling.  In spite of an offense that has regressed.

Absolutely those teams have better football players than Nebraska.

We easily left 21 points minimum off the board yesterday......from wide open tight end to a screwed up shovel pass.

I mean we'd take a shovel pass to Wan'dale in the red zone all day every day as a play call.

Frost's scheme could have lit up the scoreboard......including yesterday.

But execution......

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Absolutely those teams have better football players than Nebraska.

We easily left 21 points minimum off the board yesterday......from wide open tight end to a screwed up shovel pass.

I mean we'd take a shovel pass to Wan'dale in the red zone all day every day as a play call.

Frost's scheme could have lit up the scoreboard......including yesterday.

But execution......

But not on paper. (and I agree)  Why have  we repeatedly, year after year continued to underperform with the kids we get.....Cally, Bo, Riley and now Frost.  I guess you can even argue Frank...

Kids like Wan'dale look as advertised.  Others, the jury is out.  But the kids we have in year 2 under Frost are not playing near as well as UCF in  year 2 (although the years prior to Frost had good records save 2016).  

Like Urbs said, look under the hood.  Why can't we "get it right" after multiple changes and same results.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, lo country said:

But not on paper. (and I agree)  Why have  we repeatedly, year after year continued to underperform with the kids we get.....Cally, Bo, Riley and now Frost.  I guess you can even argue Frank...

Kids like Wan'dale look as advertised.  Others, the jury is out.  But the kids we have in year 2 under Frost are not playing near as well as UCF in  year 2 (although the years prior to Frost had good records save 2016).  

Like Urbs said, look under the hood.  Why can't we "get it right" after multiple changes and same results.

I get they are in year 2 under Frost.

But.

For the seniors, much of their development needed to occur under Riley.

It's only one example, but we're already seeing improvement with Cam Jurgens, right?  He may be our best OL now.  And that credit goes to Frost and Austin.

As head coach, Frost is obviously responsible for all the players now.  But damn, the development of the upperclassmen is bad.  And I'm not willing to hold Frost completely accountable for that.