"Offensive" issues

13 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

And the game would still not have even been close if the Martinez could hit open receivers

Could've would've should've, bottom line is the game was winnable and the D couldn't get one more stop. Allowing a third string qb to go 6-for-6 on the last drive. I was one of those who thought Chin needed more time, but it's getting harder to sit back and watch this.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Nebraska won’t be Nebraska until we recruit to be Nebraska which is now the Wisconsin and Iowa way.  We will never get enough great talent to win Conference and National Titles running a gimmick spread.  That’s our offensive struggles.  

Weren't spread offenses developed for teams that weren't very talented? If you can't overpower or out talent your opponent isn't an offense like a spread thats supposed to get your players in space ideal?

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Jurgens - good snap, great second level block springs this play.

Farniok & Jaimes - failure to even touch a player stops it from going for another 10 and maybe to the house.

Very true. Jurgens and the LG do a good job of creating space to run in. It's striking to me the lack of mobility of Farniok...and he is playing right tackle. With this Defensive alignment, there is no way he can block the LB...

1 minute ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Very true. Jurgens and the LG do a good job of creating space to run in. It's striking to me the lack of mobility of Farniok...and he is playing right tackle. With this Defensive alignment, there is no way he can block the LB...

That one is tough for Farniok because it looks like his primary job is to block the LB if Martinez keeps it on the backside. With the alignment and the fact that the run went the other way, he's got no chance. Not that Farniok played flawlessly yesterday, but Jaimes actually has a chance on this play and we really only needed one of those guys blocked.

3 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Ya Farniok lack of mobility is pretty bad. He's built to pass block or downhill run block. He's not a spread OL.

Definitely hard to get hte block on that LB, however if Jaimes makes any contact at all with his man then maybe Wan'Dale can juke that backside LB. As well, the LBs and DBs key on Wan'Dale so fast that this is screaming for Martinez to keep it on a future play.

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That one is tough for Farniok because it looks like his primary job is to block the LB if Martinez keeps it on the backside. With the alignment and the fact that the run went the other way, he's got no chance. Not that Farniok played flawlessly yesterday, but Jaimes actually has a chance on this play and we really only needed one of those guys blocked.

Agreed. By alignment alone, it would be tough for any OL to get that block on the backside, so I shouldn't be too hard on Farniok for this play. I just saw his attempt to climb to 2nd level and his lack of mobility caught my eye. Dude is doing what the coaches are asking him to do, even though everyone knows it isn't a great fit, so he deserves some props for that....

2 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Agreed. By alignment alone, it would be tough for any OL to get that block on the backside, so I shouldn't be too hard on Farniok for this play. I just saw his attempt to climb to 2nd level and his lack of mobility caught my eye. Dude is doing what the coaches are asking him to do, even though everyone knows it isn't a great fit, so he deserves some props for that....

Yeah, I mean some of it is he's trying to make sure the LB doesn't beat him to the wide side in case Martinez kept it. So the first couple steps are either wrong (possible) or attempting to keep leverage for the Martinez/Spielman option backside (more likely).

But even once he recognizes the LB going toward Robinson, it is not a pretty sight. Not exactly Will Shields out there. And I know he was a Guard, just can't think of our last athletic tackle. Lydon Murtha tested really well at the combine, but I don't remember how he was on the second level to be honest.

5 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Farniok again. If he engages and drives his man backwards it's a TD. Instead he shuffles his feet and is thrown to the side by a freaking LB.

He is awful as a tackle.  Now here’s the question. Is he the best we got at that position or was the coaching staff hoping he would suffice for one year so the freshman could redshirt and things be much better next year??

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He is awful as a tackle.  Now here’s the question. Is he the best we got at that position or was the coaching staff hoping he would suffice for one year so the freshman could redshirt and things be much better next year??

I'd say both - I don't think they're intentionally sitting someone better right now, but I'm sure the hope is someone is able to at least compete for the job next year.

• Plus1 1