"Offensive" issues

15 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I assume we can't blame Riley for this?

The flip side to the argument of blaming Riley 100% is the narrative that Frost's staff is not responsible for developing whatever players they do have and that a year in their system can't improve their play because the players are just so shot out and toxic.

In the case of the offensive line I think it's mainly Riley's fault but I certainly expected more out of Greg Austin in getting some of these guys to at least a non-embarrassing level.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

The flip side to the argument of blaming Riley 100% is the narrative that Frost's staff is not responsible for developing whatever players they do have and that a year in their system can't improve their play because the players are just so shot out and toxic.

In the case of the offensive line I think it's mainly Riley's fault but I certainly expected more out of Greg Austin in getting some of these guys at at least a non-embarrassing level.

My post was mostly meant for sarcasm.

Though I blame Riley for a lot and not too concerned if others agree or not.

Austin has been given positive comments by a couple of elite former husker OL.  That's good enough for me.

The development of Jurgens is impressive.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The development of Jurgens is impressive.

He's a great example of the very point of how we really were fairly bereft of talent on the offensive line coming into Frost's first couple years. 

You plug in somebody who's that athletically gifted and naturally strong and as long as the kid is motivated to try his hardest you can't really miss. I see the same in a guy like Corcoran and Benhart. 

We're lucky Jurgens is from just down the road and committed with us for sure.

48 minutes ago, Undone said:

He's a great example of the very point of how we really were fairly bereft of talent on the offensive line coming into Frost's first couple years. 

You plug in somebody who's that athletically gifted and naturally strong and as long as the kid is motivated to try his hardest you can't really miss. I see the same in a guy like Corcoran and Benhart. 

We're lucky Jurgens is from just down the road and committed with us for sure.

Agreed.

The current redshirt freshmen OLmen have impressive height and frames......as do the ones Frost is recruiting in the next two classes.

If even most of them develop, we're gonna be fine.

It's just a little odd at times how our upperclassmen talent deficiencies aren't obvious.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

In the case of the offensive line I think it's mainly Riley's fault but I certainly expected more out of Greg Austin in getting some of these guys to at least a non-embarrassing level.

Save for the Ohio State debacle, Matt Farniok has quitely become our highest-graded offensive linemen over the last month or so.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is actually a pretty sad statistic.  This is what Nebraska's o-line depth chart used to look like.  Remember guys that would be seniors this year are Gaylord, Jalen Barrett, Mike Decker. We may get Gaylord back for a hardship next year, but the other 2 gave up football. 

• Plus1 1

For all the places we're lacking, this right here is by far our biggest problem this season.

The other thing people need to remember is that you shouldn't give up on the current guys - just remember that for an O-line (which takes the longest to develop), they're extremely inexperienced. The future for these players is far from hopeless, even if they look bad today.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Save for the Ohio State debacle, Matt Farniok has quitely become our highest-graded offensive linemen over the last month or so.

I'm sure your right, but I just have these visions of Matt standing at the end of the play looking dumbfounded and our RB losing 3 yards. That's not a fair assessment of him at all, but it's what's in my mind ha.

41 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So, does that mean Farniok is grading high, or does it mean that the grades for the rest of the OL have fallen to unimaginable depths over the last month? :D All kidding aside, we all know Farniok is playing out of position, in that his strengths don't suit the demands of OT in Frost's Offense, so it's hard to get on the guy too much when he does struggle on the edge. He is being a team guy and doing what he is asked, even though he knows it probably won't paint him in a good light. And, I like the fact he is a stand up guy and doesn't make excuses.... :thumbs

• Fire 2

All the QBs seem to be proficient. To take the pressure off Martinez I’d platoon the QBs and give him a break once in a while hoping it will get his head straight while taking a break during the game.

I’d have offensive coaches talking to the QBs about strategy a lot hoping they’ll go in ready to make something happen.