"Offensive" issues

3 minutes ago, Definitely_Not_EZ-E said:

We converted 4 times on 3rd and 7 plus on outside zone reads against the 5th best rushing/3rd down efficiency defense in the nation. We had inferior talent in this one compared to them at basically every spot but QB and one WR spot. It’s clear where the offense is going and it won’t be stopped by a regional power that’s failed on the national stage like Wisconsin. 

Listen im just as encouraged as you about our offensive direction, but we can get 500+ ypg on anyone wont matter unless we put the ball in the end zone .

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, n.e.husker said:

Listen im just as encouraged as you about our offensive direction, but we can get 500+ ypg on anyone wont matter unless we put the ball in the end zone .

Not disagreeing, all I’m saying is given the talent that was available and the performance one can’t be anything but impressed with how they played. I’d go as far to say that with Wandale we win the game. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Danimal said:

I like that we really went for the 1st down here.. At times this season we just ran something safe and prayed we got lucky. 

Down 2 scores with 4:20 left in the game might have something to do with it.  Wiscy just needed to slow us down and prevent a quick score at that point.  It wasn't likely we make both 2 point conversions so we were really down 3 scores.  They rushed 3 on the play and 4 on the Noa catch.  37 points indicates they weren't worried about their offense's ability to grind out the clock.  If these were 1st qtr plays or 4th qtr and only down 1 score I'd be impressed. 

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Down 2 scores with 4:20 left in the game might have something to do with it.  Wiscy just needed to slow us down and prevent a quick score at that point.  It wasn't likely we make both 2 point conversions so we were really down 3 scores.  They rushed 3 on the play and 4 on the Noa catch.  37 points indicates they weren't worried about their offense's ability to grind out the clock.  If these were 1st qtr plays or 4th qtr and only down 1 score I'd be impressed. 

You might find comfort in the fact that that we converted 3rd and 7 plus 3 times before the 4th quarter on what one would call slot slant RPOs. 

Scheme-wise, Jim Leonard doesn’t have a shot moving forward. Scott absolutely hammered him and he simply had zero chance. For long stretches of this game he had zero idea how to even go about stopping us. We ran for more yards on them than Ohio State did for Lord sake. 

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, Danimal said:

I like that we really went for the 1st down here.. At times this season we just ran something safe and prayed we got lucky. 

What, don't you like that 'short pass to Wan'Dale and hope he can scramble for the other 8 yards we need' play?

12 hours ago, Definitely_Not_EZ-E said:

We converted 4 times on 3rd and 7 plus on outside zone reads against the 5th best rushing/3rd down efficiency defense in the nation. We had inferior talent in this one compared to them at basically every spot but QB and one WR spot. It’s clear where the offense is going and it won’t be stopped by a regional power that’s failed on the national stage like Wisconsin. 

Lol that's a pretty big assertion for the worst offense since 2004

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Lol that's a pretty big assertion for the worst offense since 2004

I mean we've put up 493 and 518 yards on Wisconsin the past two years. They've done a good job preventing points, so it really comes down to whether they can keep that up. I can buy that some of that is due to a good defense making stops when they need to, but they won't continue to keep 500 yards in the 21-24 point range. And we did that with an offense which you point out hasn't been great this year.

• Plus1 1
On 11/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, Mavric said:

Definitely this.  Time to pass.  Holes to run through.  Makes a huge difference.

One thing I noticed, after re-watching the game, I thought Hixson played well overall. He got beat a few times on inside moves, but he was firing off the ball pretty well, won several one on one matchups, was able to move his guy out, and moved pretty well overall. A nice comeback for a guy that got shoved into his own QB earlier in the season.....hopefully the Whisky game was a stepping stone for better things for all of the OL....

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Jarhead In Red said:

One thing I noticed, after re-watching the game, I thought Hixson played well overall. He got beat a few times on inside moves, but he was firing off the ball pretty well, won several one on one matchups, was able to move his guy out, and moved pretty well overall. A nice comeback for a guy that got shoved into his own QB earlier in the season.....hopefully the Whisky game was a stepping stone for better things for all of the OL....

I wonder if Frost "simplified" the play calling that game.  Went with things he felt very confident we could execute.  You don't put up almost 500 yards against that D without having good execution.  Just wish we had been as efficient in the red zone....

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

Plays like this are why I think people were too quick to give up on Martinez early in the year.  There are often plays to be made if you can buy some time to let them develop.  There is a fine line between letting them develop and waiting too long and perhaps he was a bit too much on the wrong side early on but I think being able to make plays like this is why.  He just didn’t have a great feel for the timing early on.

I have said this so many times - Adrian is better when he rolls out after the first & second reads aren't there. What I've seen of him on these plays leads me to believe when he's rolling out he's much less worried about that "I'm about to get sacked" feeling and it keeps his mind on the play.

I've seen this over and over and over.

2 hours ago, lo country said:

I wonder if Frost "simplified" the play calling that game.  Went with things he felt very confident we could execute.  You don't put up almost 500 yards against that D without having good execution.  Just wish we had been as efficient in the red zone....

Ya, you might be right. Frost credited the Offensive staff in his postgame presser, saying that they came up with a plan that was well suited to Mills. And, pass pro was decent quite often, with the exception of yielding a couple sacks on a 3 man pressure. I'm real interested to see how the Offense performs this week, and if they can maintain the same success vs Maryland,  hopefully while scoring more points than last week.....

• Plus1 1