"Offensive" issues

20 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I think it's been just the opposite a lot this season imo.  

Ya, after I posted that I realized I should have been more specific, because I know our WRs have had trouble getting separation and blowing the lid off the Defense this season. For this season, I was referring to the seam routes, which is one of the things that have been open this year, and the underneath routes to the TEs. We have seen many times where these routes have been open, and chunks/points have been there, but we can't get the ball there, just like the few plays that AM missed in the Purdue game. Last year, I think we saw more of what the Offense can do when we had a little better WR group, and a QB hitting on all cylinders. That being said, I'm a fan of Frost's idea of merging of the Power concepts from old NU with the current Offense.....

1 hour ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Ya, after I posted that I realized I should have been more specific, because I know our WRs have had trouble getting separation and blowing the lid off the Defense this season. For this season, I was referring to the seam routes, which is one of the things that have been open this year, and the underneath routes to the TEs. We have seen many times where these routes have been open, and chunks/points have been there, but we can't get the ball there, just like the few plays that AM missed in the Purdue game. Last year, I think we saw more of what the Offense can do when we had a little better WR group, and a QB hitting on all cylinders. That being said, I'm a fan of Frost's idea of merging of the Power concepts from old NU with the current Offense.....

Seems like there are times he trusts the play design a little too much instead of reading it. Both the interception and the last 4th down play, he's throwing the outside switch route all the way. I'm not sure if it's because he's trying to force it to JD, or if it's because that play has worked all year and he's just assuming that's what will be open. But both times the inside guy was open.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:56 PM, TheSker said:

This is my favorite message board question.

Sadly, I won’t be able to watch this, but sometimes I wonder when you watch our guys flounder around every big game and act like something is going right against the big boys.

I’d cut everybody a lot more slack if   they’d make media guys use their real name instead of acting like an ordinary fan and trying to get fans to write their columns for them.

Nothing personal, really... and I appreciate your opinion even if you think I’m an idiot.

The offense has been averaging over 26 points per game, if only this team had a defense that could keep opposing offenses from scoring 20+ per game, this would be a much different season.

I'm less worried about the offense, than I am the defense.  The defense is giving up points like sh*t's cool, so until that gets fixed, the offense is going to have make up for their shortcomings, prone to making more mistakes, so it's gonna look worse than it might be.

@walksalone The thing is, last year the offense was way ahead of the defense, and was making up for the defense's deficiencies. This year, though, the defense has actually improved a bit overall, but the offense has regressed badly, to the point of falling a bit behind the defense.

7 minutes ago, Toe said:

@walksalone The thing is, last year the offense was way ahead of the defense, and was making up for the defense's deficiencies. This year, though, the defense has actually improved a bit overall, but the offense has regressed badly, to the point of falling a bit behind the defense.

The offense averaged 28.6 ppg last year.

To me this still looks like a defense that needs more help than the offense.  The defense is giving up 29 ppg this year. and 33.1 last year.

Unless you can light a fire under this defense, the offense is going to spend the entire game trying to play catch up, and this will be a perennial 6-6 or 7-5 team. 

11 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Seems like there are times he trusts the play design a little too much instead of reading it. Both the interception and the last 4th down play, he's throwing the outside switch route all the way. I'm not sure if it's because he's trying to force it to JD, or if it's because that play has worked all year and he's just assuming that's what will be open. But both times the inside guy was open.

I think a majority of AM season has been not reading the D...and even moreso our play calling not reflecting any adjustments to the D

To sum it up, our Offense is very offensive

The offense is very inconsistant and relies far too much on 'chunk' plays and trying to score too quickly.   We punt way  too much and have way too many 3 and outs and fail to get a drive started, let alone finish it.   My observation is that teams that rely heavily on the short passing game as their bread and butter plays tend to have fairly good success moving the ball in the middle of the field (between the 25 yard lines basically) but struggle in the red zones.  I believe this is mostly a result of not having a power running game to keep the defense honest.   You simply MUST be capable and confident in your running game being able to get first downs when you reach 'four down' territory (the opponent's 35 or so).   You ought to be able to plan to run the ball 4 times and get 10 plus yards from basic run formations and personnel.   You can still throw, once or twice in the final 5 or 6 plays of the drive (from the 35 yard line in) but the defense MUST be in the position of defending the run first peronnel and formation wise.   The field gets too small for short passing plays to work as the areca defended gets smaller.   I don't see Frost's offense as having this sort of strength.   The shot gun formation is NOT helpful in my view but there surely are some ways to run some two or even three RB sets and plays (powers, isolations,  traditional options, and play actions.

Introducing a dozen plays with a QB under center would be a good start.   Also, allowing the O line to actually run block would go along way.   We don't seem to have much run blocking (we tend to have pass block techniques almost entirely as the offense play calls so frequently involve having a 'run - pass' option and O linemen therefore are not allowed to fire out and get a true push forward vs the defensive front.