Huskers to Play Illinois in Ireland in ... 2022?

Mavric

17 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

So then why do they have it as a color in their flag?

My family has been Irish-American since the potato blight of the late 1840's but I'll try to give a rough explanation.

The green is for the Catholics, the orange the Protestants, and the white unity between the two.

The Dutch and the English fought the Irish and French in Ireland over the crown that once belonged to the Catholic King James (often referred to as  Séamus an Chaca (James the Sh*t)).  The decisive battle was fought at Aughrim and makes for a particularly interesting story from the days of King James.  Oliver Cromwell is likely the most vilified of the English authorities.  Vikings and Norman English forces had conquered previously but didn't try to eradicate the culture like the English did following that time.  You couldn't speak the Irish tongue nor practice the Catholic religion and keep your land under the Penal Laws.  This is tip of the iceberg stuff, of course, and I'd recommend people study up online, at least, if they're interested.  I know I didn't get much of an education as to Ireland in American schools.  It's somewhat maddening that people don't know Ireland had enough (non-tuber) food to feed itself during the so-called "famine," for example.

p.s. - This was a cool site that gives you a lot in very little space: Irish History

• Plus1 3

22 hours ago, beorach said:

My family has been Irish-American since the potato blight of the late 1840's but I'll try to give a rough explanation.

The green is for the Catholics, the orange the Protestants, and the white unity between the two.

The Dutch and the English fought the Irish and French in Ireland over the crown that once belonged to the Catholic King James (often referred to as  Séamus an Chaca (James the Sh*t)).  The decisive battle was fought at Aughrim and makes for a particularly interesting story from the days of King James.  Oliver Cromwell is likely the most vilified of the English authorities.  Vikings and Norman English forces had conquered previously but didn't try to eradicate the culture like the English did following that time.  You couldn't speak the Irish tongue nor practice the Catholic religion and keep your land under the Penal Laws.  This is tip of the iceberg stuff, of course, and I'd recommend people study up online, at least, if they're interested.  I know I didn't get much of an education as to Ireland in American schools.  It's somewhat maddening that people don't know Ireland had enough (non-tuber) food to feed itself during the so-called "famine," for example.

p.s. - This was a cool site that gives you a lot in very little space: Irish History

I finished reading “Paddy’s Lament: Prelude to Hatred” a while back. All about Ireland in the 1840’s (incredible read for anyone that has Irish ancestry or is interested in the country). I wanna say the book said Ireland produced enough food to feed everyone two or three times over. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Fru said:

I finished reading “Paddy’s Lament: Prelude to Hatred” a while back. All about Ireland in the 1840’s (incredible read for anyone that has Irish ancestry or is interested in the country). I wanna say the book said Ireland produced enough food to feed everyone two or three times over. 

Thanks for the suggestion, Fru.  My local library doesn't seem to have it but their website is a little confusing.

The last bit of non-fiction I read was "Blanketmen" from Richard O'Rawe.  It was about the IRA hunger strike in the eighties.  I figure that's probably something most Americans don't know about as well.  Rangers fans seem to enjoy singing about one of its fatalities, though.  The fascination with the Troubles in modern Scotland baffles me.

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, beorach said:

LeafyMealyAlaskankleekai-size_restricted

• Haha 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Huskers to Play Illinois in Ireland in ... 2022?