Offensive Playcalls

Let me preface this by saying, I am not sure about the title. It's probably misleading; I just don't know a better one that isn't a sentence long. If anyone does and can edit it, please feel free. This post is pretty long, so if you want to get to the main question of the post, scroll down to the bold text. 

I will admit I was wrong. Adrian isn't and never was the problem. I think the easy thing is to blame the QB when the offense struggles, and I unfortunately fell into this category of thinking. Was he playing bad? Maybe, but that can be traced back to one problem: the offensive line. From the bad snaps, to zero time to process information, Adrian wasn't given much to work with. As a QB, what are you supposed to do when you get the ball - or have to track it down - and there is someone immediately in your face? I think both Noah and Adrian would be fine QBs if they had even a decent on-line. (I think Adrian has a much higher ceiling). 

So, the point of this post is to ask the question: what can Frost do to help the obvious o-line deficiency? What plays can be called to move the ball and put points on the board? I'm pretty sure there are some coaches on this board, so I'm just curious what others have to say. I would say I know more about football than the average fan, but I am definitely not a coach, and I'm sure other fans know way more than me. 

Personally, I thought the I-formation worked pretty well against a much more talented team, but we haven't seen it much since then. It seems Frost has a lot of different plays to call from it, and it's definitely different than any I-formation I have seen in the Big Ten. The players also looked like they were executing it well, and it looked like the players were gaining confidence using it, and things were clicking. I'm not saying to only use this, but I do think it should be used more, especially early in the game. 

He can call the same things but keep a back in the backfield to chip defensive players who waltz into the backfield.  That kid from Ohio State had a field day in our backfield and I don't remember a TE helping block him and backs chipping him. 

Personally, I'd like to see some bunch formations which allow 2AM to get rid of the ball quickly and also gives the receiver a couple of blockers with the need to beat one guy in space.  Quicks slants.  Misdirection stuff that puts doubts into the heads of aggressive defenders.  Receivers who sit in an open space against zone defenses allowing easy throws from 2AM.  How about some I-Formation stuff that has worked but disappears?  Reminds me of the Diamond Formating in the Bo days that was unstoppable but not utilized nearly enough.  I'd also like to see the pocket move to protect 2AM and buy him time to get rid of the ball or run.

While the talent gets upgraded (hopefully), I think we'll see more zone reads that actually work, run pass options and an actual running game.  But that line has to get better or it's all for not.  

My understanding is that after showing the I formation against Ohio State, Northwestern and Minnesota were prepared for it. So was Ohio State after it took the time out. 

That's no reason not to throw some I-formation into the mix. But that one great drive we remember no doubt benefited from the element of surprise.

Yeah, I agree about quick slants and six yard curl routes that ensure someone in open space when the pocket is collapsing. Stoll should be that check down guy more often. I think Martinez needs to take more of the green space he's given. I think we should get a fullback and use him as a blocker, a runner, a decoy, and a receiver. Mills could do some of this out of the backfield with Washington and Robinson, and Frost can recruit a legitimate fullback later. If you watched the 49ers vs. Browns last Monday, they showed how having Kyle Jusczyck playing a traditional fullback really opened up the Niner offense both running and passing. A fullback is also there to take on the first defender through any leaky offensive line. 

Put Martinez under center a little more often. Teach him how to play action fake -- defenses seem to know what we're doing from the moment we line up. Pitch outs seem to work a little better than sending Washington, Mills and Wandale straight into the line, and we should probably do them more often.

That's all I got. 

Draws, screens, traps. Those plays negate a super up-field defense (ie porous line). 

This may be stated and over simplified, but...going under center once in awhile and having hard counts can stop some over aggressive defenses. 

Lastly, whole formation shifts...from say an I-formation into bunch trips or 4 wide into 2 TE formations can make the defense think for a count or at least adjust. I don’t think we shift formations enough. 

We have the personnel to do it and have many attack points to do all these things, but I haven’t seen it. And I’m surprised we haven’t. 

However...our O-line is simply not good so oftentimes, no what he could call won’t go well. Point blank. 

3 hours ago, I am I said:

Draws, screens, traps. Those plays negate a super up-field defense (ie porous line). 

This may be stated and over simplified, but...going under center once in awhile and having hard counts can stop some over aggressive defenses. 

Lastly, whole formation shifts...from say an I-formation into bunch trips or 4 wide into 2 TE formations can make the defense think for a count or at least adjust. I don’t think we shift formations enough. 

We have the personnel to do it and have many attack points to do all these things, but I haven’t seen it. And I’m surprised we haven’t. 

However...our O-line is simply not good so oftentimes, no what he could call won’t go well. Point blank. 

I've said all season, that Frost and Co, to date IMHO, have shown an inability to play call to defeat a "pin your ears back defense.

A lot haves aid the above too many times to counts.  Draws, counters, traps, quick slants, shuffle pass etc....  As you mentioned use formations to create the imbalance.  Spread the field wide and run where they are not. Bunch the formation and hit the quick out or slants with our speed guys.  Show substitutions that force the D into nickel and then go under center with 2 backs...A multitude of things that could at least be tried that are not.

Perhaps even some plays where it's simply hat on hat.  best man wins.....And use the correct personnel. Mo will never be a between the tackles runner this year.  I think he's dinged up and needs to gain some weight..