What Year are we BACK

TGHusker

What year are we BACK  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since that fateful 2001 cold November day in Colorado, the Husker program has been trying to get back to relevance.  Some of us drank the kool-aid and thought

Scott Frost could repeat his UCF magic  here in year 2.  Obviously there is more to fix than many of us could imagine.  So, when do you think we will be 'BACK" to

relevance and by relevance I mean winning the Big 10 championship.  We've won division championships in the Big 12 and Big 10 West but those did not bring

us BACK. 

My thinking 2022.  I originally was thinking 2021 - 4 years under Frost.  However, the 2021 schedule is brutal - OU, MSU, Michigan, Wisc & Ohio State(why did they all of a sudden become our

crossover rival:dunno - we play them a zillion times and Rutgers, Maryland rarely.  But I digress).  I also think 2022 because we need not only solid OL/DL starters but backups as well.   We may have

the skilled players that we need on the roster by then, but it is having deep lines that will eventually help us to turn the tide.  I think it may take that long to develop that type of experience and depth - to recreate the pipeline.  Also, we have a good red shirt class currently. By 2022 they will have a strong impact on our team's performance.  By 2022 the Mike Riley influence will be gone- this team will be fully Frost's with only his recruits and the culture of hard work will have been fully ingrained into the players and the program.

The 2022 schedule is more manageable than 2021(of course we said the same about this year's schedule). We have OU at home, Rutgers replaces Ohio State, Indiana replaces MSU.  We do have Mich and Wisc away.

• Plus1 2

I really had faith that if we grew this year to be competitive and get a decent bowl that we could start 2020 7-0 heading into the OSU matchup. Now I don't see that happening at all. I'll say 2021 so that way I can stop using the excuse of wait til next year to fans of other teams and use the wait til 2 years. This team sucks lol.

• Thanks 1

Depends on recruiting, ability to change, improve the culture, what they can teach, adapting to B10, Some of the staff moving on...Too many variables. If they don’t get back to the basics, it could be a long time. 
On third and one, can NU just go to a power formation. Lose the shotgun crap?

• Plus1 1

I figured this year 8-4. 7-4 would be a disappointment.  My original thinking and still is 2020 we will see the jump.  Let Frost's original recruits be juniors or rSoph.....After watching the "quit" at Minnie, it could take  to 2021/2022.  As mentioned above, 2021schedule is brutal.

I'm not giving Frost a pass in this lack of improvement.  A lot of coaches are doing A LOT more with A LOT LESS.......Frost and Co need to get after it as well.

• Plus1 1

I am going 2022. Hopeful we can do something special like win a conference championship while we have Wandale.

Some of this depends on if we are willing to look at a more seasoned staff. I think they are nice guys but I think big time football is above their skill set. They flourished in the AAC against lesser coaches. Big Ten coaches are much smarter 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am going 2022. Hopeful we can do something special like win a conference championship while we have Wandale.

Hopefully we will have a few more Wandales. As we look at OSU and the other elite teams, they have several Wandale type players which forces horrific match up problems for the D.  I was hoping the Wandale, JD, Mo trifecta would cause those kinds of match up issues but thus far it has been dud like outside of  a few spectacular plays here an there. 

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Hopefully we will have a few more Wandales. As we look at OSU and the other elite teams, they have several Wandale type players which forces horrific match up problems for the D.  I was hoping the Wandale, JD, Mo trifecta would cause those kinds of match up issues but thus far it has been dud like outside of  a few spectacular plays here an there. 

I agree. I know the offensive line is all time bad. But I was hopeful somehow we could do something creative to get those guys the ball in space. 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Some of this depends on if we are willing to look at a more seasoned staff. I think they are nice guys but I think big time football is above their skill set. They flourished in the AAC against lesser coaches. Big Ten coaches are much smarter 

This is kind of my thought, but I do wonder what the offense and defense would look like with better lines. I think the offense would be okay, but I'm still not sold on the defensive scheme. The defense needs to be able to stop the run in spread and heavy formations. I don't see this scheme doing that. It definitely didn't against Minnesota. 

1 hour ago, Igetbored216 said:

The lines aren't going to be fixed overnight, or even in a couple years. I put 2023, but this is assuming the line recruiting gets better, and the right person is in place coaching them. I am not sure we have the right coaches in place to coach up the offensive and defensive lines. 

I agree. If Scott wants to continue to call plays and go cheap on o coordinator he needs to go out and get a legitimate d coordinator 

• Thanks 1

voted 2023, 2-3 more recruiting classes. its a new world in CFB, it will never likely be like the 90s, but to be relevant again is all I want. living in the top 20 with the ability to win some games against top 10 teams would be reallllllllly nice. Will we be what the top of the SEC is? not sure about that,  but who knows

• Plus1 1