What Year are we BACK

TGHusker

What year are we BACK  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really hard to say as defining “back” is going to be all over the place, especially on this board.  We fired a 9 win coach, who got destroyed in big games, but was pretty consistent with the performance we saw.  His other issues aside, were we back with Bo?  

Lots to do and I honestly feel it could be another decade, if ever.  College football has blown right by us and we are always trying to catch up.  No kid we are recruiting knows us other than what we have been, which is pretty plain and mediocre.  How do you sell that to anyone?  If we don’t improve in the next 3-4 years, we become an even bigger afterthought and the chore may be insurmountable.  Early poll results are not too far from this idea either.

in Scott we trust or is he the last straw?  IDK

• Plus1 1

My fear is that this is the new normal.

It's sad to hear kids in high school talk about how they don't watch Nebraska because "they suck". I hear it all the time, as a teacher. 

I'll never blame kids for being bandwagon. They want to be fans of something they can enjoy. NU football is not enjoyable and kids these days don't see the incentive of being a Nebraska fan. Unfortunately.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

For me being back means being in the hunt for Titles.  I picked 2024 on that basis alone.  Being back to me means being on the for front of conversation on the news outlets.  It means being talked about even though gameday isnt in your backyard.  It means we need to have played for the Big 10 title 2 or 3 times in consecutive years.  It means we need to have at least one playoff spot during that time also and competing for the 2nd one during that time.  It means no more blowouts to cupcakes, we play to the level we recruit for, we play sound football with few mistakes, consistant tackling.  It means we win and lose but when we lose there not 3 touchdown blowouts we lose by 7 or a field goal but no blowouts.  It means we are able to just reload and keep moving on, maybe not 5 star material but we can field a competent team every game.  We are in the top 25 every year and never leave.  To me it takes alot to be back or have that it factor and we are no where close right now.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Scratchtown said:

My fear is that this is the new normal.

It's sad to hear kids in high school talk about how they don't watch Nebraska because "they suck". I hear it all the time, as a teacher. 

I'll never blame kids for being bandwagon. They want to be fans of something they can enjoy. NU football is not enjoyable and kids these days don't see the incentive of being a Nebraska fan. Unfortunately.

This is my big concern - if we are out of the discussion wt high school kids in general, we are really out of the discussion with those that

matter - high value recruits. Kids aspire to be a part of something that is successful, cool, etc.  NU hasn't made its case yet to be a part of that discussion.  I praise those high value recruits who made the decision, by faith in this staff, to come here but we need more than just a few.

We also need consistency in offensive and defensive philosophy - to recruit towards that philosophy, train and develop towards it, and execute accordingly.  Perhaps after 4 years of consistent  SF philosophy implementation & coaching  we will see it played out on the field. 

I just want us to be "back" within my lifetime. My entire life all I have known is Nebraska losing, and I didn't get to experience the national title days. All I know are stories from my Dad, Uncle, and older people in my life and how amazing that must have been. I just hope we can get out of this purgatory we are in. We've been stuck here awhile now, along with other teams like Tennessee, Miami(Fla), and Notre Dame. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

This is my big concern - if we are out of the discussion wt high school kids in general, we are really out of the discussion with those that

matter - high value recruits. Kids aspire to be a part of something that is successful, cool, etc.  NU hasn't made its case yet to be a part of that discussion.  I praise those high value recruits who made the decision, by faith in this staff, to come here but we need more than just a few.

We also need consistency in offensive and defensive philosophy - to recruit towards that philosophy, train and develop towards it, and execute accordingly.  Perhaps after 4 years of consistent  SF philosophy implementation & coaching  we will see it played out on the field. 

No scott needs to bring back the 90s offense or copy Wisconsin's offense and run a 4-3 defense. 

• Plus1 1