What Year are we BACK

TGHusker

What year are we BACK  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yea no. If we had OSUs defensive talent Chinander would look like a genius

It isn't that easy. Coaching plays a big role in developing talent, even 4 and 5 star talent. Just take OSU's defense for example and compare this year vs last year. Larry Johnson is still doing his thing developing the line but the overall scheme has changed with the new coordinators. The changes have helped OSU tremendously this year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

What I am saying is that having a consistent scheme on O and D without all of the coaching changes (either HC or Coordinators) and recruiting to that scheme and developing, executing will pay dividends long term.  I don't care if it is a copy of the 90s D&O or not.  (Wisc offense borrows from our 90s power running and pipeline OL- so I don't give them credit except the wisdom to copy what worked at Nebraska).  I do think we need to get back to the take no captives, full steam ahead, tough minded D we had back then.  I think Scott can tweak the O to have elements of the 90s and mix in his newer stuff.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen Wisconsin's offense this season?  Getting the sense not many have.  Of course, power run-game reigns supreme, but it has not been uncommon, in the least, for Paul Chryst to take advantage of a deep, experienced receiving corps and run out of the pistol / RPO.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, jaws said:

It isn't that easy. Coaching plays a big role in developing talent, even 4 and 5 star talent. Just take OSU's defense for example and compare this year vs last year. Larry Johnson is still doing his thing developing the line but the overall scheme has changed with the new coordinators. The changes have helped OSU tremendously this year. 

And I think if Chinander had your talent to work with his scheme would look pretty damn good. Just my opinion

6 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen Wisconsin's offense this season?  Getting the sense not many have.  Of course, power run-game reigns supreme, but it has not been uncommon, in the least, for Paul Chryst to take advantage of a deep, experienced receiving corps and run out of the pistol / RPO.

Very few here are actually watching Wisconsin and you hit the nail on the head to call it out.

Also, the original quote from TGHusker:

"(Wisc offense borrows from our 90s power running and pipeline OL- so I don't give them credit except the wisdom to copy what worked at Nebraska)"

is quite the stretch. People on this site say this because of the Barry Alvarez connection and parrot a small selection of other similar, canned mantras, but aside from recruiting & developing good offensive linemen, there isn't much of a connection. Wisconsin runs a mainly Pro Style offense, and as you mention, has added some small twists in there with Coan.

Even Iowa has added a touch of this last year and this year as well with Stanley. But, few actually seem to watch that many games outside of Nebraska's.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, badgers007 said:

yes, I've noticed that also.  They seem to have more weapons this year and are taking advantage of it.  That is what I hope Frost can eventually do - establish the run, and exploit with a great passing game.  We just don't have the depth yet to pull it off across the board. 

2 good receivers, 2 good RBs won't cut it and especially wt a very thin and suspect OL

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Very few here are actually watching Wisconsin and you hit the nail on the head to call it out.

Also, the original quote from TGHusker:

is quite the stretch. People on this site say this because of the Barry Alvarez connection and parrot a small selection of other similar, canned mantras, but aside from recruiting & developing good offensive linemen, there isn't much of a connection. Wisconsin runs a mainly Pro Style offense, and as you mention, has added some small twists in there with Coan.

Even Iowa has added a touch of this last year and this year as well with Stanley. But, few actually seem to watch that many games outside of Nebraska's.

When I have watched Wisconsin play, how they remind me of Nebraska of old.....the size and play of the lines.  This is how they are excelling 

Read the new article by Husker Dan.  I think we are talking 3-4 more recruiting classes if Scott can pull them together and get the team believing.  

You will know it the day we come out and beat someone big we aren't supposed to.  Like Stoops did to us.  It shows the team has bought in.

• Plus1 1

We won't be back.  That's not to say in 30 years something unexpected happens and we have a couple of good seasons.  If it was going to happen under Frost we'd see some signs of it by now.  Frost is a good coach (and was our last hope) but like the players that come to Lincoln, something conspires to make them under-perform.  I don't know what is going on in Lincoln but mediocrity rules.  Hard to fathom that it once produced a NC contending program for decades.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

We won't be back.  That's not to say in 30 years something unexpected happens and we have a couple of good seasons.  If it was going to happen under Frost we'd see some signs of it by now.  Frost is a good coach (and was our last hope) but like the players that come to Lincoln, something conspires to make them under-perform.  I don't know what is going on in Lincoln but mediocrity rules.  Hard to fathom that it once produced a NC contending program for decades.

L

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Frost is our last hope to get things trending up I agree, because if he fails it is too long since relevancy to get another big name coach without ties to the school to come.  That said,  your take is too premature and a bit dramatic.  Give it until the end of 2021/22 before nailing the coffin shut on a future natty.  Underperforming has been the M.O. as you said,  so it would take a bit longer than 22 months to end 18 years of that.  Mental wounds need healing.

17 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

1) Riley left a mess no if ands or buts

2)have we gone 4-8 yet this year? No? Where is your crystal ball? Because we can still win 7.

Yea no. If we had OSUs defensive talent Chinander would look like a genius

What evidence have you seen that suggests this team will win 7?  We struggled to beat Illinois.  We struggled to beat NW and their backup QB.  We struggled to beat Southern Alabama who has a total of 1 win this season.  We were smoked by Minnesota.  Minnesota.  39-0 to OSU at haltime.  We are barely beating the "bad" teams in our conference and the remaining bad teams are better than the bad teams we struggled against.  

Riley left a mess huh?  He outrecruited every team in our division.  It has to be true because that's something I've read here over and over.  Getting rid of Diaco was a huge boon for this program because they went 9-4 before that idiots arrival.  Again, excuses for Frost.  People talk about Frost having to get rid of Riley's players because, apparently, they didn't want to play.  Uh huh.  These kids have been competitive their whole lives and now, somehow, they didn't want to play anymore.  They didn't want to lift weights anymore.  All BS.  Saying these kids didn't fit their scheme is believable. The rest isn't.  

I heard Joel Klatt say this morning that Alabama is starting more freshmen than anybody in the country.  Alabama.  Wow.  I wonder how many offseason lifting programs they've done because I keep hearing one or two isn't enough to build up college strength.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Riley was arguably a worse hire than Callahan, and he destroyed what was left of this program. We're struggling up front literally because of him, and this is most of our problem.

What can Frost possibly do differently than he has done? 

More excuses.  Riley went 9-4 the season before his last.  The red headed Manchurian Candidate forced him to hire Diaco and all went to hell.  Getting rid of Diaco should have rectified things.  It didn't.

Did Riley not bring in any o-linemen recruits?  Serious question.  If not, then I'll agree with the issue there.  I really don't know.  I know we've outrecruited other schools in our division.  I know Frost ran off a bunch of kids and now we lack depth.  I know there are things we can do to fight against teams who pin their ears back against our offense that we don't do.  We don't move the pocket.  We do very few misdirections.  I don't see a lot of formations used to confuse defenses.  Frost can do a lot with that offense that has been mentioned in other posts.  I also read our o-line coach say we had 12 guys who were ready.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1