What Year are we BACK

TGHusker

What year are we BACK  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My mind keeps going back over to the thought we are a year and a half into a rebuild and we have people already thinking about getting rid of Frost.   

Again this is a rebuild and we have so many who have zero patience for that rebuild. Once most got through the fluff and kool-aid, we have seen our glaring holes. Some of those holes are at positions that can’t be fixed easily very quickly, namely offensive line.   

I think by year 4 things should be coming together much better. We would be talking all Frost recruits and recruits developed under just this staff. It may be year 5 or 6 when we become really good though.    

You go back and see such coaches like Bill Snyder and Barry Alvarez where it basically took until year 4 before they really took off program wise.   

Sure those two inherited horrible programs but I think if you go back and look at the end of Riley’s regime, things were actually becoming very bad. So no Frost may not of taken over program that had been in despair as long as those two but it wasn’t a good situation at all.    

Nobody is talking about getting rid of Frost.  People are disappointed, and rightfully so, of the product we see on the field.  The offense has regressed badly since the second half of last season and Frost is supposed to be an offensive guru.  There is no arguing that.

I'm also a little annoyed with the Riley hate.  Sure he never should have been hired which I said from day 1.  But blaming him for this team is bogus.  The whole nobody lifted weights and everybody is soft because of ice cream days is pockyc$%k.  Everybody wants to make excuses for Frost because he's from Nebraska.  Would a Coach Frost from Waco, Texas be getting this same unwavering support while delivering a second straight 4-8 season?  I highly doubt it.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BartonHusker said:

My mind keeps going back over to the thought we are a year and a half into a rebuild and we have people already thinking about getting rid of Frost.   

Again this is a rebuild and we have so many who have zero patience for that rebuild. Once most got through the fluff and kool-aid, we have seen our glaring holes. Some of those holes are at positions that can’t be fixed easily very quickly, namely offensive line.   

I think by year 4 things should be coming together much better. We would be talking all Frost recruits and recruits developed under just this staff. It may be year 5 or 6 when we become really good though.    

You go back and see such coaches like Bill Snyder and Barry Alvarez where it basically took until year 4 before they really took off program wise.   

Sure those two inherited horrible programs but I think if you go back and look at the end of Riley’s regime, things were actually becoming very bad. So no Frost may not of taken over program that had been in despair as long as those two but it wasn’t a good situation at all.    

Bill effing Snyder.... seriously that horrible comparison

17 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

No scott needs to bring back the 90s offense or copy Wisconsin's offense and run a 4-3 defense. 

What I am saying is that having a consistent scheme on O and D without all of the coaching changes (either HC or Coordinators) and recruiting to that scheme and developing, executing will pay dividends long term.  I don't care if it is a copy of the 90s D&O or not.  (Wisc offense borrows from our 90s power running and pipeline OL- so I don't give them credit except the wisdom to copy what worked at Nebraska).  I do think we need to get back to the take no captives, full steam ahead, tough minded D we had back then.  I think Scott can tweak the O to have elements of the 90s and mix in his newer stuff.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

What I am saying is that having a consistent scheme on O and D without all of the coaching changes (either HC or Coordinators) and recruiting to that scheme and developing, executing will pay dividends long term.  I don't care if it is a copy of the 90s D&O or not.  (Wisc offense borrows from our 90s power running and pipeline OL- so I don't give them credit except the wisdom to copy what worked at Nebraska).  I do think we need to get back to the take no captives, full steam ahead, tough minded D we had back then.  I think Scott can tweak the O to have elements of the 90s and mix in his newer stuff.

I agree

11 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I'm also a little annoyed with the Riley hate.  Sure he never should have been hired which I said from day 1.  But blaming him for this team is bogus.  The whole nobody lifted weights and everybody is soft because of ice cream days is pockyc$%k.  Everybody wants to make excuses for Frost because he's from Nebraska.  Would a Coach Frost from Waco, Texas be getting this same unwavering support while delivering a second straight 4-8 season?  I highly doubt it.  

1) Riley left a mess no if ands or buts

2)have we gone 4-8 yet this year? No? Where is your crystal ball? Because we can still win 7.

3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I bet even if we had Chase Young Chindander would have him stand on the outside waiting for blockers and occasionally trying to chase WRs accross the field. Until our defense improves this team will be behind the 8 ball. 

Yea no. If we had OSUs defensive talent Chinander would look like a genius

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Nobody is talking about getting rid of Frost.  People are disappointed, and rightfully so, of the product we see on the field.  The offense has regressed badly since the second half of last season and Frost is supposed to be an offensive guru.  There is no arguing that.

Riley was arguably a worse hire than Callahan, and he destroyed what was left of this program. We're struggling up front literally because of him, and this is most of our problem.

What can Frost possibly do differently than he has done? 

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Riley was arguably a worse hire than Callahan, and he destroyed what was left of this program. We're struggling up front literally because of him, and this is most of our problem.

What can Frost possibly do differently than he has done? 

Bill > Riley. Easily 

• Plus1 5
On 10/15/2019 at 8:40 AM, BigRedBuster said:

We won't be "back" till our O line becomes good and deep.  That takes years.  I chose 2022 because I think that's the earliest we could have a well developed O line with some of our good young linemen becoming upper classmen like Benhart and Piper.

This is also assuming that the coaching staff is going to develop these players on a "normal" timeline.  Putting a lot of eggs in the Greg Austin basket 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

10_point_buck: “Lots to do and I honestly feel it could be another decade, if ever. College football has blown right by us and we are always trying to catch up. No kid we are recruiting knows us other than what we have been, which is pretty plain and mediocre. How do you sell that to anyone?”

Nebraska had an identity that worked in the 20th Century. The Huskers need to redefine and refresh themselves in a way that works in the 21st.

Vince Lombardi - not a bad coach in his day - once said, “Football is blocking and tackling. Everything else is mythology.”

As many have stated on this board, if you can’t block and tackle you haven’t got a prayer. Not today and not tomorrow.

He also said, “Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.”

That’s something the Huskers can sell in the 21st Century. Teaching those things to young men is, in fact, more important than the outcome of any football game or season.

One more from Vince, “The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.”

If the Huskers are doing everything they can with everything they have, they are winners in the bigger picture. Pretty numbers on the scoreboard is fun, but being as good as you can be is the best anybody can do. If they are not doing everything they can, then everyone else knows who is responsible for that.

No, you can’t sell losing to recruits. But you can sell the fact that you’ll make better young men out of them and you will put them in their best situation to succeed individually and as a team. No coach or program can ever do better than that. And IF you do that, the wins will come. And then, the glory.

39 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

10_point_buck: “Lots to do and I honestly feel it could be another decade, if ever. College football has blown right by us and we are always trying to catch up. No kid we are recruiting knows us other than what we have been, which is pretty plain and mediocre. How do you sell that to anyone?”

Nebraska had an identity that worked in the 20th Century. The Huskers need to redefine and refresh themselves in a way that works in the 21st.

Vince Lombardi - not a bad coach in his day - once said, “Football is blocking and tackling. Everything else is mythology.”

As many have stated on this board, if you can’t block and tackle you haven’t got a prayer. Not today and not tomorrow.

He also said, “Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.”

That’s something the Huskers can sell in the 21st Century. Teaching those things to young men is, in fact, more important than the outcome of any football game or season.

One more from Vince, “The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.”

If the Huskers are doing everything they can with everything they have, they are winners in the bigger picture. Pretty numbers on the scoreboard is fun, but being as good as you can be is the best anybody can do. If they are not doing everything they can, then everyone else knows who is responsible for that.

No, you can’t sell losing to recruits. But you can sell the fact that you’ll make better young men out of them and you will put them in their best situation to succeed individually and as a team. No coach or program can ever do better than that. And IF you do that, the wins will come. And then, the glory.

Not going to bust your chops, but this sounds an awful lot like the “participation trophy” society we live in.  Win or lose, the process has done something great, maybe not on the field though.  This is not why Scott was hired.

• Thanks 1