OWH: Should we be doubting Frost?

Conversely, it would be weird if a guy paid to write about the Nebraska football team full-time didn't write articles and ask questions similar to what Husker fans post on fanboards. 

The advantage for beat reporters is that they occasionally get legitimate inside that we don't. But some of that stuff you don't publicize if you ever want access again. 

There's not much argument that this year's team isn't playing as well as the team that came together for the last six games of Frost's first year. I don't think you can fully retreat into the "dumpster fire" argument and it would be wild over-reaction to suggest Frost's seat is getting warm, so it must be something in the middle. And we already know that. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

To me this is a very strange comment. Some fans didn’t like him and he might take another job at some point ,so we fired him and hired Mr 50% Rogers because he reminded some fans of their grandpa.

I think this is the same reason they didn’t make the obvious choice of promoting McBride.

How is Bo doing at Youngstown State?  He had a very good season and made the title game when he first got there and has been pretty middling since then.  I figure if he comes back to FBS, he will have to start as a DC somewhere.

I love Frost. I think he will get us back. 

But at the same time I love the article. It was refreshing to see someone call it how it is. Not dance around because they are afraid they wont get future insider info.

I dont think it makes Frost's seat warm. I think if anything it makes some people happy to hear something said publicly we all think. Frost kinda put his foot in his mouth with some of those comments. So what. Move on. 

Nothing wrong with saying that out loud in my opinion. Hopefully it makes him more cautious in the future. I know next time Frost says we got a damn good team I want to believe its true.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Nothing wrong with saying that out loud in my opinion. Hopefully it makes him more cautious in the future. I know next time Frost says we got a damn good team I want to believe its true.

Nothing wrong with it either way, agreed. We all know that we find out whether it's true when the games are played. It's kind of on the fans for buying into hype. I think it's a stupid argument to somehow be butthurt that we sucked after all of the inflation; that's on you & me if we bought into it.

You gotta love Paul Chryst's approach, though. The guy plays it low key and lets his team do the talking. Frost is definitely getting humbled a bit right now in my opinion. He came in riding a huge wave of confidence from that 2017 season and I imagine has probably faced some disbelief in how hard it is to actually win a bunch of games in the B1G. 

The need to retool for this conference is more glaring than ever. The fans should be following our offensive line recruiting & development and also to understand that position takes time to build up. If you can't accept that, that's also on you.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Nothing wrong with it either way, agreed. We all know that we find out whether it's true when the games are played. It's kind of on the fans for buying into hype. I think it's a stupid argument to somehow be butthurt that we sucked after all of the inflation; that's on you & me if we bought into it.

Kinda. But college football analysts, pollsters, Las Vegas oddsmakers, and Urban Meyer bought into it, too, so this isn't simply a case of homerism. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Kinda. But college football analysts, pollsters, Las Vegas oddsmakers, and Urban Meyer bought into it, too, so this isn't simply a case of homerism. 

I won't name names, but I've seen quite a few posters that seems to be personally offended that reality didn't meet expectations. That's just a thing that happens sometimes as a college football fan and in life in general. I'm really directing the comment more at that crowd.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I know next time Frost says we got a damn good team I want to believe its true.

As much as John Q Public might want Frost to say we just aren't very good, that is never a good message for the team to hear their coach say.

Frost is smart enough to know that.

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Imagine if we had Jim Leonhard as our DC....and before him we had Dave Aranda....

I know.

Starting to feel almost painful that, given that Moos clearly opened up a blank check to turn this thing around, our leadership (including Frost) didn't go that route. 

I have grave concerns about Chinander. He has a ton to prove.

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

My concern is that he's ruuning a pac 12 offense and a pac 12 defense in a conference that is the total opposite

You’d be surprised to learn that the PAC 12    Has a winning record against the Big Ten over the last 20 years.  68-55 PAC 12.  Every Big Ten team except Wisconsin and Ohio has a losing record against the PAC 12 during that time span.  In fact, the Big Ten falls to 32-60 against the PAC 12 if you remove Wisky & Bucky.

I’ve said for awhile now that I feel the Big Ten is deadweight weighing down the program.  The level of football in the Big Ten is below that of the Big 12.  The numbers bear this out.  The Big Ten is the 2nd weakest power football conference behind only the ACC.

Last 20 years:

Big 10

ACC 

45-33

Big 12

38-46

PAC 12

55-68

SEC

35-48

Sorry to hijack your comment, but I felt like ranting.  I think you mean the team needs to play with more ‘toughness’ and that a power running scheme helps accomplish that goal.  I tend to agree with that sentiment...problem is we have O-lineman who should be playing at the FCS level.

• Plus1 3
16 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I can't read it but by headline alone this is why we ended up with Callahan and Riley. From the outside Nebraska fires 9 win coaches and questions coaches after a season and half. 

Not really. Pelini didn't start facing really hard questions and heat until 2012. 2011 was the start of the uglier moments, but we gave him a pass for the first year in the Big Ten while still having a decently good season. 08-09 we all were pleased as punch. Half of 10 we were ecstatic and the other half we were frustrated but understanding and patient.

Callahan didn't even start facing the real hot seat furnace until 2007. Sure nobody expected to start with a losing season, but people got over it, then got excited with 8-5 and 9-5 seasons, with both sides of the ball right at a championship level. 

Solich was super comfortable in his job security for four years minus two weeks.

1 hour ago, Random Task said:

You’d be surprised to learn that the PAC 12    Has a winning record against the Big Ten over the last 20 years.  68-55 PAC 12.  Every Big Ten team except Wisconsin and Ohio has a losing record against the PAC 12 during that time span.  In fact, the Big Ten falls to 32-60 against the PAC 12 if you remove Wisky & Bucky.

I’ve said for awhile now that I feel the Big Ten is deadweight weighing down the program.  The level of football in the Big Ten is below that of the Big 12.  The numbers bear this out.  The Big Ten is the 2nd weakest power football conference behind only the ACC.

Last 20 years:

Big 10

ACC 

45-33

Big 12

38-46

PAC 12

55-68

SEC

35-48

Sorry to hijack your comment, but I felt like ranting.  I think you mean the team needs to play with more ‘toughness’ and that a power running scheme helps accomplish that goal.  I tend to agree with that sentiment...problem is we have O-lineman who should be playing at the FCS level.

You can't really go over the past 20 years when the B12 and P12 are drastically different, even the B10. 

1 hour ago, Random Task said:

Last 20 years:

Big 10

ACC 

45-33

Big 12

38-46

PAC 12

55-68

SEC

35-48

You serious, Clark?  Aside from maybe a couple teams, the PAC-12 is garbage most years.  

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

You can't really go over the past 20 years when the B12 and P12 are drastically different, even the B10. 

This.  You look at the past 10 years and the B1G is 36-31 against the PAC-12

The fact that Bo didn't like to recruit and allowed good athletes in Nebraska to go elsewhere makes me believe those lofty records would soon be more like 6 or 7 win seasons.

Sure,  Frost made some promises but should he have stood up and said we suck and I don't know if I can fix this make everyone happy? We'd have more Dick Chaterlain articles than we would know what to do with.