OWH: Should we be doubting Frost?

15 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

You serious, Clark?  Aside from maybe a couple teams, the PAC-12 is garbage most years.  

This.  You look at the past 10 years and the B1G is 36-31 against the PAC-12

And thus you'd be crazy to conclude that the BIG is significantly better than the PAC-12 in head to head competition, up and down the line.

More to the point, in the last 20 years of Rose Bowl matchups, the Pac 12 best is 9 - 4 against the Big 10 best, and conventional wisdom is that Big 10 power ball often gets exploited by faster teams with high-paced playbooks. 

Stanford and Ohio State seem to have the best of both worlds. They pass or run based on whatever the defense gives them, and operate behind big, smart offensive lines. 

This is a down year for the Pac 12, but you probably wouldn't trade our second tier Big 10 opponents for Washington State, Cal, Stanford, USC, or Arizona. We already lost to 3-3 Colorado. It would be pretty entertaining to watch Frost's Nebraska play Chip Kelly's UCLA, but I'd hate to put money on it. 

I just gotta believe that  Husker fans don't understand Big 10 football better than Scott Frost.  

8 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

How is Bo doing at Youngstown State?  He had a very good season and made the title game when he first got there and has been pretty middling since then.  I figure if he comes back to FBS, he will have to start as a DC somewhere.

So you think it’s okay to fire someone with that record because he’s just not going to the top?

I didn’t realize his record was that good until I looked it up.

We May never have a coach do much better than that and we’ve fired them twice.

I’m just curious because some people say they just hate Bo and some say that record is unacceptable.

Frank and Bo both had records as coaches which most would be quite happy with right now.   Frank had the off the field issues, but was retooling his staff to get things going again, never got that chance.  Bo’s issues are well documented, but his performance exceeded both the guys who came after him.  

I am fine with the tough questions and thoughts being brought to the forefront.  There are many, even those who are quite active on this board, who don’t like this and the scarlet colored glasses are always on.  It is fair.

winning cures all, end of story.  When that happens, most of this goes away on its own but until then it is very fair.  No one said earning the paycheck would be easy.

11 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Frank and Bo both had records as coaches which most would be quite happy with right now.   Frank had the off the field issues, but was retooling his staff to get things going again, never got that chance.  Bo’s issues are well documented, but his performance exceeded both the guys who came after him.  

I am fine with the tough questions and thoughts being brought to the forefront.  There are many, even those who are quite active on this board, who don’t like this and the scarlet colored glasses are always on.  It is fair.

winning cures all, end of story.  When that happens, most of this goes away on its own but until then it is very fair.  No one said earning the paycheck would be easy.

I'm doubtful that critical posts on a message board make Frost's job more difficult.

So carry on.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:52 PM, Packerhuskerfan said:

Not going to pay to see the article, but Frost will get at least 5 years to turn things around.  It is disappointing to see this team play much worse than the team did in the last half of last season.  Hopefully, we can get two more wins, but we are going to have to start scoring points again.

So let me get this straight.  You all thought a team that won 4 games last yr, lost their leading receiver, rusher, 3 offensive lineman....not to mention sr outside lb for who we all know we don’t have a replacement that was even close.  You all expected us to come out and win what....8-9.  I’ll admit I didn’t think our oline would be this bad but it is, largely because they are no good and don’t fit the system.  Give it time this is a massive rebuild.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/15/2019 at 8:46 PM, 10_point_buck said:

Both coaches were so great that frank has never left the Mac and didn’t have any great offers after being fired.  Bo is coaching a big HS in northern Ohio with no other head coaching offers in the pwr five.  Quit the comparisons, bo was/is a joke and embarrassment.  Solich is fine but is where he is supposed to be.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

So let me get this straight.  You all thought a team that won 4 games last yr, lost their leading receiver, rusher, 3 offensive lineman....not to mention sr outside lb for who we all know we don’t have a replacement that was even close.  You all expected us to come out and win what....8-9.  I’ll admit I didn’t think our oline would be this bad but it is, largely because they are no good and don’t fit the system.  Give it time this is a massive rebuild.

I thought 7 or 8.  Looks like 5 or maybe 6 now.

Scott Frost is a professional football coach.  He has a set of skills that allow him to ply his trade.  No different from engineer who knows technical drawing or a carpenter who can start with a bare patch of ground and build a house.  

We are just some whiners with smartphones.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1