OWH: Should we be doubting Frost?

So hold up.

You're telling me Dirk wrote a hot take about how we should doubt a coach that says his team is going to be good, even though he knows our Freshmen outnumber our Upperclassmen?

Because that coach who has turned that roster over, and knows that he has more talent overall (albeit pretty young talent) is saying that his roster is "more talented" than last year. And so that means that coach...

What? Lied to us? Or said words that would make that roster think they could compete?

SUPER DUPER EXTRA LOOPER BREAKING NEWS YOU GUYS

Apparently Frost should have said, preseason, that we're going to be lucky to make a bowl this year with skill players predominantly Freshmen & Sophomores. And a young, patchwork O Line.

Because saying that would have made it... better? Would have instilled fight into the youngsters?

And where was this hot article in August?

I dunno. Maybe this isn't such groundbreaking forward thinking material.

Good writers know how to tap into the zeitgeist of their audience. Dirk is tapping into the collective angst of Husker Nation.

Don't anyone ever doubt that Dirk knows when to land a punch.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

So hold up.

You're telling me Dirk wrote a hot take about how we should doubt a coach that says his team is going to be good, even though he knows our Freshmen outnumber our Upperclassmen?

Because that coach who has turned that roster over, and knows that he has more talent overall (albeit pretty young talent) is saying that his roster is "more talented" than last year. And so that means that coach...

What? Lied to us? Or said words that would make that roster think they could compete?

SUPER DUPER EXTRA LOOPER BREAKING NEWS YOU GUYS

Apparently Frost should have said, preseason, that we're going to be lucky to make a bowl this year with skill players predominantly Freshmen & Sophomores. And a young, patchwork O Line.

Because saying that would have made it... better? Would have instilled fight into the youngsters?

And where was this hot article in August?

I dunno. Maybe this isn't such groundbreaking forward thinking material.

Good writers know how to tap into the zeitgeist of their audience. Dirk is tapping into the collective angst of Husker Nation.

Don't anyone ever doubt that Dirk knows when to land a punch.

Dirk is very good at what he does (referring to your last sentence). However, I do think Frost was a little over the top in his praise (He compared Martinez to Mahomes for crying out loud). There are less aggressive ways to build confidence in your team.

I thought Dirk made some good points, especially this one: This is a lot harder than Frost thought it was going to be.

• Plus1 2
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Dirk is very good at what he does (referring to your last sentence). However, I do think Frost was a little over the top in his praise (He compared Martinez to Mahomes for crying out loud). There are less aggressive ways to build confidence in your team.

I thought Dirk made some good points, especially this one: This is a lot harder than Frost thought it was going to be.

While I support local journalism & I have a digital subscription to both the LJS & OWH, I'm not going to read Dirk's hot takes on this season.

There are literally better analyses on HuskerBoard than in any of his writing - no matter how talented of a writer he is.

And if I want a really in-depth analysis, I'll rely on my subscription to Hail Varsity, who breaks down stuff in a way better analytical manner than Dirk.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

While I support local journalism & I have a digital subscription to both the LJS & OWH, I'm not going to read Dirk's hot takes on this season.

There are literally better analyses on HuskerBoard than in any of his writing - no matter how talented of a writer he is.

And if I want a really in-depth analysis, I'll rely on my subscription to Hail Varsity, who breaks down stuff in a way better analytical manner than Dirk.

Sure, but the correlations he made are pretty easy to make.... And fair, in my opinion.

We should absolutely not be doubting Frost. This roster is, currently, ugly and it's going to take a complete 4 year roster flip to see where this thing is really heading. I'm of the opinion that this offense is going to be fun to watch in the next couple years. This staff will continue to bring in Wan'Dale Robinson kind of skill players - can't wait to see it develop!

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Sure, but the correlations he made are pretty easy to make.... And fair, in my opinion.

Sure, but are they literally any different than half a dozen threads right here on HuskerBoard? Uh-uh.

I stopped reading Dirk's stuff when I realized it had been literally years since I learned anything new from him. He's the Matt Millen of the OWH.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Surely you mean this to only apply to his contribution to football coverage? Because he's the most talented writer/storyteller of his (local) peers. 

His writing talent is unquestioned.

But insight? Eh.

Tell me something Dirk has taught you that you can't find in a post here on HuskerBoard. Give it an 18-month window.

If he's just saying the same thing two dozen others are saying, but more eloquently... so?

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I can't read it but by headline alone this is why we ended up with Callahan and Riley. From the outside Nebraska fires 9 win coaches and questions coaches after a season and half. 

The start of Scott's tenure hasn't gone the way many thought or hoped, but he's universally regarded as a great coach. Almost everyone knew this was a massive rebuilding project. If we for some reason ran Frost off a legit coaching prospect would never consider Nebraska again. 

The failures of this team fall in part on Frost and in part the players and prior staffs, but Frost needs his contract played out. If he doesn't fix it then that's probably just where Nebraska is at. 

I have no doubt Frost can fix this and as painful as Saturday was Frost needs to get the chance to figure it out.

I think he needs help.  I'm thinking Kirby Smart on one side of the ball and Joe Brady on the other.