OWH: Should we be doubting Frost?

36 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Dirk is very good at what he does (referring to your last sentence). However, I do think Frost was a little over the top in his praise (He compared Martinez to Mahomes for crying out loud). There are less aggressive ways to build confidence in your team.

I thought Dirk made some good points, especially this one: This is a lot harder than Frost thought it was going to be.

To be fair, he said he saw Martinez make a throw he'd never seen before, maybe watching KC last year. I've seen Martinez make the throws he was referring to this year. Carrying that thought further to think AM will be Mahomes this year is what the fans and media did. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I think he needs help.  I'm thinking Kirby Smart on one side of the ball and Joe Brady on the other.  

So, you're thinking Smart gets fired this year or we can pay him enough as DC to quit his HC gig? 

Joe Brady would probably actually be a fantastic hire based on LSU this year. 

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Then this is just irresponsible journalism. He wrote a head line that makes it sound like the support for Frost is waning and stuck it behind a pay wall. 

Because he asking a question?  You can ask all the questions you want after your team with more "talent" goes up Minnesota and plays like FCS team getting a check to play.  You can question how we don't have better kickers or can't find one when high school teams in the state have better kickers.   You can question when the coach says we will be competing for the league title in 2019.  You can question why in the world he is answering questions about the bye week before it even happens, and watching your team look like that's what they were looking forward too.  You got guys continually playing awful that continue to stay on the field.  For f$#%-)s sake you got a guy habitually punching people in the face!  I doubt the discipline is that great on this team, both mentally and responsibly wise.  I doubt he likes making a player feel bad by taking him out.   All I read on these message boards is that the blowouts under frost would stop immediately, that wasn't the case, whos to say there isn't doubt.   Sure looks like the players doubt themselves.  Martinez, Washington, ect.  

If any of these things doesn't raise a little doubt that's great for you, doubting and questioning isn't saying you don't think he's the correct coach.   You all want to crush on the media who is an integral part of the machine.  But when they question the coach it's the same from you all more time more time rebuild rebuild.  Sorry it doesn't take time to not go get freaking boat raced by row the boat guy, that's not OK, it's not acceptable, and if what you saw on Saturday doesn't raise a little doubt in some areas then I have no idea what you were watching. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Taking it that Frost's message to the media and the team are pretty different. Taking it was if you want to play for the Huskers let's go to work and if you don't good bye. 

The message to the team always needs to stay within the team.

The media can pound sand.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

So hold up.

You're telling me Dirk wrote a hot take about how we should doubt a coach that says his team is going to be good, even though he knows our Freshmen outnumber our Upperclassmen?

Because that coach who has turned that roster over, and knows that he has more talent overall (albeit pretty young talent) is saying that his roster is "more talented" than last year. And so that means that coach...

What? Lied to us? Or said words that would make that roster think they could compete?

SUPER DUPER EXTRA LOOPER BREAKING NEWS YOU GUYS

Apparently Frost should have said, preseason, that we're going to be lucky to make a bowl this year with skill players predominantly Freshmen & Sophomores. And a young, patchwork O Line.

Because saying that would have made it... better? Would have instilled fight into the youngsters?

And where was this hot article in August?

I dunno. Maybe this isn't such groundbreaking forward thinking material.

Good writers know how to tap into the zeitgeist of their audience. Dirk is tapping into the collective angst of Husker Nation.

Don't anyone ever doubt that Dirk knows when to land a punch.

Seriously excellent take.

Not enough +1s

24 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Because he asking a question?  You can ask all the questions you want after your team with more "talent" goes up Minnesota and plays like FCS team getting a check to play.  You can question how we don't have better kickers or can't find one when high school teams in the state have better kickers.   You can question when the coach says we will be competing for the league title in 2019.  You can question why in the world he is answering questions about the bye week before it even happens, and watching your team look like that's what they were looking forward too.  You got guys continually playing awful that continue to stay on the field.  For f$#%-)s sake you got a guy habitually punching people in the face!  I doubt the discipline is that great on this team, both mentally and responsibly wise.  I doubt he likes making a player feel bad by taking him out.   All I read on these message boards is that the blowouts under frost would stop immediately, that wasn't the case, whos to say there isn't doubt.   Sure looks like the players doubt themselves.  Martinez, Washington, ect.  

If any of these things doesn't raise a little doubt that's great for you, doubting and questioning isn't saying you don't think he's the correct coach.   You all want to crush on the media who is an integral part of the machine.  But when they question the coach it's the same from you all more time more time rebuild rebuild.  Sorry it doesn't take time to not go get freaking boat raced by row the boat guy, that's not OK, it's not acceptable, and if what you saw on Saturday doesn't raise a little doubt in some areas then I have no idea what you were watching. 

:ahhhhhhhh

I can't read the article, but. . .talk is cheap.  At the same time, press conference quotes are meaningless and shouldn't have much read into them.  Coach Frost said some nice things about his team, he also declared them a 4-8 team until they themselves prove otherwise.  Who gives a crap?  I missed where he declared the team "back and here to stay".  I'm not saying anything Earth-shattering here, I know :|

• Plus1 5

Not just Frost with some strong words.  Here's a quote from Bando:

Austin, with his group around him on the sideline after the game, laid out the stakes.

“He told us it was a moment where we needed to realize that it’s time to either quit or to get better,” said sophomore Broc Bando, who took over for Trent Hixson at left guard in the second half. “And I’m going to get better.”

IMHO, Frost and Co do have culpability in this seasons performance as wall.  It's not only the players fault.....

• Plus1 1

Nope, not worried at all.  Frost was dealt a crap hand and is trying to make the best he can of it.  Moos was spot on over the summer when he said 6 wins was the goal and most didn't believe it, some of that is on Frost and co. for promoting the idea that we were better than we were but also the media played a huge part in it.  Fact is we are another two to three season away from being elite again.  If we can get to 6 wins (going to be a difficult task) we can get to a bowl game and maybe get a little better.  Don't expect next season to be much better but the win totals will gradually keep getting better til we are winning 10+ games every season.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I’m staying definitely patient with Frost. If he can’t do it, no one will at Nebraska. Probably won’t have the team we want until at least year 4 or even 5. This roster was a complete dumpster fire when it got it. It was probably worse than he imagined. I know it was worse than I thought. 

Let’s be honest Frost has not been perfect and he has had to learn some lessons the hard way but thankfully it seems the administration has a lot of patience, even if some of our fan base has none. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1