Let it die

We just got a pretty big recruit who was considering other schools. He said he was REALLY impressed by the unwavering fan support in the 4th quarter when we were getting beat like a drum by Ohio State, and that was the big part of his decision to commit to UNL. 

I'll take your ticket if you're going to give it away or throw it away. 

No matter what, Sticking Together In All Kinds Of Weather. 

• Plus1 6

When I read the topic line I figured this would be the discussion. I’ll play devil’s advocate because I don’t think the OP is off base.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  Fool me going on 20 years? The sellout streak is cutesy stuff.  I’d rather be known for actually having a good football team.  I’m not saying don’t show up but this streak is one of the last things I care about. There could even be an argument that who cares how the team plays because the fans keep selling it out.  At some point I don’t blame fans for saying screw this.  I do the same thing watching games from CA.  I used to watch every snap of every game but when you see the same poor play year after year there are just better things to do. I’m glad we have a great fan base but don’t think the OP has no merit. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

When I read the topic line I figured this would be the discussion. I’ll play devil’s advocate because I don’t think the OP is off base.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  Fool me going on 20 years? The sellout streak is cutesy stuff.  I’d rather be known for actually having a good football team.  I’m not saying don’t show up but this streak is one of the last things I care about. There could even be an argument that who cares how the team plays because the fans keep selling it out.  At some point I don’t blame fans for saying screw this.  I do the same thing watching games from CA.  I used to watch every snap of every game but when you see the same poor play year after year there are just better things to do. I’m glad we have a great fan base but don’t think the OP has no merit. 

I think what you and OP are getting at is something I've been saying since the middle of the Pelini Era: We have to stop selling these players on the fact that we are "Nebraska," when the "Nebraska" we're referring to is the 1980s & 1990s version of this team. If these players are being taught that this is what they're joining, they're not being sold on reality.  Because today's Nebraska is more akin to the worst era of Northwestern, Iowa & Minnesota football over the past 20 years, not Nebraska's glory days of a generation ago.

It creates false expectations, and it's why a Minnesota team that we've out-recruited for a decade can embarrass us for four quarters. Not four guys on this team would have started on Frost's 1997 team. They need to realize that, and have the mindset that they have to work harder to overcome the talent deficit.

Iowa does that. Wisconsin does that. Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern all do that.  It's why they've all beaten us in the past two years.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

I am beginning to think that the only way we move forward is to let the sellout streak die...are we not actually lying to ourselves each game?

I have seen games lacking butts in seats and yet it is declared a sellout by ticket purchase.

Let's get our 3 Hail Mary's and 4 Our fathers over with and move forward with a clean conscience 

We, apparently, sold our souls for the 90's...so let's cleanse ourselves and move forward 

How about we all pull together, tell the team we love em, we got your back, anything we can do to help let us know?

How about doing that?

• Plus1 1

Ending the sellout streak will not accomplish anything. Plus, the sellout streak is our way of showing this team and these coaches that even though they continue to disappoint us, we, as fans, will always be there supporting them and hoping that one day this team starts to play with some Husker pride. The sellout streak is the only positive thing we have in this program right now and it is why players want to come here. We can only hope that the coaches realize what they have in Nebraska and actually start earning their fat pay checks because the product they put out on the field leaves very little to be desired. 

• Plus1 4
9 hours ago, chamrocck said:

And who cares how many tackles the safety makes after they bust loose for 20 yards?

Those are the kind of stats K State used to have when they were 0-10.