In or Out: Speech

I keep going back to the O line on this issue.  

I think it was Frost that said after the game that it's very disappointing to see our O line get pushed around like they did.  He claims he saw them push iron in the weight room.  It's not a strength issue.  I believe him on that.

So, that leaves technique or effort.  Right now, I have to believe it's effort and the lack of effort is leading to bad technique.  You have to go up to the line with the attitude you are going to kick the guy's a$$ across from you every play.  I'm not seeing that.

Now, obviously this doesn't apply to trying to block someone like Young from OSU.  There hasn't been anyone that's been able to block him all year.  But, when you see a guard get totally pancaked in a bull rush where he didn't hardly even slow down the defender......that's lack of effort that leads to lack of technique.

I think this is what Frost is trying to get to by saying this to the team.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

Just now, dvdcrr said:

Nice that you have to give the "In or Out" speech to scholarship guys.  Real nice 

I honestly don't get why it's needed with any athlete at this level.  These guys (even the walk-ons) have been very competitive guys all their lives and successful doing it.  Why is it that all of a sudden when they get here....these talks are needed?

This is why we have seen the same issues through 3-4 coaching staffs.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly don't get why it's needed with any athlete at this level.  These guys (even the walk-ons) have been very competitive guys all their lives and successful doing it.  Why is it that all of a sudden when they get here....these talks are needed?

This is why we have seen the same issues through 3-4 coaching staffs.  

Yes, It amazes me that scholarship players need this kind of talk.  They are 'getting paid' to do a job and to do it right.  The OL is still talking technique after all of these games.  Baffles my mind.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I keep going back to the O line on this issue.  

I think it was Frost that said after the game that it's very disappointing to see our O line get pushed around like they did.  He claims he saw them push iron in the weight room.  It's not a strength issue.  I believe him on that.

So, that leaves technique or effort.  Right now, I have to believe it's effort and the lack of effort is leading to bad technique.  You have to go up to the line with the attitude you are going to kick the guy's a$$ across from you every play.  I'm not seeing that.

Now, obviously this doesn't apply to trying to block someone like Young from OSU.  There hasn't been anyone that's been able to block him all year.  But, when you see a guard get totally pancaked in a bull rush where he didn't hardly even slow down the defender......that's lack of effort that leads to lack of technique.

I think this is what Frost is trying to get to by saying this to the team.

I can’t speak on the entire o line, but I was at the game this weekend. I know I’ve been critical of Hixson and his strength, but he’s a redshirt freshmen who constantly wrestled at state for Skutt. Staying on topic, I watched him make an amazing block on a stunt and Farniok misdiagnosis the play and get beat badly. He doesn’t have the athleticism to be at RT. I’d love to see him compete with Wilson next year and hope that Benhart can put on enough strength this offseason.

Cam looked like our best blocker. 

Also, our pulls always look sloppy on the angles they take. I’ve seen multiples were they run into players, unsure if it’s the line getting blown off scrimmage or it’s just bad technique. 

I don’t think it’s Austin’s fault as he lost a guard whose in the 2 deep for the skins in foster and Farmer who I believe is starting in the CFL and was a true weight room freak.

2 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

I can’t speak on the entire o line, but I was at the game this weekend. I know I’ve been critical of Hixson and his strength, but he’s a redshirt freshmen who constantly wrestled at state for Skutt. Staying on topic, I watched him make an amazing block on a stunt and Farniok misdiagnosis the play and get beat badly. He doesn’t have the athleticism to be at RT. I’d love to see him compete with Wilson next year and hope that Benhart can put on enough strength this offseason.

Cam looked like our best blocker. 

Also, our pulls always look sloppy on the angles they take. I’ve seen multiples were they run into players, unsure if it’s the line getting blown off scrimmage or it’s just bad technique. 

I don’t think it’s Austin’s fault as he lost a guard whose in the 2 deep for the skins in foster and Farmer who I believe is starting in the CFL and was a true weight room freak.

Yes, I hope Benhart and Piper are really gaining size and strength so they can play next year.  I agree that, for the most part, the issue hasn't been in Jurgen's blocking.  And...this was probably his best game with snaps.  So, probably his best game all year.  What we don't know is how well he is making the line calls.  Is some of the guard issues because he's not doing his job with the calls?  No way for us to know.

^

Adding a comment to Calhoun Huskers post:

I agree with the athleticism aspect as well when it comes to our offensive line.  Guys just don't have the feet to properly get into position to be able to properly execute the block imo.  In the end we need better offensive lineman imo.  You can have a guy lift all the weights in the world but if he doesn't have the say footwork or the agility then his strength becomes a moot point pretty quickly.  Farniok is a perfect example.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, I hope Benhart and Piper are really gaining size and strength so they can play next year.  I agree that, for the most part, the issue hasn't been in Jurgen's blocking.  And...this was probably his best game with snaps.  So, probably his best game all year.  What we don't know is how well he is making the line calls.  Is some of the guard issues because he's not doing his job with the calls?  No way for us to know.

Is Piper in serious contention for a starting role next year?  If so, he's got the weight room ethic down.  I saw a video from Duval of him squatting 595 pretty easily.  He was a freak athlete at Catholic and was one of the fastest kids on the team.  I think he'd make a great pulling guard because of his speed.  He's also got that nasty that we want in a pipeline member.

1 minute ago, MasterPulverizer said:

Is Piper in serious contention for a starting role next year?  If so, he's got the weight room ethic down.  I saw a video from Duval of him squatting 595 pretty easily.  He was a freak athlete at Catholic and was one of the fastest kids on the team.  I think he'd make a great pulling guard because of his speed.  He's also got that nasty that we want in a pipeline member.

I have no idea.  But, he's the type of guy we need to have move into the O tackle position and contribute.  

I honestly was always surprised they moved Jurgens to center instead of tackle.  He's athletic enough to have good feet and good technique at OT.  

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have no idea.  But, he's the type of guy we need to have move into the O tackle position and contribute.  

I honestly was always surprised they moved Jurgens to center instead of tackle.  He's athletic enough to have good feet and good technique at OT.  

Who's the last 6'2 tackle you remember? That might work in a downhill running scheme, but you need reach outside. He'd have DEs who could get their hands in on him before he can reach them, and when that happens I don't care how strong he is.

• Plus1 2