In or Out: Speech

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have no idea.  But, he's the type of guy we need to have move into the O tackle position and contribute.  

I honestly was always surprised they moved Jurgens to center instead of tackle.  He's athletic enough to have good feet and good technique at OT.  

Agreed on Jurgens.  I'd be surprised if Piper is at tackle because he's only 6'4ish but who knows what to expect anymore.  I think they just want big, nasty, athletic linemen and Ethan definitely fits that description.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Jurgens is listed in his recruiting thread as 6'3".

My bad, could've sworn he was listed at 6'2. 6'3 is still short, particularly for what this staff wants outside. The last recruiting class we had a bunch of 6'6-6'9 guys, and this year the tackles are 6'6+ too. Height isn't everything and maybe he could be a good tackle, but they're trying to get the body types they want in the positions they want.

Just now, Husker in WI said:

My bad, could've sworn he was listed at 6'2. 6'3 is still short, particularly for what this staff wants outside. The last recruiting class we had a bunch of 6'6-6'9 guys, and this year the tackles are 6'6+ too. Height isn't everything and maybe he could be a good tackle, but they're trying to get the body types they want in the positions they want.

I agree and didn't know he was that short until you pointed it out.  It would be interesting to know if he's grown since he was recruited.

57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly don't get why it's needed with any athlete at this level.  These guys (even the walk-ons) have been very competitive guys all their lives and successful doing it.  Why is it that all of a sudden when they get here....these talks are needed?

This is why we have seen the same issues through 3-4 coaching staffs.  

I'm not so sure of this.  I'm too lazy to double check honestly but I'm not sure Reilly brought in guys that had a winning mentality and were consistently on winning teams in HS.  That is something that i've noticed Frost and co. have been doing.  They're recruiting guys that know how to win.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly don't get why it's needed with any athlete at this level.  These guys (even the walk-ons) have been very competitive guys all their lives and successful doing it.  Why is it that all of a sudden when they get here....these talks are needed?

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, It amazes me that scholarship players need this kind of talk.  They are 'getting paid' to do a job and to do it right.  The OL is still talking technique after all of these games.  Baffles my mind.

Farmer had a quote last year, something like he thought he worked hard in high school. Then he got here and realized how much harder he had to work to be successful at this level. So I think some of it is probably that, thinking just a good effort is enough because it has been in their careers so far.

57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, I hope Benhart and Piper are really gaining size and strength so they can play next year.  I agree that, for the most part, the issue hasn't been in Jurgen's blocking.  And...this was probably his best game with snaps.  So, probably his best game all year.  What we don't know is how well he is making the line calls.  Is some of the guard issues because he's not doing his job with the calls?  No way for us to know.

Piper is a great kid.  But if we are hoping on him to be a big improvement to the line, we will probably be disappointed...

• Plus1 1

Benhart

Fritzche

Lynn

Banks

Anderson

Corcoran

Conn

We have the size needed for a pipeline, now we just need to get them ready way faster than any of us thought. These guys need to be ready next year because what we have isn't working at all. Ideally I would love to see Benhart-Wilson-Jurgens-Farniok-Jaimes next year, but Wilson has regressed so much that I would be fine having him bumped to the 2's if someone steps up next year. 

2021 needs to be Corcoran-Conn-Jurgens-Lynn-Benhart. You get that line playing at the talent they are capable of in AM's last year, it could be a good year. However, everything is if's and but's with this team until something changes.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Farmer had a quote last year, something like he thought he worked hard in high school. Then he got here and realized how much harder he had to work to be successful at this level. So I think some of it is probably that, thinking just a good effort is enough because it has been in their careers so far.

I think this is more true than people realize. A lot of these kids were freak athletes at their schools and got by on pure athleticism and talent alone. In college, you're going up against every other freak athlete and talented kid in the country plus kids who take that to a whole new level. It becomes much more about perfect technique, work ethic, desire, etc. when you get to college. Some of these kids probably have never worked at the level they need to now because they didn't have to for success before. I also think that's why Frost and co talk about bringing kids in from winning programs because they understand what it takes to win championships at the high school level.

• Fire 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Jurgens is listed in his recruiting thread as 6'3".

Interestingly enough, 3 out of 6 pro bowl tackles were listed around 6’5, and we know how professional leagues inflate heights. Just have to have good enough athleticism with a little freaky genetics in the arm/hand department.

I still hope Benhart pans out to his ranking and that banks develops like they hoped.

11 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

Interestingly enough, 3 out of 6 pro bowl tackles were listed around 6’5, and we know how professional leagues inflate heights. Just have to have good enough athleticism with a little freaky genetics in the arm/hand department.

I still hope Benhart pans out to his ranking and that banks develops like they hoped.

It's possible, but 2 of the 6'5 guys measured that at the combine so probably roughly accurate. Tyron Smith also has freakishly long arms, like you mentioned. Donald Penn looks like he actually might even be 6'4, and Kelvin Beachum had a few good years and he actually was 6'2. Some guys can do it, but I don't expect to see a "short" tackle here anytime soon.

Cam's definitely an athlete, I'm just assuming the coaches don't like the measurables outside. But I like the thought of Corcoran/Jurgens/Benhart anchoring a line.