In or Out: Speech

15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's possible, but 2 of the 6'5 guys measured that at the combine so probably roughly accurate. Tyron Smith also has freakishly long arms, like you mentioned. Donald Penn looks like he actually might even be 6'4, and Kelvin Beachum had a few good years and he actually was 6'2. Some guys can do it, but I don't expect to see a "short" tackle here anytime soon.

Cam's definitely an athlete, I'm just assuming the coaches don't like the measurables outside. But I like the thought of Corcoran/Jurgens/Benhart anchoring a line.

Slide Piper and Bando/Lynn in there and you might have a pretty solid line

When Minnesota was on the field this past Saturday, their intensity, focus and execution looked like they were playing for a B1G title. Nebraska looked like they couldn’t wait to get back on the plane and head home. 

It’s disheartening to hear Frost has to have this conversation. But it feels like it’s been like this for years now. The “want to” just doesn’t seem to be there at all. Our opponents consistently have career days against us. Iowa wants it. Wisconsin wants it. Minnesota wants it. For whatever reason, Nebraska seemingly doesn’t.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
42 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Regarding this speech:

It's hard to believe that seven games into the season Frost has to give a speech like this. If these guys aren't all in right now, why are they in that locker room?

I'm talking without any specific knowledge, but this could be one of the problems with recruiting winners. Some people like winning more than they like competing. A lot of these kids may know how to win, but they don't necessarily know how to lose. Depending on the message these kids have received about winning and losing, it makes sense that some of them are phoning it in. My specialty isn't in sports psychology, but looking at their training and dissertations, I have some reservations about our sports psychologists. We pay a lot of attention to our strength program, but I think gains could be made on the psychology side of the program. I also think this has been true for a long time. 

I see this with fans to a degree. Team isn't winning, they're not a fan. Sometimes you gotta look at the long game and focus on not just reacting in the moment. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly was always surprised they moved Jurgens to center instead of tackle.  He's athletic enough to have good feet and good technique at OT.  

He's too short in my opinion to be expected to be a 'great' tackle. I could see him at guard for sure. His body type and natural athleticism leans him more towards being a center. I'm honestly fairly confident he'll be a good one in a season or two. And I can wait patiently.

From your first post in this thread:

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, that leaves technique or effort.  Right now, I have to believe it's effort and the lack of effort is leading to bad technique.  You have to go up to the line with the attitude you are going to kick the guy's a$$ across from you every play.  I'm not seeing that.

I think it's a good assessment. My main contention though at this point is that in year 2, this falls back to Greg Austin. Greg coaches the squad, and he's responsible for their success. If <insert_lineman_here> isn't "playing motivated football," Greg needs to put a guy in that is.

This is not directed at you now, BRB, but I see a bit of hesitancy to criticize this staff because the Prodigal Son is at the helm. I think that is unnecessary, and I think Austin deserves some criticism. He can't control the body size of the guys he has to work with, I'll definitely give him that.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Fru said:

When Minnesota was on the field this past Saturday, their intensity, focus and execution looked like they were playing for a B1G title. Nebraska looked like they couldn’t wait to get back on the plane and head home. 

It’s disheartening to hear Frost has to have this conversation. But it feels like it’s been like this for years now. The “want to” just doesn’t seem to be there at all. Our opponents consistently have career days against us. Iowa wants it. Wisconsin wants it. Minnesota wants it. For whatever reason, Nebraska seemingly doesn’t.

Well put yourself in the players shoes.  You are a coddled super athlete who has always had luck with football but because you are so athletic you don't really get challenged in high school.  Now in recruiting, you were passed over by Texas, Alabama because there were players with your athleticism who also LOVE football and are intent on the NFL, while you merely like the game, this having manifested itself in your stats and slight lack of self promotion.  Now here comes Nebraska who lost out on the kid who went to Alabama.  They are willing to pay your way completely.  You get to Lincoln and are shown the posh amenities, full snack/smoothie bar at the Hawks Championship center,fine ladies, and lots of bud.  Later that night (and many nights after) the older members of the team and some chicks party in the dorm with some mighty fat bowls.  

Coach is talking about winning and sacrifice, but what he mean?  Nebraska only ever wins 5-8 games a year so as long as we keep it on the down lo, what they gonna do, kick us out?

• Plus1 3

The “In Or Out” Speech...

There’s something wrong when you have to make this kind of speech - at any time.

1. Lack of personal motivation to pay well on the part of too many players.

2. Failure to establish a sense of a winning attitude and pride of performance in the program.

3. Generational change. Older players generally took for granted the need to play hard and meet expectations. Many younger ones have a harder time paying the price.

4. “Not having fun out there”. This is football, guys. This isn’t supposed to be torture. Maybe you are undersized. Maybe you have match-up problems. Maybe the weather is bad. Maybe the stars are not aligned right. But you STILL can look like you want to be out there. You still can find some joy in the game. Pouting and being downcast is not the path to greatness. Sure, losing is not fun. But you have to CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE. Find the joy, and the wins will come.

5. Is the in/out speech a reflection of where the coach is right now? Is he regretting his decision to take on this challenge? Is he projecting undue pressure that the players are picking up on?

Does Frost need more time? Yes. Are Husker fans frustrated? Yes. This is not a good mix. Patience and wanting immediate results are polar opposites. Sure, Husker fans want to see SOME progress at least. But where is that progress? What is better now than it was two years ago? It’s clear that nothing will come quickly, except...

Bottom line... the most important thing a person has control of is “attitude”. The Huskers need a serious attitude adjustment.

In or Out? How about, Pride or Not? Fun or Not? Standing tall or shoulders slumped? Wearing the “N” means something or not?

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Well put yourself in the players shoes.  You are a coddled super athlete who has always had luck with football but because you are so athletic you don't really get challenged in high school.  Now in recruiting, you were passed over by Texas, Alabama because there were players with your athleticism who also LOVE football and are intent on the NFL, while you merely like the game, this having manifested itself in your stats and slight lack of self promotion.  Now here comes Nebraska who lost out on the kid who went to Alabama.  They are willing to pay your way completely.  You get to Lincoln and are shown the posh amenities, full snack/smoothie bar at the Hawks Championship center,fine ladies, and lots of bud.  Later that night (and many nights after) the older members of the team and some chicks party in the dorm with some mighty fat bowls.  

Coach is talking about winning and sacrifice, but what he mean?  Nebraska only ever wins 5-8 games a year so as long as we keep it on the down lo, what they gonna do, kick us out?

Our issues come down to coaching and talent. Good lord does this post have way too many incorrect assumptions. If you said this tongue in cheek, my bad.  

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Our issues come down to coaching and talent. Good lord does this post have way too many incorrect assumptions. If you said this tongue in cheek, my bad.  

You are wrong.  The coaching is there, what is lacking is player effort, player leadership, player priorities.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1