In or Out: Speech

2 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

You are wrong.  The coaching is there, what is lacking is player effort, player leadership, player priorities.  

I hear the Ohio State players sleep in the film room and have never even sucked helium out of a balloon for fear it would affect their football cadence.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

At this stage- why are we back to fundamentals?  7 games in and we are talking fundamentals.  Sounds like guys haven't been buying in or expected an easy ride thus not paying attention. 

I would take it as, "we need to stop focusing on who knows how much of the playbook, and start focusing on who can tackle, block, catch, and run".  

Reset the depth chart, baby!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

At this stage- why are we back to fundamentals?  7 games in and we are talking fundamentals.  Sounds like guys haven't been buying in or expected an easy ride thus not paying attention. 

Or guys have been so focused on the gameplan and scheme that the basic things have slipped. That happens - this is not the first coaching staff to bring out the "focusing on the fundamentals" talk when things aren't going well. And I'm not saying it's wrong or an excuse, it happens. Particularly with a young team, and one that is probably excited to be working with the entire playbook this year and could be taking the fundamentals for granted at times.

• Fire 3
13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

My hope is they sat back and looked at what they were doing at the end of last season, when they were beating less talented teams and competing with more talented teams - and they realized their focus at that time was getting our guys to do the basics well. I think maybe they put a lot of pressure on themselves to make a “year 2 jump”. We don’t need a year 2 jump, we need to look like that team at the end of last year. This year still has the potential to be a lay the foundation type season. No need for a “jump” just continue to hammer home the basics and let the leap happen naturally. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I would take it as, "we need to stop focusing on who knows how much of the playbook, and start focusing on who can tackle, block, catch, and run".  

Reset the depth chart, baby!

For example, getting the D line to quit turning their shoulders, and stop turning their back to the play

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

I'll say something that I did like that Fleck did when he got there. He played all freshmen. He took some licks the first year. Got a little better year 2 and now you are seeing the improvement year 3. 

We are in a very similar position as Minny last year imo. The 4 game RS rule has kind of changed the approach but I think you wil see a fair amount of the younger talent in these final 5 games. We played quite a bit of youth a year ago as well.

18 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We are in a very similar position as Minny last year imo. The 4 game RS rule has kind of changed the approach but I think you wil see a fair amount of the younger talent in these final 5 games. We played quite a bit of youth a year ago as well.

Understand but this was done from the jump. Not play sparingly 3-4 games. They started 2 years in a row 

• Plus1 1

IIRC, aside from loosing Foster, Farmer, Oz and Stan, we only used a partial playbook last year.  The entirity was not installed until this year. Perhaps the guys are thinking too much.  trying to make the perfect "insert whatever" instead of kust beating the guy across from you.  Ironically, to my eye, we seem more "vanilla" this year than last.  I guess a perfect storm of youth, inexperience, complete playbook, lack of adjustments etc....

I think a lot of this is on desire.  BUT alot falls on the coaches. It took 7 games to see guys half a$$ing?  how many of us saw that against USA........

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

The loss of Farmer and Foster is apparent on the O-Line, but what about the defensive front seven?  They looked really bad out there on the majority of downs, I really fear watching them go up against Wisconsin this year, we might give up 500 yards rushing in that one.

I’d say the DC has gone chicken. At the beginning of the season he was a riverboat gambler. Now he looks almost like Diaco.

Either play to win or go home.

And like several guys have said, get some beef on the line when your three DL are getting run over by five OL.

Show some ability to adapt and quit making your guys look as chicken as your play on your heels calls.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, lo country said:

IIRC, aside from loosing Foster, Farmer, Oz and Stan, we only used a partial playbook last year.  The entirity was not installed until this year. Perhaps the guys are thinking too much.  trying to make the perfect "insert whatever" instead of kust beating the guy across from you.  Ironically, to my eye, we seem more "vanilla" this year than last.  I guess a perfect storm of youth, inexperience, complete playbook, lack of adjustments etc....

I think a lot of this is on desire.  BUT alot falls on the coaches. It took 7 games to see guys half a$$ing?  how many of us saw that against USA........

Probably more confusion and frustration than desire.

You know both of us saw glimpses of a decent power running game and then it just evaporated into sideways calls with a skill player trying to do it all himself.

Does Frost read these boards?

I know he’s not stupid but sometimes it seems like it.