NBA's America

5 minutes ago, QMany said:

Mr. Adam Best doesn’t make a very compelling argument. All he is doing is attempting to turn this into a “nasty, bad conservatives” narrative.

Who is blasting Lebron for not taking a political stance? That isn’t what I see happening at all. He/They are getting blasted for taking the wrong stance instead of keeping their mouth shut. They are simply being mouthpiece puppets for their big money sugar daddy corporations and are only looking out for their own money interests. There may be a segment of our population that wants them to take political stances and make their thoughts known. I’m sure not among that segment. That is why I’d much prefer it if Kaepernick and Lebron or whoever stuck to the sports they know and stay the F out of politics. Same goes for Hollywood actors etc. I really worry about people who want to know what these people think about anything. They’re all over privileged, over paid douches that don’t have a tenable grip on reality and they should stay in their lane.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, QMany said:

Oh I see, the JUST SHUT UP AND DRIBBLE position.

Yep, precisely. But I don’t even care if they dribble or throw the ball. The key part is the JUST SHUT UP. Are they making any good points on this China deal? Doesn’t seem like they’re helping the issue or themselves at the moment.

I welcome our professional athletes, Hollywood stars, etc. using their platform for political purposes, awareness, and fighting for justice. Jackie Robinson, Mohammed Ali, Tommie Smith & John Carlos, Bill Walton, Ronald Reagan, et al. But some people don't like to be reminded of police brutality, systemic discrimination, endless wars, etc. 

But I do think Lebron and some others in the NBA have stuck their foot in their mouths here. Not a good look.  

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

How should the NBA and players like LeBron be reacting to this story?

Standing up against actual oppression, instead of fabricated oppression would be a start.

Also, wouldn't hurt to educate himself, before calling someone else uninformed on the matter.

Consistently stand in for the downtrodden, not back out when it stands to hurt your bottom line.

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What does this mean?

You know what it means

This isn't just an NBA thing. If you've been on the internets a lot of gaming companies are getting blown back for banning and censoring users who speak out about Hong Kong. Boycott Blizzard is the new thing for the nerds.

If you take a step back we're kind of getting a taste of our own medicine now. For almost a hundred years the US controlled world consumption. Now the sheer mass of the Chinese population is dictating consumption. The media, sports teams, artists, and companies are all kowtowing to China because they know it's a massive marker just by the defacto population, and they will be left in the dust if they aren't able to break in and maintain a foot hold. The only problem is, as South Park has so amazingly pointed out (yet again), you have to compromise your tegrity to do that. Sell your soul to the devil to make a buck. 

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What does this mean?

See above (not Zrod's post, but my previous one) He supposedly had the N word spray painted on the gate to his mansion, and came out with a statement during his next media session acting like he just spent 10 years on a cotton farm.

Now, compare his reaction to that, and whatever other minimal (likely non-existent) oppression he's felt in his life, to his reaction to the atrocities the people of China face.... Money talks, and some people like to play victim.

11 minutes ago, QMany said:

I welcome our professional athletes, Hollywood stars, etc. using their platform for political purposes, awareness, and fighting for justice. Jackie Robinson, Mohammed Ali, Tommie Smith & John Carlos, Bill Walton, Ronald Reagan, et al. But some people don't like to be reminded of police brutality, systemic discrimination, endless wars, etc. 

But I do think Lebron and some others in the NBA have stuck their foot in their mouths here. Not a good look.  

Wait...Bill Walton?  I will give you credit on that one.  You are the first person to ever lump him in with Jackie Robinson!

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

You know what it means

This isn't just an NBA thing. If you've been on the internets a lot of gaming companies are getting blown back for banning and censoring users who speak out about Hong Kong. Boycott Blizzard is the new thing for the nerds.

That is interesting, how does that work?  Like, does the gaming company not let those people play online or something like that?  I know there is millions to be made with online gaming, so do they ban/suspend the "superstar" gamers?