NBA's America

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

See above. He supposedly had the N word spray painted on the gate to his mansion, and came out with a statement during his next media session acting like he just spent 10 years on a cotton farm.

Now, compare his reaction to that, and whatever other minimal (likely non-existent) oppression he's felt in his life, to his reaction to the atrocities the people of China face.... Money talks, and some people like to play victim.

Thanks. I've never heard of this.

30 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep, precisely. But I don’t even care if they dribble or throw the ball. The key part is the JUST SHUT UP. Are they making any good points on this China deal? Doesn’t seem like they’re helping the issue or themselves at the moment.

Here's the problem.  None of these people asked for this to be an issue around them.  It all came about because of one owner that tweeted one thing and the snowflakes over in China just couldn't handle it.  So....the players started being asked about it.  I'm pretty dang sure they would love to not be in the middle of this.  But....the press keeps asking them about it.

The press shouldn't be asking these guys about it.....they should be asking the Chinese leadership about it.

• Plus1 1

It seems that Lebron and the NBA mishandling of this has opened the eyes of many to human rights issues in China, that is a good thing. 

I would also advise them also not to congratulate China on its Communist anniversary, that would probably get embarrassingly inconsistent scrutiny.  

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's the problem.  None of these people asked for this to be an issue around them.  It all came about because of one owner that tweeted one thing and the snowflakes over in China just couldn't handle it.  So....the players started being asked about it.  I'm pretty dang sure they would love to not be in the middle of this.  But....the press keeps asking them about it.

The press shouldn't be asking these guys about it.....they should be asking the Chinese leadership about it.

The type of oppression in China that they are currently downplaying, while it may not be as close to their heart, is much more significant, and overbearing than the type of oppression they've come out against before.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Now, how would you know that if you don't follow the NBA?;)

I followed it in the 90s when Jordan played. Pretty much haven't since the Kobe/Shaq era.

That was enough to convince me that my favorite player on my favorite team is, objectively, the greatest player to ever live, and I really don't see any argument against that. :D

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The type of oppression in China that they are currently downplaying, while it may not be as close to their heart, is much more significant, and overbearing than the type of oppression they've come out against before.

I think BRB makes a great point - they didn't ask for this fight, so why do we need to make them fight it?

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I followed it in the 90s when Jordan played. Pretty much haven't since the Kobe/Shaq era.

That was enough to convince me that my favorite player on my favorite team is, objectively, the greatest player to ever live, and I really don't see any argument against that. :D

I think BRB makes a great point - they didn't ask for this fight, so why do we need to make them fight it?

I think the reason they are choosing not to fight it, is the issue. 

$$$$

I read somewhere that China is worth something like $4 billion to the NBA, which is more than double what their TV deals are worth

$$$$

The first consequence of all this that LeBron mentioned in his media session were the "financial" implications.

23 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

See above (not Zrod's post, but my previous one) He supposedly had the N word spray painted on the gate to his mansion, and came out with a statement during his next media session acting like he just spent 10 years on a cotton farm.

Now, compare his reaction to that, and whatever other minimal (likely non-existent) oppression he's felt in his life, to his reaction to the atrocities the people of China face.... Money talks, and some people like to play victim.

How do you know what types of oppression or racism he has experienced....or seen his family, friends...etc. experience?

I can easily speak out about racism even though I'm a white middle aged midwesterner.  I don't see a problem with a rich black man speaking out about it either.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I don't think you can make hundreds of millions from Nike using Chinese labor, market and visit China to further market yourself, and then choose to just tiptoe Chinese human rights issues when it becomes convenient. 

I saw something similar in professional golf recently. The stars received millions of dollars in appearance fees directly from the Royal Families' involvement right after Khashoggi's murder.  

If you avail yourself to those people to line your pocket books, your silence can be noted.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1