NBA's America

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

How do you know what types of oppression or racism he has experienced....or seen his family, friends...etc. experience?

I can easily speak out about racism even though I'm a white middle aged midwesterner.  I don't see a problem with a rich black man speaking out about it either.

The kind of oppression found in China doesn't exist in the United States.

I don't have a problem with him voicing his concerns about anything he perceives as oppression. And he's been very vocal, which makes his stance on all of this interesting.... Except not interesting at all, because it's blatantly obvious why he and others are sitting this one out. $$$$

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think it's the reason they are choosing not to fight it, is the issue. 

$$$$

I read somewhere that China is worth something like $4 billion to the NBA, which is more than double what their TV deals are worth

$$$$

2 minutes ago, QMany said:

I don't think you can make hundreds of millions from Nike using Chinese labor, market and visit China to further market yourself, and then choose to just tiptoe Chinese human rights issues when it becomes convenient. 

I saw something similar in professional golf recently. The stars received millions of dollars in appearance fees directly from the Royal Families' involvement right after Khashoggi's murder.  

If you avail yourself to those people to line your pocket books, your silence can be noted.

I agree with both your points, but it's weird seeing people react this way after having watched the blackballing of Colin Kaepernick.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't have a problem with him voicing his concerns about anything he perceives as oppression. And he's been very vocal, which makes his stance on all of this interesting.... Er, not interesting at all, because it's blatantly obvious why he and others are sitting this one out. $$$$

So....athletes when asked about these issues are damned if they do or damned if they don't.

They're not saying anything about oppression in China...people are upset

They say something about oppression in America...people are upset.

Again....none of these players asked to be involved in this debate.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't have a problem with him voicing his concerns about anything he perceives as oppression. And he's been very vocal, which makes his stance on all of this interesting.... Except not interesting at all, because it's blatantly obvious why he and others are sitting this one out. $$$$

You specifically said "fabricated oppression. I think people are questioning why that is.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I agree with both your points, but it's weird seeing people react this way after having watched the blackballing of Colin Kaepernick.

True...but the difference is...in China.  Kap would be in prison or executed for his protest.  In America he is making millions of dollars a year (good for him, I wish I made it too!)

So if anyone is going to stick up for Kap (which is fine and if anything I am jealous because he is making a fortune and DOESN'T have to get his head bashed in each game) they should probably stick up for the people of China.  Who are oppressed as well.  

I won't say Kaep wasn't blackballed by some teams, he definitely was, but he had contract offers (Didn't John Elway say be offered him one?)

Some of the issue with Kaep is that his perceived baggage outweighed his talent.... If Mahomes (Or Jackson, Wilson, Watson) took a knee the rest of the season, he wouldn't be blackballed from the league.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....athletes when asked about these issues are damned if they do or damned if they don't.

This is where MJ was king...dude never answered questions about anything.  Not that I can remember.  Tiger was sort of the same way.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Consistency matters here. If you're going to be outspoken against "oppression", than be outspoken against oppression. 

Nobody is beating down Jordan's door for thoughts on this, because he always avoided these subjects.

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

I won't say Kaep wasn't blackballed by some teams, he definitely was, but he had contract offers (Didn't John Elway say be offered him one?)

Some of the issue with Kaep is that his perceived baggage outweighed his talent.... If Mahomes (Or Jackson, Wilson, Watson) took a knee the rest of the season, he wouldn't be blackballed from the league.

If the NBA is worth $4 billion from the Chinese, that pretty much outweighs anyone's talent - even the second greatest player to have ever lived.

If the NBA is worth $4 billion from the Chinese, that pretty much outweighs anyone's talent - even the second greatest player to have ever lived.

What does Jordan have to do with this?:D

It does. And I'd say that's why most of them, outside of Enes Kanter (who has had some real struggles), aren't coming out against China.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's the problem.  None of these people asked for this to be an issue around them.  It all came about because of one owner that tweeted one thing and the snowflakes over in China just couldn't handle it.  So....the players started being asked about it.  I'm pretty dang sure they would love to not be in the middle of this.  But....the press keeps asking them about it.

The press shouldn't be asking these guys about it.....they should be asking the Chinese leadership about it.

I hadn’t considered WHY they were commenting on it now. So you may have a very good point here. Although I would hope they could handle the questioning by dodging or avoiding and, if all else fails, by giving much better answers. I understand it’s hard to bite the hand that feeds you but standing with China on this issue sure is not a good look. We’ve seen how they’ve addressed other issues that didn’t affect their pocketbook. If they don’t want to be seen as inconsistent and keep fielding these inconvenient questions, maybe they need to get on the right side of the issue and use their superstardom to effect positive change instead just making sure they stay much better off than all us common folk.

• Plus1 1

I am curious why Lebron James "misinformed" comments has sparked so much outrage from some, especially compared to when our President just tweeted to congratulate the oppressive regime on its Communist anniversary. It also seems embarrassingly inconsistent. 

• Plus1 3

Again...none if this is hard.

Reporter:  So what do you think about China?

Player:  I think they treat a lot of their people like complete s#!t...next question

1 minute ago, QMany said:

I am curious why Lebron James "misinformed" comments has sparked so much outrage from some, especially compared to when our President just tweeted to congratulate the oppressive regime on its Communist anniversary. It also seems embarrassingly inconsistent. 

You think so?  Trump tweets out crazy a$$ stupid stuff all the time.  Seems consistent to me.