NBA's America

14 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Consistency matters here. If you're going to be outspoken against "oppression", than be outspoken against oppression. 

Nobody is beating down Jordan's door for thoughts on this, because he always avoided these subjects.

So....if someone personally is affected (painted graffiti on property) they need to just shut up unless they are going to speak out about oppression world wide.

Really?????

You're trying really hard to be critical of this.

Again....they didn't ask to be a part of this.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Mr. Adam Best doesn’t make a very compelling argument. All he is doing is attempting to turn this into a “nasty, bad conservatives” narrative.

Who is blasting Lebron for not taking a political stance? That isn’t what I see happening at all. He/They are getting blasted for taking the wrong stance instead of keeping their mouth shut. They are simply being mouthpiece puppets for their big money sugar daddy corporations and are only looking out for their own money interests. There may be a segment of our population that wants them to take political stances and make their thoughts known. I’m sure not among that segment. That is why I’d much prefer it if Kaepernick and Lebron or whoever stuck to the sports they know and stay the F out of politics. Same goes for Hollywood actors etc. I really worry about people who want to know what these people think about anything. They’re all over privileged, over paid douches that don’t have a tenable grip on reality and they should stay in their lane.

Next thing you know, they'll be president...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....if someone personally is affected (painted graffiti on property) they need to just shut up unless they are going to speak out about oppression world wide.

Really?????

You're trying really hard to be critical of this.

Again....they didn't ask to be a part of this.

Its actually extremely easy to be critical of.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...because you're speaking out about this inconsistency, you damn well better speak out about every inconsistency in the news.

There's zero correlation there.

This is typical of so many issues.

a)  There's a bad problem with something.

b)  Someone complains about it.

c)  Someone else doesn't react the way some people think they should.

d)  the story becomes how everyone should be reacting to it....instead of the original problem that needs to be addressed.

Why aren't people talking about the original problem instead of how some basketball players are responding to questions about it?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

d)  the story becomes how everyone should be reacting to it....instead of the original problem that needs to be addressed.

Why aren't people talking about the original problem instead of how some basketball players are responding to questions about it?

I don't feel like it's that hard to come out against the Chinese government's treatment of their people, and the millions of Muslims that they have/had in concentration camps.

LeBron and the NBA are taking money from the devil, more or less. They don't want that disrupted, so it's easier for them to ignore this brand of oppression.

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't feel like it's that hard to come out against the Chinese government's treatment of their people, and the millions of Muslims that they have/had in concentration camps.

LeBron and the NBA are taking money from the devil, more or less. They don't want that disrupted, so it's easier for them to ignore this brand of oppression.

There are two parts to this discussion.  I don't necessarily have a problem with what you wrote here.

The part I have a problem with is..."Well, if you are going to complain about some other made up oppression...you better talk about this".

The oppression (racism)  he talked about before was not made up and it was real and it shouldn't be looked down upon that he spoke out about it when it happened.

Here's the part I can't let go:

One man, a General Manager for the Houston Rockets, issues and deletes one tweet in support of pro-Democracy protestors in Hong Kong. 

That's enough for the government of China to blackball the Houston Rockets and threaten the entire NBA, which is hugely popular with the Chinese people,.

So I'm no longer thinking about Daryl Morey being ill-informed on international politics, or being inappropriate in his role as an NBA team representative. I'm thinking that this really is the gauntlet for free speech. China's incredibly thin-skinned over-reaction and demand for censorship makes the case that China is a dangerous country that shouldn't be rewarded, and maybe the Hong Kong protestors deserve even more support. China actually does need the NBA right now, and this presumption that China has all the leverage in this business transaction is pretty weak sauce. 

All the politics is exhausting these days. I get it. But the lecture from LeBron James is pure chickensh!t. 

f#&% China. 

• Plus1 4

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

There are two parts to this discussion.  I don't necessarily have a problem with what you wrote here.

The part I have a problem with is..."Well, if you are going to complain about some other made up oppression...you better talk about this".

The oppression (racism)  he talked about before was not made up and it was real and it shouldn't be looked down upon that he spoke out about it when it happened.

I don't look down on what he said. I took no issue with it. But, I think most would agree that the Chinese people face a brand/level of oppression today, that blacks in America don't.

I'll ask it this way. Do you think the NBA would have any hesitation taking issue with China on this if there was no financial impact at stake?

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Here's the part I can't let go:

One man, a General Manager for the Houston Rockets, issues and deletes one tweet in support of pro-Democracy protestors in Hong Kong. 

That's enough for the government of China to blackball the Houston Rockets and threaten the entire NBA, which is hugely popular with the Chinese people,.

So I'm no longer thinking about Daryl Morey being ill-informed on international politics, or being inappropriate in his role as an NBA team representative. I'm thinking that this really is the gauntlet for free speech. China's incredibly thin-skinned over-reaction and demand for censorship makes the case that China is a dangerous country that shouldn't be rewarded, and maybe the Hong Kong protestors deserve even more support. China actually does need the NBA right now, and this presumption that China has all the leverage in this business transaction is pretty weak sauce. 

All the politics is exhausting these days. I get it. But the lecture from LeBron James is pure chickensh!t. 

f#&% China. 

If you really want China punished...we SHOULD make them watch the Rockets play basketball. 

You know...how amazing would it have been for the NBA to say this:

"We do not agree with what is going on in China, as a private business (I think, right?, you can't buy NBA stock can you?) we cannot and will not play our game in your country, we will not sell NBA merchandise in your country, we will not broadcast our games (Not even the playoff games, the only ones people really watch) in your country.  Thank you for your money but we no longer want that from you, actions have consequences and people deserve rights"

18 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'll ask it this way. Do you think the NBA would have any hesitation taking issue with China on this if there was no financial impact at stake?

We're talking about an individual player.  Not the NBA as an organization.

And....I'm not arguing about their response to China.  I'm talking about the faux outrage about "inconsistency". 

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As somebody famous once said “we can walk and chew gum at the same time”.

This is exactly why I have been avoiding P&R. We could probably all agree that what China is doing is bad and that the NBA and certain players have made comments that put them on the wrong side of issue. But no. People just want to argue and they move the goal posts so that they can argue for their specific POV. As far as I could tell this thread was made for the purpose of addressing the things certain NBA players have recently said that obviously was for the purpose of maintaining their own little cash cow. But now those of us talking about that are supposed to be more concerned with the bigger picture and only talk about the atrocities of China. Well F that. I want to talk about how some NBA players are conveniently outraged by things that don’t affect the amount of money they make but are little bitches for sticking up for the NBA and China.

So carry on. I’ll go back to avoiding P&R again. Should’ve known better.