NBA's America

I wish people got this angry when companies are responsible for people’s deaths.

Or when companies started outsourcing to China a few decades ago when they didn’t have labor laws that were up to our standards.

There’s a reason regulations exist. People should be just as concerned about corporations having too much power as they are about big government. 

And to head off anyone asking, I’m not talking about regulating the NBA. I’m talking about companies putting $ over everything. 

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

As somebody famous once said “we can walk and chew gum at the same time”.

This is exactly why I have been avoiding P&R. We could probably all agree that what China is doing is bad and that the NBA and certain players have made comments that put them on the wrong side of issue. But no. People just want to argue and they move the goal posts so that they can argue for their specific POV. As far as I could tell this thread was made for the purpose of addressing the things certain NBA players have recently said that obviously was for the purpose of maintaining their own little cash cow. But now those of us talking about that are supposed to be more concerned with the bigger picture and only talk about the atrocities of China. Well F that. I want to talk about how some NBA players are conveniently outraged by things that don’t affect the amount of money they make but are little bitches for sticking up for the NBA and China.

So carry on. I’ll go back to avoiding P&R again. Should’ve known better.

So, you don't want to talk about the oppression in China, you want to talk about how outraged you are that the NBA isn't talking about the oppression in China.

1 hour ago, QMany said:

I welcome our professional athletes, Hollywood stars, etc. using their platform for political purposes, awareness, and fighting for justice. Jackie Robinson, Mohammed Ali, Tommie Smith & John Carlos, Bill Walton, Ronald Reagan, et al. But some people don't like to be reminded of police brutality, systemic discrimination, endless wars, etc. 

But I do think Lebron and some others in the NBA have stuck their foot in their mouths here. Not a good look.  

I too believe they are welcome to use their fame to espouse their own viewpoints...but...their voice should NOT count more than any average Joe, and I should not be subjected to it over and over if I don't agree with their position

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I too believe they are welcome to use their fame to espouse their own viewpoints...but...their voice should NOT count more than any average Joe, and I should not be subjected to it over and over if I don't agree with their position

I have literally heard zero seconds of any of this "controversy" with my own ears.

What's going on that you're forced to pay attention to any of this?

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

So...shut up.....unless I agree with you.

PS....I agree with you very much about their opinions shouldn't count more than the average joe.  Way too often in America, we think celebrities opinions actually matter more than others....NOT.

Just now, knapplc said:

I have literally heard zero seconds of any of this "controversy" with my own ears.

What's going on that you're forced to pay attention to any of this?

I should have clarified, not just this issue, but celebrities and actors social stances in general. Just because Bono sells millions of records, does not make him any smarter than me regarding social issues

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...shut up.....unless I agree with you.

PS....I agree with you very much about their opinions shouldn't count more than the average joe.  Way too often in America, we think celebrities opinions actually matter more than others....NOT.

nope, never said they had to shut up...but when every sports outlet, or award show is nothing but commentary on their views...then yes, it irks me

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I should have clarified, not just this issue, but celebrities and actors social stances in general. Just because Bono sells millions of records, does not make him any smarter than me regarding social issues

Agreed. But it's easy to tune out celebrities/athletes you don't want to hear.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you don't want to talk about the oppression in China, you want to talk about how outraged you are that the NBA isn't talking about the oppression in China.

Actually the whole issue doesn’t interest me very much and I’m done with it. I only began because I saw teach’s little exchange in the shed and thought I’d kill some time that I don’t actually have to kill. I know what China is and does. No amount of talking about it on Huskerboard is going to make one ounce of difference. However, I did find it semi-interesting the extent an American sports league and some of its players will go to, to make sure their revenue stream won’t experience any hiccups....but I’m over it.

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We know why you avoid P&R.

I’d be interested to know why you think I have been avoiding P&R.  Just curious if you think it’s for the reasons I have tried to make abundantly clear or if you seem to think it’s something else.

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’d be interested to know why you think I have been avoiding P&R.  Just curious if you think it’s for the reasons I have tried to make abundantly clear or if you seem to think it’s something else.

I think you realize that these topics make you angry and you don't want to or need to feel angry. The debate angers you, and it's not something you want to deal with, so you don't come in here.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I think you realize that these topics make you angry and you don't want to or need to feel angry. The debate angers you, and it's not something you want to deal with, so you don't come in here.

I suppose that’s pretty darned close. It’s not the whole truth as it doesn’t touch on the repetition or waste of time most of these discussions involve, but yeah, it usually ends up putting me in a foul mood. It just seems that way too often people usually feel about the same and are basically on the same side of the issue but for whatever reason we/they still end up arguing with each other.  This topic is the perfect case in point. China is bad, we all know that and agree. The NBA is just a money grubbing corporation. We know this and agree. Certain players will sell their souls to protect their income. We know that and agree. But where do we currently find ourselves on this topic? Arguing with people who are in basic agreement. It’s so exhausting.