NBA's America

Just now, JJ Husker said:

I suppose that’s pretty darned close. It’s not the whole truth as it doesn’t touch on the repetition or waste of time most of these discussions involve, but yeah, it usually ends up putting me in a foul mood. It just seems that way too often people usually feel about the same and are basically on the same side of the issue but for whatever reason we/they still end up arguing with each other.  This topic is the perfect case in point. China is bad, we all know that and agree. The NBA is just a money grubbing corporation. We know this and agree. Certain players will sell their souls to protect their income. We know that and agree. But where do we currently find ourselves on this topic? Arguing with people who are in basic agreement. It’s so exhausting.

I need to follow your lead on the P&R forum.

It is true...this is such a cut and dry topic there is literally no gray (or is it grey) at all.

Everyone knows that China does shady a$$ s#!t to its people ALL THE TIME...we all know that that government sucks and we all know that they are pretty freaking close to the opposite of America.  But even though we all know that, and this thread should just be an echo chamber of "Amen" and "plus 1" it turned into what all these threads turn into.

Some people could see a guy walking on water and they would complain that he didn't know how to swim.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

As somebody famous once said “we can walk and chew gum at the same time”.

This is exactly why I have been avoiding P&R. We could probably all agree that what China is doing is bad and that the NBA and certain players have made comments that put them on the wrong side of issue. But no. People just want to argue and they move the goal posts so that they can argue for their specific POV. As far as I could tell this thread was made for the purpose of addressing the things certain NBA players have recently said that obviously was for the purpose of maintaining their own little cash cow. But now those of us talking about that are supposed to be more concerned with the bigger picture and only talk about the atrocities of China. Well F that. I want to talk about how some NBA players are conveniently outraged by things that don’t affect the amount of money they make but are little bitches for sticking up for the NBA and China.

So carry on. I’ll go back to avoiding P&R again. Should’ve known better.

That's an odd reaction, JJ. You seem to be fighting a lot of people who basically agree with you.

36 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I suppose that’s pretty darned close. It’s not the whole truth as it doesn’t touch on the repetition or waste of time most of these discussions involve, but yeah, it usually ends up putting me in a foul mood. It just seems that way too often people usually feel about the same and are basically on the same side of the issue but for whatever reason we/they still end up arguing with each other.  This topic is the perfect case in point. China is bad, we all know that and agree. The NBA is just a money grubbing corporation. We know this and agree. Certain players will sell their souls to protect their income. We know that and agree. But where do we currently find ourselves on this topic? Arguing with people who are in basic agreement. It’s so exhausting.

You keep coming back because, like the rest of us, you're an opinionated person and you have the intelligence to hold your own in all these conversations.

You leave because, unlike some of us who just like the debate side of this forum, that's not really your thing. And I understand why that can get exhausting for people. 

But I enjoy your contributions before you do leave. We differ in opinion on a lot of things, but you're someone I enjoy seeing new views from.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's an odd reaction, JJ. You seem to be fighting a lot of people who basically agree with you.

Who am I fighting with exactly? And why is my reaction odd? It doesn’t feel odd to me at all so wondering what you are seeing here.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Who am I fighting with exactly? And why is my reaction odd? It doesn’t feel odd to me at all so wondering what you are seeing here.

Good question. I'm referring to a couple pages ago when you threatened to leave the P&R forum in a snit, even though  people weren't necessarily disagreeing with you. 

Is it possible that the combination of Communist China, celebrity politics, free market capitalism and non-partisan hypocrisy has broken our P&R brains?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

You keep coming back because, like the rest of us, you're an opinionated person and you have the intelligence to hold your own in all these conversations.

You leave because, unlike some of us who just like the debate side of this forum, that's not really your thing. And I understand why that can get exhausting for people. 

But I enjoy your contributions before you do leave. We differ in opinion on a lot of things, but you're someone I enjoy seeing new views from.

I'll second this. I like the various view points we get in here and it help me learn as well.

35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Good question. I'm referring to a couple pages ago when you threatened to leave the P&R forum in a snit, even though  people weren't necessarily disagreeing with you. 

Is it possible that the combination of Communist China, celebrity politics, free market capitalism and non-partisan hypocrisy has broken our P&R brains?

Hell, that’s just me. Every time I spend more than 5 minutes in P&R I threaten to leave in a snit :lol:....and I usually do just that. I used to spend much more time in here but it just all seems so redundant and hopeless anymore. I enjoy seeing and discussing alternative view points and sharing how I feel on issues but I don’t enjoy that so many of the discussions turn so confrontational or the debate tactics that force people further apart rather than towards what they agree on. It just seems to be the nature of the beast. It’s also why I’m disillusioned with our whole political system and why I try to avoid the news even though I also like knowing what is going on. I’m just happier when I leave it all alone.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I'm just saying. This forum seems crazy to a lot of people. And it makes some people get pretty riled up.

But this is a politics forum on a website dedicated to a Red State sports team, and we have quite a bit of conservative and progressive contributors, which is pretty amazing, really. And it's partly due to the liberal nature of Lincoln & Omaha, and partly due to the Nebraska Diaspora that has sent our sistren & brethren across the country, yet still kept them hooked to Nebraska, the Mother Country.

By the hectare this is a conservative state. By population it's becoming liberal. It's a salt-and-pepper mix that embodies a lot of us - specifically me, which is why Iove this state so much.

Discussions like this are important. It's why I made this thread happen.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  :thumbs

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m just happier when I leave it all alone.

I think (mostly) you and I are opposites when it comes to social mores & politics.

But I'm glad when you DON'T leave it all alone. Because, although I think differently than you, I value your opinion. Your stance is crucially important to the future of this state & country.

I get a kick out of how you get riled up. :D  But I also think that your contributions to this forum are not only good, but necessary.

• Plus1 1

46 minutes ago, Fru said:

It’s interesting to me how so many people that are slamming NBA players for not standing up for Democracy in China, are totally okay with our President actively subverting Democracy in the US. 

donnie has actually given china the greenlight to use force against the protesters.   he isn't speaking up for them or their democratic demands.

1 hour ago, Fru said:

It’s interesting to me how so many people that are slamming NBA players for not standing up for Democracy in China, are totally okay with our President actively subverting Democracy in the US. 

So he is an a$$h@!e too.

Can't we just call them all a$$h@!es?  

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

So he is an a$$h@!e too.

Can't we just call them all a$$h@!es?  

Sure.

But until NBA players break election laws by seeking foreign assistance to influence our elections, I won’t worry too much about them. 

But FWIW, I think it’s a bad look. Similar to Colin Kaepernick having a conniption fit  with Nike (who he has a sponsorship with) for putting an early version of the American flag on a sneaker for the 4th of July, because it harkened back to the era of slavery. Never mind the sweatshop labor that assembles those sneakers. Kaep being paid by a company that profits off modern day slavery, makes his points ring rather hollow, at least in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Sure.

But until NBA players break election laws by seeking foreign assistance to influence our elections, I won’t worry too much about them. 

But FWIW, I think it’s a bad look. Similar to Colin Kaepernick having a conniption fit  with Nike (who he has a sponsorship with) for putting an early version of the American flag on a sneaker for the 4th of July, because it harkened back to the era of slavery. Never mind the sweatshop labor that assembles those sneakers. Kaep being paid by a company that profits off modern day slavery, makes his points ring rather hollow, at least in my opinion. 

Ha!  I forgot about that flag on the shoe!  That dude is such a dork!

I wonder if Kap has ever been on a boat...because boats brought slaves over to America...so if he has been on a boat...well...

• Thanks 1