Bye Week Pressers

Mavric

Red Report: Wan'Dale Robinson 'will be fine'; help wanted from freshmen; Bando 'played hard'

Asked which freshmen he wants to step up or that the staff might look particularly close at this week, Frost said, "any and all of them."

“It would be great to have a couple of the (offensive) linemen, (Ethan) Piper, (Bryce) Benhart and those guys, start to give us some help. Some skill guys, (running back) Rahmir Johnson still has a couple of games to play in and I’m expecting him to help us down the stretch. Guys on defense, too, you might see a bunch of guys later in the year, defensive linemen like Mosai Newsom and Ty Robinson.

“We’ll see what we’re going to do going forward,” Frost said. “I was pleased with Broc coming in and answering the bell. He definitely came in and played hard, so this bye week will give us a little bit of opportunity to gauge who gives us the best chance.

“In an ideal situation, you’d have a rotation anyway and with more depth, we’d like to rotate anyway.”

• Plus1 1

I see this two ways:

1. The freshman he listed just haven’t been ready enough to totally burn redshirts, but they can at least see the field since we aren’t 6-1 and on the cusp of the West. 

2. We need 2 more wins to bowl and other than that we are playing for next year/future. 

I take 2 more likely. This season we need a bowl but other than that, let’s let the younger guys play and just move forward. Frost May be confident enough on two more wins and just wants to go bowl and start next year now. 

• Plus1 1

I love the go freshman now mentality. Maybe some of them haven’t been ready, if that is physically or mentally (playbook/assignments)?  By this point in the season, they should be in much better shape than when they first got here.  

Not to mention these freshman who have yet to play have to be restless and have fire in their belly’s. They are probably eager to show what they can do.  I’m sure Coach Frost is hoping these guys are the spark to turn the season around and kick start the future. But they still get to keep their red-shirt. 

1 hour ago, I am I said:

I see this two ways:

1. The freshman he listed just haven’t been ready enough to totally burn redshirts, but they can at least see the field since we aren’t 6-1 and on the cusp of the West. 

2. We need 2 more wins to bowl and other than that we are playing for next year/future. 

I take 2 more likely. This season we need a bowl but other than that, let’s let the younger guys play and just move forward. Frost May be confident enough on two more wins and just wants to go bowl and start next year now. 

Well said and I agree. At this point I would place the priority on next year as we cannot win the West this year. We need to build for year 3. By next year there will be no excuses left for Frost as he will have had ample time to install his system and will likely have over 75% of his guys playing.

1 hour ago, I am I said:

I see this two ways:

I agree but I don't think his requesting the young guys to step up is because he's confident in getting bowl eligible. I think it's because he truly needs somebody to step up and help them get there. Pretty sure he saw the same lack of effort the rest of us did in that Minny game. Seems like he is anxious to make some needed changes/additions.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

I love the go freshman now mentality. Maybe some of them haven’t been ready, if that is physically or mentally (playbook/assignments)?  By this point in the season, they should be in much better shape than when they first got here.  

Not to mention these freshman who have yet to play have to be restless and have fire in their belly’s. They are probably eager to show what they can do.  I’m sure Coach Frost is hoping these guys are the spark to turn the season around and kick start the future. But they still get to keep their red-shirt. 

I am less concerned about fire in their bellies.  If they understand run fits and technique better than the upperclassmen, it'll be a good thing.

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well said and I agree. At this point I would place the priority on next year as we cannot win the West this year. We need to build for year 3. By next year there will be no excuses left for Frost as he will have had ample time to install his system and will likely have over 75% of his guys playing.

Honestly year 3 is probably asking for too much as well. The offensive line probably won’t be where it should for another couple of years. Until guys like Benhart, Corcoran, Piper and Jurgens are somewhat experienced and further developed, we won’t be that good upfront. You have to hope some of those sophomores further develop as well. Maybe they aren’t that good right now but by the time they are seniors they will be very experienced and further developed. Heck maybe guys like Lynn and Conn may prove to be darn good as well in time? At worst we actually have a little more quality depth. 

• Plus1 4

I think he is going all in to get 2 wins to be bowl eligible.  Not out of desperation, but necessity.  I think he realizes what he “has” isn’t what he “needs”,  Play for a bowl, the extra practices and re-enforce the Nebraska way.  The starters have had 7 games.....And he’s having to go back to the basics.  Again, I think the staff have culpability, but if fans can see lack of effort, no doubt the staff does as well.  

Maybe take a note from TO’s playbook.  Run a “limited” number of plays to flawless execution through multiple formations.  

We we will know in 2 weeks.  Heal up, buy in and be ready!  

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Honestly year 3 is probably asking for too much as well. The offensive line probably won’t be where it should for another couple of years. Until guys like Benhart, Corcoran, Piper and Jurgens are somewhat experienced and further developed, we won’t be that good upfront. You have to hope some of those sophomores further develop as well. Maybe they aren’t that good right now but by the time they are seniors they will be very experienced and further developed. Heck maybe guys like Lynn and Conn may prove to be darn good as well in time? At worst we actually have a little more quality depth. 

Time to start jucin

• Fire 1
37 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

By year 3 we should be on a positive trajectory and competitive in all games. I think most expected that this year but I think Frost will still get a pass. Year 3 he would have 2 full recruiting classes plus his S&C coach to help mold and improve any carryovers.  

If Fleck can excel in Year 3 at Minnesota with lower ranked recruiting classes then we should expect the same from Frost in Year 3. We are seeing the same at Baylor where Matt Rhule's team won only one game in his first year, seven in his 2nd year and they are currently 6-0 this year. And Rhule inherited a dumpster fire with the crap that occurred under Briles with many recruits backing out. Nebraska had a higher composite team ranking in 2017, 2018 and 2019. 

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think he is going all in to get 2 wins to be bowl eligible.  Not out of desperation, but necessity.  I think he realizes what he “has” isn’t what he “needs”,  Play for a bowl, the extra practices and re-enforce the Nebraska way.  The starters have had 7 games.....And he’s having to go back to the basics.  Again, I think the staff have culpability, but if fans can see lack of effort, no doubt the staff does as well.  

Maybe take a note from TO’s playbook.  Run a “limited” number of plays to flawless execution through multiple formations.  

We we will know in 2 weeks.  Heal up, buy in and be ready!  

Lack of ability to execute is a bigger problem than lack of effort.

Barry is amongst the leaders in the conference in tackles.....but he should be the leader.

• Plus1 1