Bye Week Pressers

Mavric

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow...I like that.  

This is a clear message to the upper classmen.  The last few games you haven't been cutting it.  You're going to lose your job to a younger player if they show they are putting the effort in and you're not.

So why wasn't this instituted in training camp?  Or before every game or at every single practice? Shouldn't even need to be said

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, I am I said:

I see this two ways:

1. The freshman he listed just haven’t been ready enough to totally burn redshirts, but they can at least see the field since we aren’t 6-1 and on the cusp of the West. 

2. We need 2 more wins to bowl and other than that we are playing for next year/future. 

I take 2 more likely. This season we need a bowl but other than that, let’s let the younger guys play and just move forward. Frost May be confident enough on two more wins and just wants to go bowl and start next year now. 

I guarantee this is not the case

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree but I don't think his requesting the young guys to step up is because he's confident in getting bowl eligible. I think it's because he truly needs somebody to step up and help them get there. Pretty sure he saw the same lack of effort the rest of us did in that Minny game. Seems like he is anxious to make some needed changes/additions.

So we agree, but I’ll add on yours that if we were 5-2, 6-1 he wouldn’t be calling on them to help. It would be all about just getting “some” guys playing time because they earned it...not necessarily we “need them to step up”. 

Imagine if we were in the hunt and winning games a little more handily...the talk would be about “who can we play 4 games to get experience but not burn” rather than who we NEED to step up so we can win 2? 

So so at this point it’s about the future. Still wanting and needing to win, but calling some freshman cavalry rather than plugging and playing for game reps. Sad we have to do that. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, TheSker said:

Lack of ability to execute is a bigger problem than lack of effort.

Barry is amongst the leaders in the conference in tackles.....but he should be the leader.

The bold is a circular argument to a degree.  One could argue that lack of effort causes the lack of execution.  Slow out of a break, not fighting off the block etc...All lack of effort that causes a lack of execution.  As for Barry, with better effort/execution he COULD be the leading tackler......Hard to prove either one. If Frost is saying effort (and from what I see), I'll go with effort being an issue.  No way are/were we that over matched by Minnie for example.  Their "want to" was light years ahead of ours in that game....

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

The bold is a circular argument to a degree.  One could argue that lack of effort causes the lack of execution.  Slow out of a break, not fighting off the block etc...All lack of effort that causes a lack of execution.  As for Barry, with better effort/execution he COULD be the leading tackler......Hard to prove either one. If Frost is saying effort (and from what I see), I'll go with effort being an issue.  No way are/were we that over matched by Minnie for example.  Their "want to" was light years ahead of ours in that game....

Barry can give all his effort and he still wouldn't be the tackler a Demorrio Williams or a Barrett Ruud was.

Understanding eye placement and fits is necessary too.

And Frost backed off his statement that the DL got pushed around.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Barry can give all his effort and he still wouldn't be the tackler a Demorrio Williams or a Barrett Ruud was.

Understanding eye placement and fits is necessary too.

And Frost backed off his statement that the DL got pushed around.

I have to ask because I am not going back and watching the film. If we did not get pushed around then why was their 10 yard wide holes for their running backs to run through? Is our scheme seriously to let them block you, open a huge hole and put it on the linebackers to tackle people? 

Because Bama and Wisconsin run a 3-4, so do the patriots. And i dont see many people get past their Dline on run plays.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I have to ask because I am not going back and watching the film. If we did not get pushed around then why was their 10 yard wide holes for their running backs to run through? Is our scheme seriously to let them block you, open a huge hole and put it on the linebackers to tackle people? 

Why do you think fits are so important?

Look at the thread on defense, there is some in depth discussion starting there.

Stretch plays will create those wider gaps.  We're going to see teams running a bit of those the rest of the season mebets.

2 minutes ago, HuskerPwr said:

For what it’s worth, I took his comments to mean that he’s looking to use the younger players for depth (while still preserving their redshirts). He didn’t mention a lack of effort from the starters. I expect to see the same starters next game. Am I missing something here?

Bando probably replaces Hixson but I think you are spot on. With 5 games left we should be able to start using many of our freshman and still preserve the shirt

• Fire 2
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Bando probably replaces Hixson but I think you are spot on. With 5 games left we should be able to start using many of our freshman and still preserve the shirt

I tend to agree that there won't be a huge shake up the next 3 games. I think freshman will start getting more looks with the ones in practice. I'd expect the Maryland game to be when we may see a shake up of one or two freshman cracking the rotation and seeing increased game reps. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Yeah, I don't think they're talking about starting Fritzche-Piper-Jurgens-Lynn-Benhart or anything. But there are opportunities to play, and I think if they significantly outperform the starter they're willing to possibly burn redhsirts. But more depth for sure.

I get that Henrich has been dinged up and we're limited by the travel roster, but would've loved to see some guys get an opportunity at LB. Couldn't have been worse. Heck we burned Reimer's redshirt and the coaches rave about his instincts and nose for the ball. Barry/Miller/Honas all seem to lack those traits.

9 hours ago, KingBlank said:

So why wasn't this instituted in training camp?  Or before every game or at every single practice? Shouldn't even need to be said

Because you don't build a program by acting impulsively and focusing on one season at a time. 

There's a concept called delay discounting, which is essentially a way of looking at how big of a difference in reward do you need to push back when you would receive it. The easiest way to look at it is is time x money. So would you prefer a dollar now or 10 dollars next week. You can manipulate both the time and money components of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_preference or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_gratification

So for lack of a better index, think of this like madden ratings for the players. Lets imagine player 1 is a 78 (a senior with no redshirt to burn) and player 2 is a 79 (a Freshmen with a redshirt to burn). Would you rather have the change in 1 improvement now or another season when the freshmen is at their best (maybe an 89 Senior) but that's 4 seasons away? 

The team is essentially doing this math based on the differences between players now, how they project the players, the current other depth on the roster, etc. 

It's easy for us as fans to say start the best player no matter what. Personally, I'd rather have the best product a few years from now. 

• Plus1 6
29 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, I don't think they're talking about starting Fritzche-Piper-Jurgens-Lynn-Benhart or anything. But there are opportunities to play, and I think if they significantly outperform the starter they're willing to possibly burn redhsirts. But more depth for sure.

I get that Henrich has been dinged up and we're limited by the travel roster, but would've loved to see some guys get an opportunity at LB. Couldn't have been worse. Heck we burned Reimer's redshirt and the coaches rave about his instincts and nose for the ball. Barry/Miller/Honas all seem to lack those traits.

Also hopeful for Jackson Hannah.

31 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

Because you don't build a program by acting impulsively and focusing on one season at a time. 

There's a concept called delay discounting, which is essentially a way of looking at how big of a difference in reward do you need to push back when you would receive it. The easiest way to look at it is is time x money. So would you prefer a dollar now or 10 dollars next week. You can manipulate both the time and money components of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_preference or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_gratification

So for lack of a better index, think of this like madden ratings for the players. Lets imagine player 1 is a 78 (a senior with no redshirt to burn) and player 2 is a 79 (a Freshmen with a redshirt to burn). Would you rather have the change in 1 improvement now or another season when the freshmen is at their best (maybe an 89 Senior) but that's 4 seasons away? 

The team is essentially doing this math based on the differences between players now, how they project the players, the current other depth on the roster, etc. 

It's easy for us as fans to say start the best player no matter what. Personally, I'd rather have the best product a few years from now. 

Good point. As hard as it is to suffer through, I am glad Frost isn't burning shirts like crazy in order to maximize results now. Some of these guys will be much better after using this year to develop. Wandale was ready right away to compete, and be effective vs D1 talent, so getting him on the field makes sense. A lot of the OL and DL recruits need that 1st year to redshirt, add mass and settle in to all the moving parts in the Offense. They might be a small upgrade now, but the extra off season could be huge for them in development. It would seem to me that the toughest thing would be to justify it to AM. That would be a challenging to sit down with Adrian and say: "I know you are getting killed back there, you are running for your life, and aren't able to be effective, but I'm keeping the redshirt on all these OL"......I know Adrian gets it, but man he is going through quite a bit in his Soph year to ensure longer term success of the program. It's a good thing he isn't a "all me" guy........

• Plus1 1

I guess I’m in the minority here. I don’t actually expect to see improved play when we plug in the freshmen. They will get meaningful snaps while preserving their redshirt (win-win) but they will make mistakes and commit penalties due to inexperience. Based on statistics others have shared, we literally can’t get much worse in some areas so I don’t expect to see a big drop off in play either. Do most of you really think that the younger players have been outperforming the upperclassmen in practice but the coaches haven’t played them because they want to preserve their redshirt? I’m just not sure.

• Plus1 4