Bye Week Pressers

Mavric

14 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

It's my impression that we have some talented freshmen who could play now, but Frost is really trying to save their redshirt. I'd bet that we see a flurry of young guys, especially on defense

We still have 5 games left plus a potential bowl game. I would let them play and not worry about redshirts...especially if we can have a steady stream of good recruiting classes. Too much redshirting simply delays getting good results from what Frost hopes to accomplish at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Time to start jucin

Stack your stacks. 

Breakfast will be meat, eggs, black coffee, and DBol. Lunch will be a cigarette and 200mg of Cyp. Shoot us up with test so hard we'll have more testosterone than a boy band.

And every wall will be plastered with the image of guys like Roger Estep:

image.png.a1101b38583acd4b34a920e2e1183523.png

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, HuskerPwr said:

I guess I’m in the minority here. I don’t actually expect to see improved play when we plug in the freshmen. They will get meaningful snaps while preserving their redshirt (win-win) but they will make mistakes and commit penalties due to inexperience. Based on statistics others have shared, we literally can’t get much worse in some areas so I don’t expect to see a big drop off in play either. Do most of you really think that the younger players have been outperforming the upperclassmen in practice but the coaches haven’t played them because they want to preserve their redshirt? I’m just not sure.

Correct

8 hours ago, Huskerzoo said:

Because you don't build a program by acting impulsively and focusing on one season at a time. 

There's a concept called delay discounting, which is essentially a way of looking at how big of a difference in reward do you need to push back when you would receive it. The easiest way to look at it is is time x money. So would you prefer a dollar now or 10 dollars next week. You can manipulate both the time and money components of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_preference or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_gratification

So for lack of a better index, think of this like madden ratings for the players. Lets imagine player 1 is a 78 (a senior with no redshirt to burn) and player 2 is a 79 (a Freshmen with a redshirt to burn). Would you rather have the change in 1 improvement now or another season when the freshmen is at their best (maybe an 89 Senior) but that's 4 seasons away? 

The team is essentially doing this math based on the differences between players now, how they project the players, the current other depth on the roster, etc. 

It's easy for us as fans to say start the best player no matter what. Personally, I'd rather have the best product a few years from now. 

This man is a genius. Any of you who didn't redshirt your star freshmen in NCAA football... are lying or were crazy. :) 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheSker said:

Barry can give all his effort and he still wouldn't be the tackler a Demorrio Williams or a Barrett Ruud was.

Understanding eye placement and fits is necessary too.

And Frost backed off his statement that the DL got pushed around.

I had honestly thought, hoped, prayed that JoJo would be used in the role of Super D........An edge rusher like that (as we've seen) is truly a game changer.  I just don't understand why we have such a hard time with the "eyes" and run fits....Boggling for sure.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, TheSker said:

Why do you think fits are so important?

Look at the thread on defense, there is some in depth discussion starting there.

Stretch plays will create those wider gaps.  We're going to see teams running a bit of those the rest of the season mebets.

IIRC, Fleck even mentioned he thought that if he could get us going wide, they could exploit that and the inside runs would open up.....And they and other lanes did...All night.  

I seem to remember TO and Bobby Bowden would bounce ideas of each other throughout the years.  How to beat/defeat/improve etc...Figured they'd only play each other in the NC!  Wonder if Frost and Co will reach out, seek out teams outside the B1G that have stopped B1G teams.  

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

IIRC, Fleck even mentioned he thought that if he could get us going wide, they could exploit that and the inside runs would open up.....And they and other lanes did...All night.  

I seem to remember TO and Bobby Bowden would bounce ideas of each other throughout the years.  How to beat/defeat/improve etc...Figured they'd only play each other in the NC!  Wonder if Frost and Co will reach out, seek out teams outside the B1G that have stopped B1G teams.  

We need two former coaches as analysts to play the role of opposing coaches.  They can help the staff identify weaknesses in our team while the staff concentrates on attacking/defending upcoming opponents.

• Plus1 3
25 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

We need two former coaches as analysts to play the role of opposing coaches.  They can help the staff identify weaknesses in our team while the staff concentrates on attacking/defending upcoming opponents.

Yep...take a page from Saban on this

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, lo country said:

I’ve wondered how much time a coach could dedicate to looking around the country to see what’s going on with the CFB world. There’s certainly enough technology to watch what every other team is doing, but is there enough time? I cannot imagine the time demands of game prep, recruiting, dealing with player issues, press obligations, fund raising obligations, general university personnel obligations, and a bucket full of other obligations that I can not possibly know plus maintaining his own health and being a father and husband . I think it’s probably easier to be an NFL football coach.

on any Saturday, I might watch 10-12 hours of football. I doubt most coaches get that.  

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Undone said:

Stack your stacks. 

Breakfast will be meat, eggs, black coffee, and DBol. Lunch will be a cigarette and 200mg of Cyp. Shoot us up with test so hard we'll have more testosterone than a boy band.

And every wall will be plastered with the image of guys like Roger Estep:

image.png.a1101b38583acd4b34a920e2e1183523.png

These guys were also pretty knowledgeable about other ways to gain strength

east-germany-26865_640.png

• Plus1 1

I'm surprised none of the we need to rotate lineman people pulled this nugget out of the press conference or maybe I just missed it.

“In an ideal situation, you’d have a rotation anyway, and with more depth, we’d like to rotate anyway.” - SF

Sounds like they hope to rotate lineman at some point, but we obviously don't even have the starters yet let alone depth.

• Fire 1