Bye Week Pressers

Mavric

9 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

In my uninformed opinion it would be because the are coached differently. They're probably coached to stay in their lanes and play within the system. Coach chin always talks about playing aggressive, see ball get ball. Maybe that's why all three middle backers play the same way when it comes to over pursuing. Just a guess.

I'll add this: as someone who has played a lot of sports and done some coaching as well, I'll tell you that it's a hell of a lot easier to start with a blank slate and coach them to do it your way than it is to coach players who have been coached a certain way, or developed poor habits. A lot of times, they'll do it the right way in practice, but then they'll revert back to their old habits during games.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Undone said:

Consistency of the coaching quality?

That too.

Fitz was a LB, so that's his strong suit.  Frost was QB, so that's his strong suit.

I don't know who coaches LB for Northwestern, but hopefully Ruud is an excellent position coach for us.

How many different head and position coaches has Barry had during his time at Nebraska?

10 minutes ago, TheSker said:

That too.

Fitz was a LB, so that's his strong suit.  Frost was QB, so that's his strong suit.

I don't know who coaches LB for Northwestern, but hopefully Ruud is an excellent position coach for us.

How many different head and position coaches has Barry had during his time at Nebraska?

Technically Frost was a Safety at a higher level than he was a QB - maybe he can help out the safeties.

But I agree, consistency in the system and what you're being taught goes a long way. I think it's hard to coach over-pursuit out of guys, we'll see more of the kind of coaches Chinander and Ruud are with this next wave. I don't think playing the position automatically makes you a good coach, but it can't hurt.

On the NW LB coach - here's his resume (NW Roster)

During his college career with the Wildcats, McGarigle totaled a school and FBS-record 545 career tackles, (since 2000, when NCAA tackle records began). As a senior in 2005, he posted 156 tackles and was named a semifinalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award and the Dick Butkus Award. He totaled three consecutive 140-plus-tackle seasons after posting 98 in his debut.

50 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I'll add this: as someone who has played a lot of sports and done some coaching as well, I'll tell you that it's a hell of a lot easier to start with a blank slate and coach them to do it your way than it is to coach players who have been coached a certain way, or developed poor habits. A lot of times, they'll do it the right way in practice, but then they'll revert back to their old habits during games.

I agree with this. I don't think the coaches get a free pass, buy by all accounts they're happy with practice and even the outside media people who watched practice thought it was great. I mean even the guys on the bus were impressed. Then we see the game product. I think guys are reverting to bad habits in game especially games like Saturday. 

I really don''t understand the blank slate idea.  These kids have been playing football for well over 5 years, and most over 10 years.  Different coaches, thoughts, schemes, cultures.  Why would this group be any different than on any other team/program.

Very disappointed in the play, and do not have the talent that most of you have about football.  But I think we expect too much, too fast.  We always have.

A lot of negativity on this site, something that is not needed by the team.  I doubt many of them are happy with what is happening.  This is their life, it takes their whole day and every other day of their life.  

I have never coached football,  but have worked with  World class and Olympic level athletes.  There is a certain mind set to true elite athletes.  Then there is another completely different idea for the next tier it seems to me.  How much work they are willing to do, to be competitive with their peers and the top kids want to dominate their peers.  

Every year we hear the same things, how they lose desire it seems.  Why does this happen?  Is Nebraska doing everything right on the physiological side.  Is there something we are missing.  It seems a lot of our players never reach the level they are expected to.  I know it is a tough, but it just seems to me it is a mental attitude.  We fail, we are going to fail, and am I willing to work hard enough to stop the failing, or to do just enough to get by?  I wonder if some think that way.

I guess, at least it appears to me, that some of our kids don't have the motor to be what we need.  I have asked if that is part of the grading system, and how much if it is truly considered. 

Lack of experience will cause problems, but 100% effort can over come a lot of mistakes.

I feel we have the right coach, but watching him, this is killing him.  We need to support the staff, because they hear all this stuff continuously.  Calling out kids by their name isn't fair either.  

I don't know if we make a bowl game or not, but the team truly needs to.

A lot of rattling, just frustrated like the rest of you.

I will express on a quote that was said before the BYE week that hasn't sit well with me. I may very well be reading too much into it, or I might have misinterpreted the context, but the quote about needing a break from each other just doesn't sound good at all. 

Football is a physical sport, you go to war as a team and battle against the other team. Like any sport it creates a bond and a family relationship, that I am sure is amplified in football given the nature of the sport. You hear teams and players talk about playing alongside their brothers and that the team is a family, but here we are, as a team, looking forward to the BYE week because we need a break from each other. That sounds like the locker room isn't as close together as we want to admit. 

Look, I get it,  sometimes we all need a break from our own families and best friends, but this comes across as they need a refresher and a break from each other and there isn't that hunger or drive to instead be working together to overcome the weaknesses together. 

I don't know, like I said, maybe I am reading far to into that quote, but the media pumped it out last week like it was some sort of positive headline, but I did not read it that way. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

I will express on a quote that was said before the BYE week that hasn't sit well with me. I may very well be reading too much into it, or I might have misinterpreted the context, but the quote about needing a break from each other just doesn't sound good at all. 

Football is a physical sport, you go to war as a team and battle against the other team. Like any sport it creates a bond and a family relationship, that I am sure is amplified in football given the nature of the sport. You hear teams and players talk about playing alongside their brothers and that the team is a family, but here we are, as a team, looking forward to the BYE week because we need a break from each other. That sounds like the locker room isn't as close together as we want to admit. 

Look, I get it,  sometimes we all need a break from our own families and best friends, but this comes across as they need a refresher and a break from each other and there isn't that hunger or drive to instead be working together to overcome the weaknesses together. 

I don't know, like I said, maybe I am reading far to into that quote, but the media pumped it out last week like it was some sort of positive headline, but I did not read it that way. 

I think you're always going to have some divisions between the Frost recruits and the non Frost recruits. Some guys may buy in better than others or like Frost or whatever, but I just think that still exists and those guys might never buy in to the level of his recruits. 

• 3 weeks later...

Look,  we all know, according to the umpteen threads currently going: the team sucks, Scott doesnt know anything, chins sucks, AM sucks, wandale is good, our Defense sucks, the O line sucks, play calling sucks, we lack effort, buy in and toughness and the season is over...we all know this.

What I want to know is, where can I get me 1 of these sweet hoodies Scott has on the 1st post of this thread. Can't find it anywhere; a staff exclusive perhaps? 

Screenshot_20191022-184732.png

This is a pretty good summary and pretty accurate, imo:

The coach said Husker coaches went through the Purdue tape in great detail. "There were some serious breakdowns in coverage that I think need to be addressed on the coaching staff and on the team in that game. We gave up too many easy things and there's simple things we can do to fix that. But that's been the story is we can't seem to play great at the same time. The defense played well and special teams played well and put the offense in position to have 20 or 30 points at halftime. Offense didn't do it. Then the offense rallies and gives us two leads in the fourth quarter, and the defense gave up four drives at the end of the first half and second half. We got to put it all together. When this thing turns, it's really going to turn, but we've got to put it all together and play a complete game."

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
On 11/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, KC Sker said:

Look,  we all know, according to the umpteen threads currently going: the team sucks, Scott doesnt know anything, chins sucks, AM sucks, wandale is good, our Defense sucks, the O line sucks, play calling sucks, we lack effort, buy in and toughness and the season is over...we all know this.

What I want to know is, where can I get me 1 of these sweet hoodies Scott has on the 1st post of this thread. Can't find it anywhere; a staff exclusive perhaps? 

Yes, sideline exclusive.   That said, if you could find an adidas rep, they may be able to supply you one.   Most likely that style will be available for the general public in a year or two.

Or where I can pick up one of the script "Huskers" hat:

f.jpg

Adidas ZNE hoodie. Looks like it's from a few years ago, and discontinued - can't find the Husker version in stock anywhere online.