Ads inside of threads are too intrusive.

Cdog923

I have no issue with ads on the site under the idea of making enough revenue to keep HB operating, but a number of topics have ads in the middle of threads, and that's a bit too intrusive. Top of the page and along the margin on the right is fine, because it doesn't interfere with the actual use of the site. 

Also, ads reloading at the top of pages are shifting/scrolling the page; it's terribly distracting when attempting to write a post, particularly when the page scrolls past the reply box. 

• Plus1 6

11 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I have no issue with ads on the site under the idea of making enough revenue to keep HB operating, but a number of topics have ads in the middle of threads, and that's a bit too intrusive. Top of the page and along the margin on the right is fine, because it doesn't interfere with the actual use of the site. 

Also, ads reloading at the top of pages are shifting/scrolling the page; it's terribly distracting when attempting to write a post, particularly when the page scrolls past the reply box. 

The bolded is the bigger concern and worth looking into, IMO. @BigRedMax ?

Some of the current ad positions (including the one directly above this text box) are serving different ad sizes, seemingly in an alternating fashion. I believe the one at the top of the site is doing the same thing. It causes all of the posts, and the text box, to shift up and down constantly in a thread. If I had to ball park, it looks like the ads switch from 90px height to somewhere around 250/300 and then back to 90.

I think we need to explore a standard ad dimension option in order to improve the user experience.

• Plus1 2

• 2 months later...

• 5 weeks later...