Attrition apparently already starting.

Cdog923

1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

I added a little more to my post while you were quoting. Maybe adds a little more context to my thought process on it. 

Jackson is an enigma this year to me. I think he improved greatly in his cover skills (outside of the Indiana game) and I defended him pretty vigorously earlier in the year because of it. I think we all know he’s not a “hiitter” or even a tackler. That’s pretty well established. We know what we’re getting there. But the just standing around watching, that’s just bad. 

Nothing absolves the bad tackling. But it’s how we are right now. BUT, if Jackson puts forth ANY effort there he could have prevented the touchdown (notice I said could have, there is still the fact he would have had to actually made the tackle), and who knows what might happen on the next play. 

Fair enough, I get what you're saying. I will say he's not as bad/unwilling a tackler as people claim. He had a TFL Saturday, and in some of Chins weirder alignments corners end up needing to make a lot cleanup tackles after forcing the runner back inside. And this year at least, Jackson has been ok with those. He definitely seems to have the Deion Sanders "business decision" mentality when it comes to chipping in and assisting though, which is a big problem when the first guy doesn't actually make the tackle.

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Fair enough, I get what you're saying. I will say he's not as bad/unwilling a tackler as people claim. He had a TFL Saturday, and in some of Chins weirder alignments corners end up needing to make a lot cleanup tackles after forcing the runner back inside. And this year at least, Jackson has been ok with those. He definitely seems to have the Deion Sanders "business decision" mentality when it comes to chipping in and assisting though, which is a big problem when the first guy doesn't actually make the tackle.

Ya, Jackson may not be a tackling machine, but then again he is a cover CB, not a Strong Safety who is required to drop down into the box for run support.  It would be nice if our DBs would be outstanding tacklers across the board, but we aren't there yet. I just think the secondary gets put in a lot of bad positions because of a lack of QB pressure, lack of disguising coverages to help them out a little, and LBs inability to make plays as they should. It would not be fun playing DB for this Defense right now....

48 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Maybe. But when it's the same people always bringing up Jackson, maybe they just don't like him. And I don't think the fact that poor fundamentals and tackling has "become standard" is a reason to go find something else to blame - it's both. And I'm just not willing to say well we should've expected the missed tackles, so the real problem here is the 3rd guy not hustling enough. It is a problem, mostly team-wide I might add, but it doesn't absolve the bad tackling.

I think to a lot of folks Jackson is the epitome of the Riley era and when he struggled early on in his career, he got painted with a scarlet letter and people are never going to forget it despite the fact that Jackson by all accounts should be someone that we celebrate for his resilience after he got benched last year.  He took his lashes, buckled down and put in the work to earn back his spot and I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't the first guy that gets drafted next year.  I agree that on the that play it's not a great look but to put this all on Jackson's feet is pretty head scratching to me.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I think to a lot of folks Jackson is the epitome of the Riley era and when he struggled early on in his career, he got painted with a scarlet letter and people are never going to forget it despite the fact that Jackson by all accounts should be someone that we celebrate for his resilience after he got benched last year.  He took his lashes, buckled down and put in the work to earn back his spot and I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't the first guy that gets drafted next year.  I agree that on the that play it's not a great look but to put this all on Jackson's feet is pretty head scratching to me.  

Agree - I think Jackson actually had a pretty good day on Saturday. Was much more aggressive in coming up to stop the run on a couple plays that I noticed. 

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I don’t think anyone (or most at least) are laying most, or any at Jackson’s feet. I think he’s been our most consistent defender this year. 

But that one play unfortunately epitomizes what many have said about the overall effort this year. Many others have done the same thing. He just got caught in this particular instance showing an example of the effort we’ve seen. With the overall team play in this game everyone is frustrated and he kind of got made the poster child for the effort discussion.  

• Plus1 2

22 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Agree on Daniels. We won’t miss this kind of effort from 21.

Sometimes players conserve energy when they dont feel its needed.  Anyone who has played any sport knows, that at times almost any player will choose to conserve energy if they feel its not needed at a particular point.  If you go 100% ALL the time, your 100% isnt as dynamic at other times.  Its just part of it, unless your one of the few people who have an unlimited energy supply. 

I regress though,   regardless of how you feel about that, my point is we do lose our best 2 defenders.  Jackson is certainly our best in the secondary, and without him back their we are much worse.  Also imagine this D-line without Daniels  (who is double teamed most games btw, as a different poster failed to realize).  Without Daniels the rest of our d-line looks worse than it already does.  Daniels is a beast, and im not sure how that other poster fails to realize this.  He gets doubled quite often and still makes plays.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Sometimes players conserve energy when they dont feel its needed.  Anyone who has played any sport knows, that at times almost any player will choose to conserve energy if they feel its not needed at a particular point.  If you go 100% ALL the time, your 100% isnt as dynamic at other times.  Its just part of it, unless your one of the few people who have an unlimited energy supply. 

I regress though,   regardless of how you feel about that, my point is we do lose our best 2 defenders.  Jackson is certainly our best in the secondary, and without him back their we are much worse.  Also imagine this D-line without Daniels  (who is double teamed most games btw, as a different poster failed to realize).  Without Daniels the rest of our d-line looks worse than it already does.  Daniels is a beast, and im not sure how that other poster fails to realize this.  He gets doubled quite often and still makes plays.

When do you project Daniels will get drafted?  What about Lamar?

4 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

When do you project Daniels will get drafted?  What about Lamar?

Look to the draft experts for that.  From what ive heard Lamar is first 2 or 3 rounds.  Daniels im not sure, but he is by far in our top 2 on defense.  Who do you project to get drafted on our team ahead of Daniels or Jackson??