Honas - Basically Starter

Williams - Would be starter

Alston - Likely bust

Taylor- Stud

Rogers - Pushing PT on stacked line

Clark - #3 CB pushing PT

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Gawd this is stupid. Riley is the scapegoat because of this terrible recruiting class that most are gone from. If the 17 class was better we might not need a scapegoat at all.

Right - that part is surely obvious. I mean...who else would be to blame there?

Let me use your own logic now.

My main critique of the narrative is on defense. When our starting lineup looks like this:

Davis | Daniels | Davis

Tannor | Barry | Miller | Domann

Bootle | Dismuke | Taylor-Tritt | Jackson

8 of those 11 guys are Riley guys, right? So when we lay an egg, we're still scapegoating Riley in year 2. "They're talent-less" or "you can't coach the stench of Riley's coaching out of them" is the narrative.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

Right - that part is surely obvious. I mean...who else would be to blame there?

Let me use your own logic now.

My main critique of the narrative is on defense. When our starting lineup looks like this:

Davis | Daniels | Davis

Tannor | Barry | Miller | Domann

Bootle | Dismuke | Taylor-Tritt | Jackson

8 of those 11 guys are Riley guys, right? So when we lay an egg, we're still scapegoating Riley in year 2. "They're talent-less" or "you can't coach the stench of Riley's coaching out of them" is the narrative.  

Instead of extremes, how about "they aren't talented enough?"

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I feel like I should get a cookie for being a week ahead on this. 

The staff rushed a little with the 2018 class due to the later start than anticipated. The 2019 class is going to be the heart of the rebuild. It's possible that the staff working with UCF late hurt us more than we thought. With that said, I think we can trust the staff now that they have the stability...we just have to be mindful of this as a fanbase. 

All I can say is that we as a fan base should know it's going to be rough for another year or two and be patient. I have to imagine the staff understand what's going on. They're going to recruit Juco's where appropriate, but they are going to want their guys and for as long as possible. We'll have another year or two of the team being young followed by a roster as usual. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Instead of extremes, how about "they aren't talented enough?"

So. Damn. Tiring.

I examined that theory by cross-referencing another team's recruiting rankings coming out of high school for their starting front seven. We were on par with them, but we rank #72 in total defense while they rank #1.

We are talented enough on defense to not have such an embarrassment in year 2.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

So. Damn. Tiring.

I examined that theory by cross-referencing another team's recruiting rankings coming out of high school for their starting front seven. We were on par with them, but we rank #72 in total defense while they rank #1.

I don't disagree we should be better.

I just don't put the blame on Chinander that the Davis twins and Mo Barry don't have the ability to play at an all conference level.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

So. Damn. Tiring.

Bro, what don't you get about Wisconsin having a system in place for developing talent and we haven't? You keep beating this drum but it doesn't make you right. When players are brought along in a consistent fashion and able to grow into their full potential of course they are going to be better than a group that has been pulled in 4 different directions and has had their growth stunted because of that. Not to mention a lack of competion because half the recruits you came in with are gone. So there is no one to push you, you are the default starter. That is why the 17 class hurts so bad and that is why comparisons to Wisconsin are stupid. Lets compare again in a decade when we have actually had some consistency like they have.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You keep beating this drum but it doesn't make you right.

Agreed - it doesn't necessarily make me right at all. Earlier this morning I told @TheSker that it'll take a minimum of four seasons total to really have a solid pulse on whether or not Chinander's scheme/coaching/development are inferior or not.

@BIG ERN and I have made arguments as to why Chinander's scheme and alignments fall short and could be very correctable, both in-season and even in-game. I have a feeling that you strongly disagree, and it's ok to just agree to disagree here...right?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Red Five said:

2018 class ain't much better

Updating Warrior's post from the 2018 recruiting thread

AMart- Stud

Mo- gone

Jurgens- Starter as RsFr

Woodyard- Bust

Bell - Bust/not on team

Hunt - Not on team

Jones - gone

Farniok - 2nd sting

McGriff - Not on team

Legrone - Not on team

Williams - Bust

Watt - Never on team

Canty - Never on team

Did a much better job with the D recruits. Signed 10:

Jones - Not on team

Wildeman - Buried by seniors right now 

Tannor - Starter

Smith - Not on team

Honas - Basically Starter

Williams - Would be starter

Alston - Likely bust

Taylor- Stud

Rogers - Pushing PT on stacked line

Clark - #3 CB pushing PT

Thanks for sharing. Which of these 2018 recruits that have left were Rileys vs. Frosts?

In general this is another good reason to play those young guys still in Lincoln that have earned the right to play. There is no need to eait for 2020.

21 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I just don't put the blame on Chinander that the Davis twins and Mo Barry don't have the ability to play at an all conference level.

I agree, we should be better. I don't think that Barry and the Davis twins are the caliber of player that we want/need to have starting here to field top level Defenses, but there really isn't a reason why the Defense should be as deficient in run fits, pursuit angles, leverage, etc. These techniques are fairly base level stuff that shouldn't take 2 years or more to learn and execute. It's understandable when our guys get overpowered by superior players, but IMO there are way too many unforced errors on our Defense right now....

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I agree, we should be better. I don't think that Barry and the Davis twins are the caliber of player that we want/need to have starting here to field top level Defenses, but there really isn't a reason why the Defense should be as deficient in run fits, pursuit angles, leverage, etc. These techniques are fairly base level stuff that shouldn't take 2 years or more to learn and execute. It's understandable when our guys get overpowered by superior players, but IMO there are way too many unforced errors on our Defense right now....

Except as "base level" as they are, coaches teach them differently.

Let's examine a familiar face as an example.  Bo Pelini.

Pelini has taught linebackers at literally every level of football.  Barrett Ruud and Demorrio Williams excelled.  In fact Ruud credits Pelini as his key teacher.

But there were other linebackers who didn't excel under Pelini.  Their technique and "eyes" we're bad.

But that's all basic stuff, right?.......

52 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Except that Mo Barry absolutely does have the ability to play at an all conference level. But his fundamentals and discipline are non existent. Half the plays the offfense doesn’t even need to block him because he takes himself out of the play.  Maybe he doesn’t have the mental ability to be at that level, that we can’t tell by watching, but the physical attributes are there. 

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

Except that Mo Barry absolutely does have the ability to play at an all conference level. But his fundamentals and discipline are non existent. Half the plays the offfense doesn’t even need to block him because he takes himself out of the play.  Maybe he doesn’t have the mental ability to be at that level, that we can’t tell by watching, but the physical attributes are there. 

Not all weightlifters are good football players.

• Fire 1