Attrition apparently already starting.

Cdog923

1 hour ago, Huskerzoo said:

I think this is a great example of zooming out to the point it makes it hard to see things. Attrition isn't a big deal, it happens.

The problem for us is that the attrition number is not evenly distributed. Further, it seems that the attrition is taking the guys we spent the majority of our resources on (the high 3* and 4* guys). Looking at the article you posted, 2015 and 2016 had 30.95% attrition. Not bad by any means. 2017 and 2018 had 45% attrition rate. While that might not seem the most concerning, you also want to consider context. 

The sheet you linked eliminated all context, it just said here are the guys transferring out. Us losing the 2017 and 2018 classes means we don't have the young players right now. If I had to guess, I would think that a lot of the attrition on the spreadsheet are guys who were graduate transfers or were late enough in their careers that they knew they would never see the field and ended up quitting. I can't say that for sure, but what I can say for sure is that we don't know if this is the end of us losing players from the 2017 and 2018 class. 

All teams are hit by this sure, but it's not always concentrated in the same way. Additionally, the context isn't always the same. 

You, and anyone else, are welcome to draw conclusions about context all you want.  I was simply providing the numbers.  I am sure lots of other teams don't have nicely spaced attrition either, but I get where you are coming from.

52 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Man, this is the hot topic around Husker nation right now. Everyone's looking for a reason why this season went off the rails.

Attrition is a huge factor. Inconsistency is a huge factor. And want to is a huge factor.

While it's hard to stomach watching a defense fold over and over, it's easier to understand when you see the chaos some of these guys have gone through in their career:

I love following Chaz. He lays things out, and he's a solid thinker. If you're on the twitter, follow him.

That second tweet is crazy. Three different Defensive Coordinators for these guys = three different schemes.

Four different DL coaches.

Two or three different LB coaches.

Four or five different secondary coaches.

I don't care how many stars followed you out of high school, that's a lot of learning, unlearning and relearning to do in a four/five year span. 

completely agree that people are searching for all kinds of reasons for the bust. 

I think it’s all pointless though, because In my opinion, it isn’t the first place we should look When a program is struggling. playing and enjoying the game of football is not about talent, but about technique and teamwork, individual effort within a complex and multifaceted team framework. 
if any team plays with proper technique, and gives above average effort, that team will always have a chance, and will continue to get better. It’s on the coaches to make sure those two things happen, by teaching proper technique, and using only players willing to give that effort on the proper technique taught. 

it’s simple. Teach proper technique. Enforce it. Reject any and all manifestations of poor effort, and this fan base will love you till the end, no matter the result. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, thatguy said:

completely agree that people are searching for all kinds of reasons for the bust. 

I think it’s all pointless though, because In my opinion, it isn’t the first place we should look When a program is struggling. playing and enjoying the game of football is not about talent, but about technique and teamwork, individual effort within a complex and multifaceted team framework. 
if any team plays with proper technique, and gives above average effort, that team will always have a chance, and will continue to get better. It’s on the coaches to make sure those two things happen, by teaching proper technique, and using only players willing to give that effort on the proper technique taught. 

it’s simple. Teach proper technique. Enforce it. Reject any and all manifestations of poor effort, and this fan base will love you till the end, no matter the result. 

If it was simple, every coach would do it.

Apparently it's a bit more complex than this. Apparently, even talented football players need something more than even good coaches can teach.

If it was this simple, Saban wouldn't have gone 6-6 in his first season at Bama.

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Lol don't put me in that class....I don't want to put it out there if not true. Just didn't know if ppl would DM about the same one. 

DM me the initials of the player you're talking about and I'll tell you more if it's the same.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If it was simple, every coach would do it.

Apparently it's a bit more complex than this. Apparently, even talented football players need something more than even good coaches can teach.

If it was this simple, Saban wouldn't have gone 6-6 in his first season at Bama.

DM me the initials of the player you're talking about and I'll tell you more if it's the same.

Read my post again. I never said that those things would make you go undefeated no matter what. In fact, quite the opposite. You would be sacrificing wins to do those things. That’s why all coaches don’t do it. But in the long run, it always pays off. 
the “if it was great, everyone would be doing it” argument doesn’t work because frankly, most head coaches are either egomaniacs who want their own way, or are simply too lazy to go through the unimaginably hard work of doing things that way. Maybe both. 
And really, that’s why Saban went 6-6 in his first year. It’s why Wisconsin is always great. It’s why Kansas state with their 2 stars always looks to pull at least one huge upset every year. 

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Let me start by saying I havent heard any of the rumors going around but if it involves a defensive player, my money is on one of the Davis twins. Apparently they got into it with some of the coaches.

Not sure if that hurts more than for this years depth. 

I wouldnt be shocked if we had some issues with getting buy in from the Davis twins. 

They’re graduating and have no eligibility.

• Plus1 1