BIG 10 games 10/19

3 minutes ago, I am I said:

Watching how Penn St has come back from damn near death penalty....

I know they had some schollies returned but it was about as bad as you can get and they are in the top 10. Talk about a dumpster fire put out real real damn quick. 

Funny how that works when you have a bunch of 4/5 star guys in your state and the ones bordering it every year. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, obert1 said:

I forgot, what stage of grief are we in?

Denial.  That we will ever look like “insert team” again......

Watching a lot of B1G games these weekend.  I’m sure I’ll get rocked for this comment, but NU needs to have the ability to grind out long, time consuming drives.  If a big play happens,  great.  But gotta be able to get tough yards.  They also have quick passes, draws, counters to counter blitzes.....Unsure if we do.  The better D’s.......we are a ways off. In several areas.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, lo country said:

Denial.  That we will ever look like “insert team” again......

Watching a lot of B1G games these weekend.  I’m sure I’ll get rocked for this comment, but NU needs to have the ability to grind out long, time consuming drives.  If a big play happens,  great.  But gotta be able to get tough yards.  They also have quick passes, draws, counters to counter blitzes.....Unsure if we do.  The better D’s.......we are a ways off. In several areas.

Agree on the ability to drive for time...I do think this O can do that, but we look so damn JV across everything (minus a few Varsity players here and there)...we just look so damn weak, it is frickin pathetic to watch

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Wisconsin thought they could sleep through Illinois.  They sauntered in without being ready to actually play a football game.  Illinois, for all of their troubles, wanted to get their act together badly enough they played a good game.  

Right now, I'm seeing a lot of love for Les Miles after what he did at Kansas.  Somebody on Twitter called them "a pirate ship of a team."  I don't understand that one.  But looking at what Les Miles did in one year compared to where we are at now hurts.  You just can't make ice cream out of road apples.  

I'm not mad at Frost.  I'm mad at the idiots who did this to Nebraska in the first place.  I feel like our program got worse than the death penalty.  It was gutted by a series of horrible decisions over the course of several seasons.  Penn State was able to get back on top because of several reasons.  The state has a lot of talent and people rallied around that program's kids.  They didn't deserve what Paterno did and they certainly didn't deserve to have their entire program destroyed.  People rallied around those kids who stayed and that moved a lot of hearts.  That emotion got the attention of enough recruits to get people to play there.  

Nobody cares about a once-great program that shot itself in both feet and drank bleach shooters while driving a car with no brakes off a cliff over the course of several seasons.  So, there's nothing to rally behind.  Sure, we've got Frost, but he basically walked into a mess somebody else created.  

Nebraska's program has cancer.  It's had it for a long time.  And nobody suddenly cures themselves of cancer. 

So many of the games tonight had teams that wouldn't give up.  They kept fighting right to the end.  Our guys gave up because they've heard that this season doesn't matter because nobody expected them to do much anyways.  Or worse, they've been told time and time again they aren't very good players.  That stuff gets in your head after a while.  

I'm sorry for the rant.  I'm just so damned frustrated with this mountain of a mess and I know it's going to take several years to clean up.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

For some reason my youtube feed is showing me alot of Nebraska games from 10 years ago.  Its hard to believe just where we were as a team just that long ago.  I think its kinda a mixed bag and you could look at it like Callahan left bo with alot of good recruits and that is why he could just pick up and rattle off 8 9 and 10 win seasons.  But it wasnt the same after carl left.  Then it was the same old same old for the next 5 years after that.  Then Bo looses his s#!t, tired of the pressure of lincoln so then he checks out.  Enter Mike Riley, i will say this.  I do think Bill Callahan did alot more to destroy this program than Mike Riley ever did.  Then enter Bill Moos, the savior of the program.  He sees the problems right away, sends Riley packing and hires Frost.  Frost was always a gamble even with what he did at UCF but he understands the program he understands the atmosphere.  He not only played here but lived here, was on this campus as a young one so again he gets it.  Hes the man for the job.  I do agree with everything you just said, it seems like this entire year they have just been playing off.  I dont feel they have recovered from the Colorado loss.  Im sure we could all pencil in Ohio St as a loss but everyone else has shown there weakness we have just failed to expose it.  All the while tipping our entire hand within the first 2 drives of the game and then either we hang on for dear life or its over by the end of the 3rd.  I dont like losing but it happens, i just want to be competitive again like we were under Bo.  I just want to win the games we should and be in that hunt every year.  But this is the Big and no one just lays down in the Big as Ilini just proved.  

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, lincoln84 said:

Oh yeah other teams can be a 30 point dog and win. But that hasn’t been our jam in the past decade. Just sayin.  Remind me how Illinois won? On a field goal? Ouch. We can’t do that either.

But we did so your point is invalid. We beat NW on a field goal. Saying we have basically no chance in games before they are played is asinine and getting real old and tired from posters. Did anyone tell Illinois they were supposed to lay down?

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

But we did so your point is invalid. We beat NW on a field goal. Saying we have basically no chance in games before they are played is asinine and getting real old and tired from posters. Did anyone tell Illinois they were supposed to lay down?

Illinois looks like they know what they WANT to do. 

NU lacks an identity. 

I’m hoping NU builds on some of the things they do well and simplifies the offense after the bye. Throws in a 4-5 play package for the freshman. Give them a taste of B10 football. Get to a bowl!!