Indiana Week Pressers

Red Five

1 hour ago, lo country said:

A quick read through and I don't see any "best day" of practice ever comments.  Maybe I missed it.

Think it was Bootle on Monday. Which again, I'd rather hear it from a player. 

I think some of this was Frost pointing out you play like you practice. People latched onto that and now think he's lying when we have a bad game after some of the "best practices we've had." In reality you do need good practices, but there's more to it than that. I believe then when they say it, I just don't believe this team knows fully how to translate that to success against another team. Yet. 

3 hours ago, Danimal said:

If you tell me you had great practices then lay an egg in every phase of the game as happened with Minn I'm left thinking that either you're full of it or you aren't practicing what/how you should. Neither is a good look. I agree,  just give it to us straight good, bad or meh. If players don't like it getting out that practice was crappy then they should avoid having crappy practices.

Well it's also entirely possible that you do have great practices in controlled situations where every offensive failure could also be called a defensive success.

Then when a real game is on the line and 90,000 people are watching and the first mistake starts messing with your head, the great practices don't mean squat. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well it's also entirely possible that you do have great practices in controlled situations where every offensive failure could also be called a defensive success.

Then when a real game is on the line and 90,000 people are watching and the first mistake starts messing with your head, the great practices don't mean squat. 

As a coach, you also don't want to tell the media and the fans, "Yeah, our guys looked like s#!t all week and we're going to lose this next game." so I'm not sure what exactly fans think they are supposed to say.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, r06ue1 said:

As a coach, you also don't want to tell the media and the fans, "Yeah, our guys looked like s#!t all week and we're going to lose this next game." so I'm not sure what exactly fans think they are supposed to say.

You don't have to say "best/cleanest practice since I've been here!" to avoid saying "We looked terrible." Not that hard to say "practice was good" instead. Again though, I don't think we look terrible in practice. I think this team hasn't figured out how to translate practice success into game success - good practices are just the first step. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

47 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You don't have to say "best/cleanest practice since I've been here!" to avoid saying "We looked terrible." Not that hard to say "practice was good" instead. Again though, I don't think we look terrible in practice. I think this team hasn't figured out how to translate practice success into game success - good practices are just the first step. 

This team hasn't figured out the mental toughness part. 

When things don't work as neatly as they do in practice, try not to look so lost and skittish. Dig deeper and do something different. Coaches, too.

1 hour ago, r06ue1 said:

IDK, maybe whatever all the other coaches say? I dont know what they say because I dont follow any other teams. But I am guessing most coaches dont say best practice ever almost every week. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

And if you really listen to what they're actually saying (and not just some snippet that gets pasted on a forum), they often do throw little negatives in the mix during interviews. Like the other day, Ruud said "we have an execution issue" while not mentioning anyone or anything specific. Coaches usually prefer to balance acknowledging issues and trying not to throw guys under the bus. It's called coachspeak, and most coaches are fairly fluent in it.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

I'll say it again. Our staff meets with the media more than any other school I'm aware of. 

I don't know a lot of how other schools handle their weekly press conferences, but it does look like others schools have the Head Coach, OC, DC, and some players meet with the media on the same day each week.

Frost prefers to do it differently with each coordinator getting their own day, and Frost meeting with the media on the last practice day before a game.  I don't know if it turns out to be "more media access than any other school", I just think it looks that way because Frost and the coaches are spread out over multiple days.

14 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Frost has made it clear in just about every interview that the team has a long ways to go to get to where he wants them. 

You can have a good practice but still need to improve a lot in toughness and the mental side of the game. 

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost has made it clear in just about every interview that the team has a long ways to go to get to where he wants them. 

You can have a good practice but still need to improve a lot in toughness and the mental side of the game. 

Exactly!

Frost has been telling us the knowledge of the assignments is there, which is what you see in practice. The ability to execute (especially on the O-line and linebacker, inside and outside, positions) against high level competition in games is where we are lacking. 

• Plus1 2