Indiana Week Pressers

Red Five

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't know a lot of how other schools handle their weekly press conferences, but it does look like others schools have the Head Coach, OC, DC, and some players meet with the media on the same day each week.

Frost prefers to do it differently with each coordinator getting their own day, and Frost meeting with the media on the last practice day before a game.  I don't know if it turns out to be "more media access than any other school", I just think it looks that way because Frost and the coaches are spread out over multiple days.

We did it the same way when Riley was here I'm 99.9% sure. Its not the coaches its the university or AD implementing this schedule.

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost has made it clear in just about every interview that the team has a long ways to go to get to where he wants them. 

You can have a good practice but still need to improve a lot in toughness and the mental side of the game. 

Right, I agree with you. I just can see why a lot of people are frustrated when they hear about the best practices yet and then see bad performances anyway. I'm sure the coaches are even more frustrated, but whether they intend to or not they have been setting high expectations with the comments.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, I agree with you. I just can see why a lot of people are frustrated when they hear about the best practices yet and then see bad performances anyway. I'm sure the coaches are even more frustrated, but whether they intend to or not they have been setting high expectations with the comments.

well...my opinion is that they need to chill. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

In all honesty. Its going to be what its going to be. I am probably going to cover quite a bit in this so bare with me. I have watched each game this year at least 2 to 3 times each just to watch Offense and Defense play. After doing that, this is my take and it will tie into this weekends game against Indiana. And there will be some sour grapes and disagreements and that is fine. First of all, offense has struggled due to really poor Oline play. The tackles and guards are slow, period. Farniok and Jaimes just do not engage fast enough, nor move fast enough either on pass or running plays. Most of the time while trying to set a perimeter around the QB, all the the opposing teams DE's or OL's need to do is hold off of them a yard or two and wait a second or two and they can then make their move. They are not engaged at all. This gives the DE's and OL's time to determine what is going on and they just push the the tackles to the side easily. I have seen this happen too many times for pass plays and run plays to the edges. The OL's are the biggest winners out of this from what I have seen. They most generally at about 70% end up distrupting or sacking the QB. Or hurrying the QB on screens and such that the play does not develop properly because the tackles essentially did not engage or were not quick enough to get on the block and hold it. The tackles and guards are not opening holes in the middle at all. No push what so ever most of the time. Maybe I am wrong, but if your going to make a hole in the middle for a run you want them to block and and push to split like Moses did the Red Sea. That doesnt happen again about 60% of the time. As for receivers, a majority of them are just running bad routes. JD gets open because he gets it. Noa? It seems like it knows it 40% of the time. The rest just dont seem to get it and cannot get separation. The only tightend that I see performing on a regular basis is Jack Stoll. The receivers and tightends seem to have the speed and get separation, but again, the play is probably there passing wise, and that is why I am overlooking that because the QB is always under duress. That makes it tough because yes, there is a receiver open but it is missed by a second or two because the QB is already running for his life more often than not. 

With that said, a majority of the issue is on the Oline, period. I dont know how or what they run at practice. I dont know if full speed at practice is game speed. Or practice speed. I just dont know. But the Oline ALWAYS seems to be stuck "going through the motions, make sure my technique is right" speed during a game. And when I say that it means they are focused on technique more than anything and lacking the aggression. To focus on that alone and leave the aggression out of it? That make sense? So when it comes time for the game, they are so focused on getting it right, and they are afraid of failure, that they lose their aggressive instinct during games. I truly think that this is part of it and it is a carry over from the Riley days. Why? Because at least under Bo they played with aggression and some wreckless abandon. They could protect the QB most of the time. Riley came in and it seemed like it was cupcake time. And some, if not most of these guys time, was under Riley. Especially in the case of Farniok and Jaimes. So what they do in practice does not seem to translate well to gametime because when its gametime they still fear failure, regardless.

As for the defense, well, they are playing better than they did a year ago. I think most of their problems are that is some cases they are over pursuing and wiffing tackles that they should of had. In some cases I would say too aggressive. They do have a propensity to over pursue and miss gaps. They know the assignment but their desire to get there seems to make them "overshoot" rather than "fill" the gap. Barry is good. He is probably the best we have, but he tends to be a bit overly aggressive and "anxious" and over does it. Why? Because I have seen in most cases he filled the gap, but he has filled the gap so fast that he does not have time to react to the RB as he speeds through the hole and Barry is left last second reaching left or right grazing jersey or pant leg and not able to properly wrap up. Lets just call it over pursue "in the excitement" of things. The defensive line for the most part gets decent penetration but just cannot seem to know when to shed blocks to plug a gap, or "roll outside" to stop the run. I dont know if this again, is just focus on technique or what, but they are fast enough to do the job. The Davis brothers and Darrion Daniels are the best part of that Dline. The ends and OL's just seem like they cannot shed blocks to get to the runner or the QB. Hence the lack of a pass rush or stopping edge runs, nor, creating havoc in the middle on runs. They have time and again gashed us because the defensive ends cannot seem to know when to shed blocks to plug gaps to assist the linebackers. 

As for cornerbacks. Lamar Jackson is probably the best we have, but he cannot do it all. Bootle does a good job but he seems to lack two things, height and speed, for long down the field plays. More often than not, Bootle is there and running as hard as he can with the receiver ,and in his efforts, has to focus on staying with that speedy receiver thus not getting his head turned in time. Or he just doesnt have the height to block what he needs to. 

So overall, I didnt cover everything I wanted but you get it. I hope it makes sense, some of it is talent, some of it is mental. 

Thank you for your time.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BetterDayByDay said:

In all honesty. Its going to be what its going to be. I am probably going to cover quite a bit in this so bare with me. I have watched each game this year at least 2 to 3 times each just to watch Offense and Defense play. After doing that, this is my take and it will tie into this weekends game against Indiana. And there will be some sour grapes and disagreements and that is fine. First of all, offense has struggled due to really poor Oline play. The tackles and guards are slow, period. Farniok and Jaimes just do not engage fast enough, nor move fast enough either on pass or running plays. Most of the time while trying to set a perimeter around the QB, all the the opposing teams DE's or OL's need to do is hold off of them a yard or two and wait a second or two and they can then make their move. They are not engaged at all. This gives the DE's and OL's time to determine what is going on and they just push the the tackles to the side easily. I have seen this happen too many times for pass plays and run plays to the edges. The OL's are the biggest winners out of this from what I have seen. They most generally at about 70% end up distrupting or sacking the QB. Or hurrying the QB on screens and such that the play does not develop properly because the tackles essentially did not engage or were not quick enough to get on the block and hold it. The tackles and guards are not opening holes in the middle at all. No push what so ever most of the time. Maybe I am wrong, but if your going to make a hole in the middle for a run you want them to block and and push to split like Moses did the Red Sea. That doesnt happen again about 60% of the time. As for receivers, a majority of them are just running bad routes. JD gets open because he gets it. Noa? It seems like it knows it 40% of the time. The rest just dont seem to get it and cannot get separation. The only tightend that I see performing on a regular basis is Jack Stoll. The receivers and tightends seem to have the speed and get separation, but again, the play is probably there passing wise, and that is why I am overlooking that because the QB is always under duress. That makes it tough because yes, there is a receiver open but it is missed by a second or two because the QB is already running for his life more often than not. 

With that said, a majority of the issue is on the Oline, period. I dont know how or what they run at practice. I dont know if full speed at practice is game speed. Or practice speed. I just dont know. But the Oline ALWAYS seems to be stuck "going through the motions, make sure my technique is right" speed during a game. And when I say that it means they are focused on technique more than anything and lacking the aggression. To focus on that alone and leave the aggression out of it? That make sense? So when it comes time for the game, they are so focused on getting it right, and they are afraid of failure, that they lose their aggressive instinct during games. I truly think that this is part of it and it is a carry over from the Riley days. Why? Because at least under Bo they played with aggression and some wreckless abandon. They could protect the QB most of the time. Riley came in and it seemed like it was cupcake time. And some, if not most of these guys time, was under Riley. Especially in the case of Farniok and Jaimes. So what they do in practice does not seem to translate well to gametime because when its gametime they still fear failure, regardless.

As for the defense, well, they are playing better than they did a year ago. I think most of their problems are that is some cases they are over pursuing and wiffing tackles that they should of had. In some cases I would say too aggressive. They do have a propensity to over pursue and miss gaps. They know the assignment but their desire to get there seems to make them "overshoot" rather than "fill" the gap. Barry is good. He is probably the best we have, but he tends to be a bit overly aggressive and "anxious" and over does it. Why? Because I have seen in most cases he filled the gap, but he has filled the gap so fast that he does not have time to react to the RB as he speeds through the hole and Barry is left last second reaching left or right grazing jersey or pant leg and not able to properly wrap up. Lets just call it over pursue "in the excitement" of things. The defensive line for the most part gets decent penetration but just cannot seem to know when to shed blocks to plug a gap, or "roll outside" to stop the run. I dont know if this again, is just focus on technique or what, but they are fast enough to do the job. The Davis brothers and Darrion Daniels are the best part of that Dline. The ends and OL's just seem like they cannot shed blocks to get to the runner or the QB. Hence the lack of a pass rush or stopping edge runs, nor, creating havoc in the middle on runs. They have time and again gashed us because the defensive ends cannot seem to know when to shed blocks to plug gaps to assist the linebackers. 

As for cornerbacks. Lamar Jackson is probably the best we have, but he cannot do it all. Bootle does a good job but he seems to lack two things, height and speed, for long down the field plays. More often than not, Bootle is there and running as hard as he can with the receiver ,and in his efforts, has to focus on staying with that speedy receiver thus not getting his head turned in time. Or he just doesnt have the height to block what he needs to. 

So overall, I didnt cover everything I wanted but you get it. I hope it makes sense, some of it is talent, some of it is mental. 

Thank you for your time.

Holy hell... 

2 hours ago, BetterDayByDay said:

Thank you for your time.

Cliff notes please 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, BetterDayByDay said:

Thank you for your time.

Just keeping it going...lol

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

@BetterDayByDay I think almost all of us are in agreement that most of our problems stem from the O-line. (But then there's guys @huskerfan74, who blame Verduzco for Adrian never having a chance to get comfortable in the pocket, lol.) They hesitate so much, like they're trying to sit back and play reactively. And then the D-line has no problem pushing them around because the O-line isn't meeting them with any forward momentum. I don't know if they're being coached that way or what, but whatever they're doing obviously isn't working. And it's funny that you mention Riley and a lack of aggressiveness from the O-line, I even remember Cavanaugh saying something like "I just don't think we've got that killer attitude!"

I've been harping on our OLBs being the biggest problem on defense for over a year now, so no argument from me. The ILBs ain't exactly stellar, either. And what worries me even more is that our LB recruiting doesn't look too promising, either. We largely whiffed on OLBs in our last class. Gunnerson is a great get for this class, but right now he's our one and only LB commit.

And yeah, I think we can say that Noa is a bust, he's certainly not what you'd hope you're getting when you bring in a grad transfer...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1